Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Supra

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-19, 01:57 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

It's nice to see Toyota do something like this. They didn't have to. Nice feel good story.
This is nothing really new, Chevy does it when they release a new Corvette like the new ZR1 and Dodge/SRT did it with the gen 5 Viper in 2013.
Old 01-20-19, 02:05 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by plex
Interesting write up by one of the vendors in the MKIV aftermarket space.

Link: https://www.suprastore.com/newsuwhwe...qZJlv4mHiSS7_k
I remember that place back in my Supra days, they always had some good Supra products. They make some good points but comparing a 20 year old car to this new Supra is kind of a joke. Of course it is going to be a better car, it’s 20 years newer. Plus comparing 320hp back then to today to the new Supra is kind of a joke too since even my SUV has 475hp. I’ll try to be more positive about the Supra until I see them in person and see the performance numbers and how stout the engine is to tuning and adding larger turbos, etc.
Old 01-20-19, 02:18 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by plex
Interesting write up by one of the vendors in the MKIV aftermarket space.

Link: https://www.suprastore.com/newsuwhwe...qZJlv4mHiSS7_k
It is funny they are now attacking the last Supra just to try to make the new one not seem as bad. They keep saying the last one did 0-60 in 5.1 sec when it did it in 4.6 in some tests, we have no proof yet the new Supra is going to do 0-60 in 4.1 seconds either. They also keep trying to say the last Supra was just a GT car and it was not able to handle like a small 2 seater which is simply not true, the last Supra handled very well, especially for its size and against competitors at the time, it was not just some 0-60 muscle car. Looks wise, the last Supra was just a much better looking car, no getting around that, the new one is just odd looking, stubby, looks more like a Miata or 370Z which is not a compliment. They also say the new Supra is 5K cheaper then a new Corvette but don't mention the Corvette looks much better and has much more power.

Why would a site/company trash such a legendary car they worked with so long just to try to make a newer one seem better?

I give Toyota credit for coming out with this sports car and having 2 sports cars in their lineup but they should not have called this car a Supra if this was the way they were going to do it.
Old 01-20-19, 02:30 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UDel

Why would a site/company trash such a legendary car they worked with so long just to try to make a newer one seem better?
Easy answer, there is a new crop of customers to serve and they want to be front and center. The old Supra really isn’t providing them with new customers.
Old 01-20-19, 04:11 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm

Easy answer, there is a new crop of customers to serve and they want to be front and center. The old Supra really isn’t providing them with new customers.
Exactly it's the new kid on the block and with a name like SupraStore they are getting in on the aftermarket.
Old 01-20-19, 04:39 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This Supra actually has a bigger problem than the MKIV guys being upset with it. The Premium version is $54K? That's in the 10-15 grand neighborhood of the Z4 M40i at $65K. I like this Supra but it's pricing is what's going to be the issue. The actual driving and testing should give the Supra some positives because it is a coupe vs the Z4 being a convertible.

But if in a future scenerio somehow all bets are off and the Bimmer boys build their version of a coupe... well I dunno.

Old 01-20-19, 08:05 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Barrett Jackson always does this with #1 VIN, its a charity write off thing
Old 01-20-19, 08:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Do we live in a world where $10-15k is not a lot of money? The Z4 is 20-30% more expensive. $10-15k would absolutely be a factor in my choosing a Supra over a Z4
Old 01-20-19, 08:33 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I guess I don't understand the almost religious devotion to the Mark 4 Supra. I owned each of the early Supra's and the last was not my favorite. My first was a '79 Celica Supra which was basically a Celica with a longer nose and a 6 cyl engine. It was smooth but not very fast. In 1982 I bought a luxury version of the Supra which is now considered the MKII. It was unique at the time for having the "right stuff". It had dual ohc engine, 4 wheel disc brakes, and 4 wheel IRS, just like a race car. I next had a 1997 Turbo. This car was very luxurious and quiet on the road. It was much faster than expected even though it was heavy. The steel targa roof bolted on and stiffened up the chassis which was very floppy with the roof off. My first impression of the '92 Supra was that it was ugly. I bought one anyway and regretted all the time I had it. It was fast (as 320 hp was back then) but it was ugly, noisy, and rough riding. The worst part for me was that for all the loss of civility, it was a dog on the roadcourse. I was lucky enough to get a good price for it on my next car which was my first Lexus, an SC400.
Old 01-20-19, 09:34 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Do we live in a world where $10-15k is not a lot of money? The Z4 is 20-30% more expensive. $10-15k would absolutely be a factor in my choosing a Supra over a Z4
Almost impossible to find a Supra at MSRP.
Production for first 6months will be limited and dealers are already doing ADMs of $15-20k.

Z4 should be easy to get at invoice shortly after launch.

Having said all that i don’t think these cars will crosshopped unless a Z4 coupe makes a comeback.
Old 01-21-19, 06:19 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Of course it's a lot of money. But the two cars are not the same. Actually, if it were me, I'd buy neither of these cars brand new, I'd get a M3 used (I looked them up online and find the prices reasonable for a '18 with 6k miles--imho that happens where there are ones on the lot for sale brand new). I realized my tastes and my brothers' are completely different, as he bought a brand new Ford Raptor this weekend. Hats off to him he learned from our dad and paid cash (and hats of he has that kind of money to blow hahahahahahahahahaha).

Just as my tastes are different than my brother, so are the Supra v. Z4 buyers'.
Old 01-21-19, 07:25 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

for many buyers it's irrelevant. and for many buyers, they see their payment go up $50, they're thinking so what.
Old 01-21-19, 07:46 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
This Supra actually has a bigger problem than the MKIV guys being upset with it. The Premium version is $54K? That's in the 10-15 grand neighborhood of the Z4 M40i at $65K. I like this Supra but it's pricing is what's going to be the issue. The actual driving and testing should give the Supra some positives because it is a coupe vs the Z4 being a convertible.

But if in a future scenerio somehow all bets are off and the Bimmer boys build their version of a coupe... well I dunno.

ermagerd... if that was actually built like that... wow,
Old 01-21-19, 09:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Almost impossible to find a Supra at MSRP.
Production for first 6months will be limited and dealers are already doing ADMs of $15-20k.

Z4 should be easy to get at invoice shortly after launch.

Do you see how the statements "the pricing is going to make the vehicle fail" and "you won't be able to get one at MSRP, they will mark them up 15-20k" are contradictions?

If as you say nobody will buy this because the Z4 is "only $10-15,000 more", then dealers certainly won't be able to command an ADM.

Doesn't make any sense.
Originally Posted by bitkahuna
for many buyers it's irrelevant. and for many buyers, they see their payment go up $50, they're thinking so what.
The difference is way more than $50 a month. Assuming a 60 month finance at 4% interest $10,000 is $180 a month. $15,000 is $276 a month. Sorry, but that's a big difference and its a difference that is going to get peoples attention and impact their decision making. $10-15,000 difference in price on a $50,000 car puts the Z4 in an entirely different league.
Old 01-21-19, 10:24 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Do you see how the statements "the pricing is going to make the vehicle fail" and "you won't be able to get one at MSRP, they will mark them up 15-20k" are contradictions?

If as you say nobody will buy this because the Z4 is "only $10-15,000 more", then dealers certainly won't be able to command an ADM.

Doesn't make any sense.

The difference is way more than $50 a month. Assuming a 60 month finance at 4% interest $10,000 is $180 a month. $15,000 is $276 a month. Sorry, but that's a big difference and its a difference that is going to get peoples attention and impact their decision making. $10-15,000 difference in price on a $50,000 car puts the Z4 in an entirely different league.
I was gonna say the same thing--I borrowed ~ $16k when I bought the 335i and the payment over 36 mos. was much more than $50. I still think that as a general rule, the majority don't cross shop Toyota and BMW. You and I might because we don't care as much about the brand name as we do about the substance, but that is more the exception...

It used to be a BMW coupe comes out and it cannot be purchased, it must be ordered, due to demand > supply. But that was not the case starting with the F. Me, I would prefer to order, it's your car, made the way you want, down to basically everything.

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Supra