Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Supra

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-19, 10:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,767 Likes on 1,976 Posts

$150-200 a month influences my leasing decisions and I'm at a payment already thats over $1,000 a month...
Old 01-21-19, 03:21 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
This Supra actually has a bigger problem than the MKIV guys being upset with it. The Premium version is $54K? That's in the 10-15 grand neighborhood of the Z4 M40i at $65K. I like this Supra but it's pricing is what's going to be the issue. The actual driving and testing should give the Supra some positives because it is a coupe vs the Z4 being a convertible.

But if in a future scenerio somehow all bets are off and the Bimmer boys build their version of a coupe... well I dunno.

so aside from $11k difference between loaded Supra and base Z4, we also have competition in the form of facebook user xtomidesign, and if BMW hires them to build a coupe, then Supra is really done for. Good catch.
Old 01-21-19, 03:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
$150-200 a month influences my leasing decisions and I'm at a payment already thats over $1,000 a month...

You've made some posts in the past, though, suggesting that, in your life, money is not an object, and you'd send your kids even to Harvard if that is where they wanted to go. Not trying to be nosey, just pointing that out.
Old 01-21-19, 03:45 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Do you see how the statements "the pricing is going to make the vehicle fail" and "you won't be able to get one at MSRP, they will mark them up 15-20k" are contradictions?

If as you say nobody will buy this because the Z4 is "only $10-15,000 more", then dealers certainly won't be able to command an ADM.

Doesn't make any sense.

The difference is way more than $50 a month. Assuming a 60 month finance at 4% interest $10,000 is $180 a month. $15,000 is $276 a month. Sorry, but that's a big difference and its a difference that is going to get peoples attention and impact their decision making. $10-15,000 difference in price on a $50,000 car puts the Z4 in an entirely different league.
Most ppl will buy it for the Supra name which has much more cache then Z4.

Z4 will hit the market first as BMW negotiatiated this.
Supra will roll out a few months later.
Z4 has never been a big seller and doesn’t have a huge enthusiast following like the current M2, M3/4 etc.

To me both cars cater to really different buyers. It will be easier to buy a $65k Z4 for $60 then to get Supra that MSRP for $54k at $60k due to ADM. I would say this will be the case for at least first 6months.

I think the Supra will sell in much higher #s than Z4, probably 2 to 1.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 01-21-19 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-21-19, 04:36 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

Most ppl will buy it for the Supra name which has much more cache then Z4.

Wrong! I'll get the Supra not for the name, but because I think its a great looking BMW two seater coupe with great performance. I never liked BMW Z series because they are convertibles and look weird, so I always went for the coupes. So far I had 3 BMW coupes - e92 335, m235i and the M2. The Supra name is an added bonus of course, but I'd still get this car even if it was a joint effort with Nissan and it was called Z300. Or if it was just a new BMW series.

Like I said before, the Supra name and heritage is great, but I'm not going to wait til my pubes turn great for Toyota to make another Supra. I like the new Supra on its own merit.

Old 01-21-19, 04:54 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

LOL ok well thats you.

Go on MKV forum - most of those guys never owned a BMW. They just want to say they have a Supra and could care less its 99.9% bimmer. The aftermarket support will also drive many ppl to it, im sure every tuner will have one at SEMA with a Widebody kit.

BTW good luck on getting one anytime soon.
Old 01-21-19, 05:54 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

LOL ok well thats you.

Go on MKV forum - most of those guys never owned a BMW. They just want to say they have a Supra and could care less its 99.9% bimmer. The aftermarket support will also drive many ppl to it, im sure every tuner will have one at SEMA with a Widebody kit.

BTW good luck on getting one anytime soon.
I'm not sure aftermarket support is a criteria for most buyers of a car. The 86/BRZ twins didnt sell in relatively large numbers even with the massive aftermarket support.

And as to the above posts allided to, $55k is already a lot of money for a car for most folks. To spend thousands more to "soup" it up is beyond what most people will want to do. Aftermarket support will become relevant once these start showing up as used affordable second hand value rockets.
Old 01-21-19, 06:37 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

I think the twins have sold in decent #s.
They built loyal following overtime all over the world not just US and the aftermarket support has been very strong obviously.

The idea is to graduate those owners to the Supra as they get older with higher income.
The customer base is there that want a faster great handling 86/BRZ.

As far as aftermarket support - i think most owners of performance cars modify them in some way - whether its aftermarket accessories or ones provided by manufacturer themselves like BMW Mperformance parts, Subaru STI parts, etc

Still really enjoy my BRZ - they did a masterful job on the chassis, seating position, steering feel, seats, shifter feel, etc. All for under $30k is amazing and weighs 2,700lbs

Last edited by RNM GS3; 01-21-19 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-21-19, 09:23 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Supra's chief engineer said the Cayman is the benchmark for this Supra, meaning that Toyota was not going for a GT/Super car - as the last Supra is described by fans. So basically you get a Cayman competitor that in its premium version tops out where the Cayman starts. It's no coincidence that the Porsche starts at $56K while the Toyota ends at $55K. That comparison aside, there is also no denying that this is a Supra with the Z4's heart and soul.

How's a Toyota dealership going to hype this car? Will the salesperson say, "oh this is a Bimmer under the skin, It's a Z4 with all the good stuff that makes BMWs fun to drive." Or will they say, "it's our answer to the Cayman, but you won't spend $65-70K to get a proper sports car.

Toyota's pricing is going to be an interesting experiment. The base Corvette runs 425hp and it starts in the mid-50s, although it's a different demographic of buyers. Corvette has beome an old rich man's car. Are the Cayman and the Supra even going to be cross-shopped. Luxury brand vs a mass market company's sports car?

The Supra should get really good driving reviews because of course, it's got all the things that make BMWs praiseworthy. How it sells at $55K over the long run will be a big question mark.
Old 01-21-19, 10:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,502 Likes on 1,645 Posts

my math may have been off and everyone has a level of sensitivity to prices and variance, etc., but SOME as i pointed out, simply wouldn't care if a car was $10-20k more if it was what they wanted.

i just got back from paris where i saw a line of over 100 chinese women waiting to buy louis vuitton bags at over $1000 ea. like it was nothing...
Old 01-22-19, 04:50 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
my math may have been off and everyone has a level of sensitivity to prices and variance, etc., but SOME as i pointed out, simply wouldn't care if a car was $10-20k more if it was what they wanted.

i just got back from paris where i saw a line of over 100 chinese women waiting to buy louis vuitton bags at over $1000 ea. like it was nothing...
You were the guy who said to buy amazon stock instead of paying cash for things. A little late came the advice but we get it. Did you have vmWare, that was pretty sweet Dec. 28 too.

all kidding aside how does math come into play with a $50/mo. figure, that's more common sense.
Old 01-22-19, 05:02 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You've made some posts in the past, though, suggesting that, in your life, money is not an object, and you'd send your kids even to Harvard if that is where they wanted to go. Not trying to be nosey, just pointing that out.
I think money is always an object--do you know anyone to whom it is not? I have a buddy who really made it, but he's the same guy I went to the beach with, skied with, etc. as a 17 y.o., today. At my wedding he pointed out it was $39/night for a rollaway bed and $59/night to park, plus they drove from Boston on a Fri. night. I think he deducted these from the wedding present lol

Again, unless one's household income is > $250k, Harvard (all the elites) is cheap. When kids get into these elite schools, they are doing their parents a financial solid. The only other thing is they consider a % of assets as well. Meaning, your household income is $60k and your kid gets in, it's totally free. Then there is a progressive scale. At the other end, your income is $250k, it's approximately $25k. That's cheaper than a state university. A friend told me her girl at Yale, the exact figure was 4.6% of assets, which she griped that as a single mom she was being penalized for being a saver and for paying down her mortgage, as if some window dressing is needed (ironic but fair, right?). When I went to school there was a question of whether schools were truly need blind--I kind of like how they settled that question. At the same time acceptance was 19% for us, it's closer to 5% today, making it a lottery of perfect applicants. Should a 5 y.o. be yelled at like John Tortorella yells at his players? Unfortunately some say yes, if they are gonna make it (I say no).

edit: I looked it up and the number Harvard publishes is $12,450 as the average contribution from parents. I don't see any reason for them to fudge that number. Typical scholarship and grants $56,550, with the rest being $3,300 of students working during term and during summers.

Last edited by Johnhav430; 01-22-19 at 05:10 AM.
Old 01-22-19, 09:40 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,502 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Ok harvard tuition and admission policies is hardly relevant to the Supra. Back on topic please.
Old 01-22-19, 10:06 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

I think the twins have sold in decent #s.
They built loyal following overtime all over the world not just US and the aftermarket support has been very strong obviously.

The idea is to graduate those owners to the Supra as they get older with higher income.
The customer base is there that want a faster great handling 86/BRZ.

As far as aftermarket support - i think most owners of performance cars modify them in some way - whether its aftermarket accessories or ones provided by manufacturer themselves like BMW Mperformance parts, Subaru STI parts, etc

Still really enjoy my BRZ - they did a masterful job on the chassis, seating position, steering feel, seats, shifter feel, etc. All for under $30k is amazing and weighs 2,700lbs
Highly doubt those 86 owners will graduate straight to a Supra. As people age, their lives and priorities change. What was once fun to have will become burdensome or even tiring. And as they have higher income, their tastes will change. I dont know how everyone else is, but as I got older, comfort, convenience, value, family, kids and etc became more of a priority. Expensive 2 doors are waaay down on the list and far off in the future and even then I'm thinking about a use LC500 in 10 yrs.
Old 01-22-19, 11:15 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by situman
Highly doubt those 86 owners will graduate straight to a Supra. As people age, their lives and priorities change. What was once fun to have will become burdensome or even tiring. And as they have higher income, their tastes will change. I dont know how everyone else is, but as I got older, comfort, convenience, value, family, kids and etc became more of a priority. Expensive 2 doors are waaay down on the list and far off in the future and even then I'm thinking about a use LC500 in 10 yrs.
I agree. I think that a lot has changed in just the last 10 years. BMW had that notion--when my wife and I attended the 5th gen 7 series launch (F), a guy with a German accent said, "There are those of you who own a 7, and there are those of you, who will." This was the thinking then, but 12 years have gone by. They thought they were grooming people like myself into the car, showing it to us and sailing us around the staute of liberty with fancy hors d'oeuvres. Yet I am talking 6 speed manual Corollas and 2006 LS430s. Boy did they read me incorrectly.

All kidding aside I don't think people are groomed into vehicles and it would be a waste of marketing dollars. It's more live for today, or rather, the next 36 mos. Kids are huge, when I was up in Montréal my colleague's daughter was seriously injured and he could not focus the entire time and this was a project with major exposure for us. I totally understood and did all I could to help. There are certainly new sets of priorities as we get older. I think either car will be fine, just that I'd prefer the BMW in this case. I wouldn't kick a Supra out of the stable, pretty certain it would be a blast to drive.

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Supra