Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Supra

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-19, 09:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Saw a very good 2 minute add today on TV about the Supra. Had to do with the last gen and the new one on the Nuremberging course. I am buying into the hype just a little bit more.
Old 01-25-19, 02:17 AM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Supras never sold in large numbers. The new Supra will appeal to a lot of BMW enthusiasts and should sell very well despite all the internet hate.
Not necessarily. My strong ressentiment for BMW and it's drivers is probably known yet in this forum.
But I could imagine myself going for this car.
I search something quick and fun to drive. Until know, the RCF was on my radar far in front of any other contestant. But know, I'm interested by this car too. The fact it's much lighter, shorter, narrower and nimbler would be a great thing on the swiss road. Perhaps also a good base for some drift conversion.
Let's wait and see.

Interesting tasty looking bodykits are already starting to show :

Prior-Design : Toyota Supra

Old 01-25-19, 04:33 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

^
M2Comp is the best option for that.
only reason to buy Supra is if you prefer its styling and willing to sacrifice performance.
Old 01-25-19, 04:51 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
^
only reason to buy Supra is if you prefer its styling and willing to sacrifice performance.
People will probably go for styling and cheaper price point over performance for me personally I like the looks of the Supra over the M2. M2 looks like a 2 door version of a sedan.
Old 01-25-19, 05:43 AM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

^
No, it isn't. 55'000$ for a used BMW M2 comp is mental institute statdium. If I want an unreliable money pit for more than 50k, I go for an old Ferrari.
And the few HP less on the Supra will not be of any problem in an environment where 3 years of licence ban and 100 thousand dolllar fines are current things for outpassing the speed limits of 40 kph.

The problem seems to be the very same as for the RCF. Peoples complaining that a car reaching 0-100 kph in 4.4 is slow. But it's the problem of those consumers that have no relations to reality anymore. Sadly, kids are the majority in internet comment section users. It doesn't change that 4.4 is quick as hell.
Old 01-25-19, 05:59 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by plex
People will probably go for styling and cheaper price point over performance for me personally I like the looks of the Supra over the M2. M2 looks like a 2 door version of a sedan.
Personally a M2 is a compromise in a good way. I don't think it looks better than a M3, nor would I think a 1M looks better than a M3. But look at the values of the 1M, pretty sure used, they go for more than a M2 is, new.

If one looks at the specs of the M2, it's all business, no fluff, the way BMW used to be (crooked seat blah blah blah imho are further proof the priority was on performance first). That's why it would be different than the Supra or Z4. But I agree, it's not the best looking car and it suits a totally different purpose than Supra or Z4, where looks absolutely matter.
Old 01-25-19, 08:19 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Benoit
No, it isn't. 55'000$ for a used BMW M2 comp is mental institute statdium. If I want an unreliable money pit for more than 50k, I go for an old Ferrari.
And the few HP less on the Supra will not be of any problem in an environment where 3 years of licence ban and 100 thousand dolllar fines are current things for outpassing the speed limits of 40 kph.

The problem seems to be the very same as for the RCF. Peoples complaining that a car reaching 0-100 kph in 4.4 is slow. But it's the problem of those consumers that have no relations to reality anymore. Sadly, kids are the majority in internet comment section users. It doesn't change that 4.4 is quick as hell.
While BMWs may be "mental stadiums" food for thought here is that the same engine maker makes the B58. Different design etc, but again we have no idea real worldly of how the new Supra will be on initial quality and reliability. I assume the decrease in performance was a reliability pov, but again no solid evidence to that effect.

-Side note
RCF etc is different debate. Performance models are basically a measuring context setup by mfgs. One upping specs is the name of the game. 0.1 second superiority or 100kgs of reduced weight is all part of the show. It might not mean much to a a lay person, or in city driving where the limit is 40, but lets be real here sport coupe comparos are a thing, improved specs even if they improve the performance on the track or the dragstrip are all part of the game plan.
Old 01-25-19, 08:53 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by coolsaber
While BMWs may be "mental stadiums" food for thought here is that the same engine maker makes the B58. Different design etc, but again we have no idea real worldly of how the new Supra will be on initial quality and reliability. I assume the decrease in performance was a reliability pov, but again no solid evidence to that effect.

-Side note
RCF etc is different debate. Performance models are basically a measuring context setup by mfgs. One upping specs is the name of the game. 0.1 second superiority or 100kgs of reduced weight is all part of the show. It might not mean much to a a lay person, or in city driving where the limit is 40, but lets be real here sport coupe comparos are a thing, improved specs even if they improve the performance on the track or the dragstrip are all part of the game plan.
Again I've not been that into the details of this car, but when you say BMW B58, that's something I know from what was the 340i, and I felt was a "cheap out" in the evoloution from N54 to N55 to B58. Meaning do more with software, use lesser hardware. I know the exhaust went to 1/4 the cost of the N54 to a full fake G6 like exhaust. I get the "what can you do about it" thinking, I guess the only thing is to buy something else...I mean they even make an acoustasonic guitar today, and one day, there'll be a question why you don't think it's better, it's 5:1!
Old 01-25-19, 09:46 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Saw a very good 2 minute add today on TV about the Supra. Had to do with the last gen and the new one on the Nuremberging course. I am buying into the hype just a little bit more.
Saw the same ad on a youtube video and was both sad and excited at the same time. I'm happy the Supra is back, sad that it isn't a Toyota.
Old 01-25-19, 09:57 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Benoit
Not necessarily. My strong ressentiment for BMW and it's drivers is probably known yet in this forum.
But I could imagine myself going for this car.
I search something quick and fun to drive. Until know, the RCF was on my radar far in front of any other contestant. But know, I'm interested by this car too. The fact it's much lighter, shorter, narrower and nimbler would be a great thing on the swiss road. Perhaps also a good base for some drift conversion.
Let's wait and see.

Interesting tasty looking bodykits are already starting to show :

Prior-Design : Toyota Supra
I like front bumper. Definitely makes the car look much better. The stock front bumper is just hideous.
Old 01-25-19, 11:15 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Again I've not been that into the details of this car, but when you say BMW B58, that's something I know from what was the 340i, and I felt was a "cheap out" in the evoloution from N54 to N55 to B58. Meaning do more with software, use lesser hardware. I know the exhaust went to 1/4 the cost of the N54 to a full fake G6 like exhaust. I get the "what can you do about it" thinking, I guess the only thing is to buy something else...I mean they even make an acoustasonic guitar today, and one day, there'll be a question why you don't think it's better, it's 5:1!

There are some plus points in the N54-55->B58 motor. One of the best things they might have done IMHO, is that the B58 runs two water pumps. Main one is mechanical (electrics of the previous N series were terrible) and an aux electrical for what I assume is like a turbo timer time bit (runs after engine shutoff).

Good Stuff in some directions. But I agree that the motors post the N54 are not as robust or overbuilt.

Tuneabilitys seems interesting. Have not kept up with the B58s series platforms, but a quick look on dinan stage 2 Elite with full factory warranty support (as in anything Break DINAN will fix it) is
$1200 Max gains of up to +40 HP and +40 lb-ft TRQ (Crank); up to +35 HP and +35 lb-ft TRQ (Wheel)

$3XX Sport DINANTRONICS Sport Maximum Gains (B58): Up to40 HP, 50 lb-ft of torque.(No powertrain warranty 1 yr only on the Dinan tuner).

Of course nothing is legal in Cali, but thats besides the point. Probably the next tunes probably are going to be JB4s tune, havent seen anything yet.
Old 01-25-19, 12:25 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

M2 Comp uses real ///M engine.
Has brakes that are twice the size of the ones on Supra.
Uses DCT Transmission not regular Auto.
Cooling is MUCH better.
Engine is a true twin turbo that has much more potential than B58.

This whole comparison between M2 vs Supra based on performance is laughable. You want to argue that Supra looks better or sounds better or has much better brand name - i will entertain that. But when it come to engineering and mechanical parts between the 2 - the M2 Comp is way superior.
Old 01-25-19, 12:46 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Cooling is MUCH better.

This whole comparison between M2 vs Supra based on performance is laughable. You want to argue that Supra looks better or sounds better or has much better brand name - i will entertain that. But when it come to engineering and mechanical parts between the 2 - the M2 Comp is way superior.
True, but not everyone cares about performance, especially when comparing cars that are already high performance, and an appreciable difference can only be felt when driven at the limit. When I went from m235i to M2, with the exception of the louder exhaust I really can't tell much of a difference in handling or acceleration. The stupid DCT transmission in the M2 irritates me, and I wish it had a regular 8 speed with a normal park button. I do not have and do not want a single mod on it (or on my wifes X6M) besides a "watch out for motorcycles" bumper sticker.

There used to be a time when performance cars were strictly for enthusiasts, and came with manual transmissions and harsh riding suspensions. This is not the case anymore. BMW M cars are being sold like hot cakes to people that are not hardcore enthusiasts, but rather want premium cars with high level of tech, luxury and performance. The new Supra is aimed to the same general type of buyer. The purists will cry on the internet, and yet the world moves forward.
Old 01-25-19, 01:00 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

^
I’m sorry you are buying these cars for name only.

But there are some of us that look under the skin not just the badge.
Complaining about DCT smoothness or rough suspension on ///M car is silly. Unfortunately consumers like you have helped to make them less focused. Therefore new ones have AWD and Auto tranny with a P button...

You were aware i hope the M2 and M235 used same engine.
If you took it out on some backroads maybe to Bear Mountain if you are around NYC - im sure you will see difference in handling.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 01-25-19 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-25-19, 01:04 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Cooling is MUCH better.

website shows top speed as 173 in brackets [173], and 150 without, but no explanation....bet the supra won't touch the M2's lease price of $959/mo. This is a car you buy if you ask me.

edit found it, car only has 3 options, executive package, skip, dual clutch, skip, m driver's package, add. This takes the top speed to 174. Looks like a typo it's either 173 or 174, either is fine by me.

edit2--since no xenons only LED, ok, get the executive package and M driver's package, skip dual clutch--this is a car, and the reason I got a used LS430 in 2016--to avoid spending the money on an M2 or Golf R.

Last edited by Johnhav430; 01-25-19 at 01:09 PM.

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Supra