Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Supra

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-19, 12:35 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
Correction. Toyota decided to develop the new Supra with BMW and it became a let down. If Toyota engineered it themselves, they could have done better. I mean, honestly, Toyota gave us the Lexus LFA. Rebuilding the Supra from the ground up would be easy for them. They just took the easy way out and it shows.
They only built 500 LFAs with $400k pricetag. So much for that. When it comes to the rest of their attempts at performance vehicles, they've only built half assed disappointments that can't hold a candle to the competition. They simply do not have the platform to build the Supra, and they are not going to invest in it. I don't have much faith in Toyota.

Proven BMW unreliability with a Toyota nameplate.
BMW unreliability is greatly exaggerated, and often it is the price of BMW being the first to adopt newest tech, while Toyota lags a decade behind. My 2012 X5 did have many issues, but I haven't had a single issue with my 2015 m235i, 2018 M2 or 2017 X6M.

That's what we got here. How is this "proven BMW" performance when the Toyota Supra got the detuned version of the Z4? BMW totally bait and switched the Supra. Its more of a "Yeah. You can use our engine but our car has to be faster."
Can't blame BMW for doing that. There are plenty of aftermarket tunes for BMW engines, I'm sure there are going to be options for the Supra.
Old 01-16-19, 12:43 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Agreed. This is why the Toyota/Subaru FT86/BRZ did so well. It didn't have big shoes to fill and stayed Japanese.

I think this Mark 5 Supra should have been what the Toyota FT86 should have been. That or call this Mark 5 the Celica.
Those two have not done well, they sell poorly now and never sold in big numbers. The reviews have been pretty good for them though.

Old 01-16-19, 12:53 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 186 Likes on 165 Posts

I guess to people not like us it won't matter; we are all car guys. But you'd think Toyota would be aware of the people like us.

Sad the car isn't 100% Toyota, but in these days I guess I understand why Toyota won't invest billions for one car.

They could have thrown the new LSs ttV6 in there, at least. I'm sure it would have fit fit, as an I6 takes up much more room.
Old 01-16-19, 12:54 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

This meme takes the prize

Old 01-16-19, 01:29 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
They only built 500 LFAs with $400k pricetag. So much for that. When it comes to the rest of their attempts at performance vehicles, they've only built half assed disappointments that can't hold a candle to the competition. They simply do not have the platform to build the Supra, and they are not going to invest in it. I don't have much faith in Toyota.

BMW unreliability is greatly exaggerated, and often it is the price of BMW being the first to adopt newest tech, while Toyota lags a decade behind. My 2012 X5 did have many issues, but I haven't had a single issue with my 2015 m235i, 2018 M2 or 2017 X6M.

Can't blame BMW for doing that. There are plenty of aftermarket tunes for BMW engines, I'm sure there are going to be options for the Supra.
Again - the point of the Lexus LFA was that Toyota can build a great car if they tried. It wasn't the point of how well it sold or whatever. It was the fact that the Lexus LFA was a hell of a car.

So they didn't have the platform to build the Supra so they let BMW make it? They could have made it from the ground up or don't make it at all. The nameplate is super important, super important. Learn from Honda's mistake. They made the NSX what it was not suppose to be and it flopped hard. This Supra will probably see the same faith. Look at the forums and maybe auto magazines - majority of them hate this thing.

That's a horrible excuse. You are defending BMW's horrible reliability because they are first to adopt new tech. One can argue the same thing - Toyota delays their tech because they are number 1 in reliability.
Besides - BMW is hardly fast when it comes to new tech. Their entry-level cars 2 series, 3 series and etc.... lack cooled seats. Their cars lack a full digital display till the recently G20 3 Series. Hell - they didn't even get rid of the hand pull e-brake till the G20 as well. Mercedes Benz is fast with tech. BMW is pretty average on speed with tech.

And BMW's reliability is not exaggerated. Its trash reliability. This is why people call BMW cars lease king. You want to lease a BMW because you don't want to own one out of warranty.
Out of all the cars you listed - the oldest one is the 2015 that didn't have an issue. That car is only about 3 years old because we just turned into 2019. Wait until your cars go over 4 years old - it'll have problems.

Yeah. There are plenty of aftermarket tunes for BMW. But how many people want to tune a BMW and face the expensive repairs if crap hits the fan?

You wanna know whats funny? A Mark 4 with 7000 miles was just sold for 121K after the Mark 5 release. If the Mark 5 Supra was hyped and a good car, I bet the Mark 4 wouldn't have sold for over 6 figures. Mark 4 resale value just shot up.
Old 01-16-19, 02:00 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Source
Old 01-16-19, 02:20 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

The more I look at it, the more I like it. It's finally growing on me.
Old 01-16-19, 02:41 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
The more I look at it, the more I like it. It's finally growing on me.
wait till the tuners get their hands on it. All this negativity towards it is dropping the price haha
Old 01-16-19, 02:47 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by jadu

wait till the tuners get their hands on it. All this negativity towards it is dropping the price haha
Speed For Sale in Atlanta who also works on MKIV's, R35's etc...has one on order with mods planned. They expect delivery late June and their goal is 600whp, they stated trans is good for at least 730TQ.
Old 01-16-19, 03:29 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you can wrap around that you are actually buying the BMW car with Toyota skin with AAA model badge than the car is great. It looks better than Z4 from the outside, inside is different story as Z4 has new parts and bits. But if you are willing to deceive yourself that Toyota has worked some kind of magic on BMW platform, engine or transmission to deliver ultimate package that's where you will be very let down. Besides gearing ratio and suspension tuning in some realistic realm of chassis capability there is not whole going on as Toyota doesn't have access to proprietary stuff.
Old 01-16-19, 03:34 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Again - the point of the Lexus LFA was that Toyota can build a great car if they tried. It wasn't the point of how well it sold or whatever. It was the fact that the Lexus LFA was a hell of a car.

So they didn't have the platform to build the Supra so they let BMW make it? They could have made it from the ground up or don't make it at all. The nameplate is super important, super important. Learn from Honda's mistake. They made the NSX what it was not suppose to be and it flopped hard. This Supra will probably see the same faith. Look at the forums and maybe auto magazines - majority of them hate this thing.

That's a horrible excuse. You are defending BMW's horrible reliability because they are first to adopt new tech. One can argue the same thing - Toyota delays their tech because they are number 1 in reliability.
Besides - BMW is hardly fast when it comes to new tech. Their entry-level cars 2 series, 3 series and etc.... lack cooled seats. Their cars lack a full digital display till the recently G20 3 Series. Hell - they didn't even get rid of the hand pull e-brake till the G20 as well. Mercedes Benz is fast with tech. BMW is pretty average on speed with tech.

And BMW's reliability is not exaggerated. Its trash reliability. This is why people call BMW cars lease king. You want to lease a BMW because you don't want to own one out of warranty.
Out of all the cars you listed - the oldest one is the 2015 that didn't have an issue. That car is only about 3 years old because we just turned into 2019. Wait until your cars go over 4 years old - it'll have problems.

Yeah. There are plenty of aftermarket tunes for BMW. But how many people want to tune a BMW and face the expensive repairs if crap hits the fan?

You wanna know whats funny? A Mark 4 with 7000 miles was just sold for 121K after the Mark 5 release. If the Mark 5 Supra was hyped and a good car, I bet the Mark 4 wouldn't have sold for over 6 figures. Mark 4 resale value just shot up.
But they don't try, and the rest of your rant is rather biased.

Basically there are two types of people in this world - those who will keep hating and moaning on the internet, and those who will buy and enjoy the new Supra.
Old 01-16-19, 03:43 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

So they didn't have the platform to build the Supra so they let BMW make it? They could have made it from the ground up or don't make it at all. The nameplate is super important, super important.
And what if a Mark V fully done by Toyota didn't turn out to be as legendary as the Mark IV? The way I see it, Toyota knows how important the Supra name is. They also know it's a project that could have put them in the red like the stellar LFA. The route they choose is actually kind of sneaky. Make BMW do ALL the work, reap any benefits.
Old 01-16-19, 04:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Speaking of the lfa... toyota spent soooo much money on that, and it took soooo long, perhaps it left toyota with a ‘never doing that again!’ Feeling as far as developing a sports coupe from scratch, and why they decided to use bmw’s platform.

no matter how good toyota’s tweaking might be, it just flies in the face of everything toyota and supra stands for, for them to sell a SUPRA that is a bmw z4 in almost all aspects.

is it a good car? I’m sure it is. Will it sell... i expect sales to be pretty tepid, heck the other supra models didn’t do that well for new car sales, it became more legendary because of tuners and 2nd/3rd/etc. owners. But also because the market has changed.

i bet if a poll were done 10 years ago asking people “would you be interested in a new supra made with a bmw platform?” It was have been an overwhelming ‘hell no’. But now it’s here... some be like “hmm... maybe it’s cool...”
Old 01-16-19, 05:23 PM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

My mom has a 2004 Z4 3.0 Sport and it runs fine. Never really had any major issues common oil leaks have popped up and been fixed, it’s been a fantastic weekend cruiser for her. The Supra will be a great drivers car, it’s not exactly the car I wanted from Toyota. But I understand fully why it exists and how they got their bean counters to sign off on it.
Old 01-16-19, 05:44 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
They only built 500 LFAs with $400k pricetag. So much for that. When it comes to the rest of their attempts at performance vehicles, they've only built half assed disappointments that can't hold a candle to the competition. .
It is funny you are claiming someone else to be "hating and moaning" when being the pot, you should meet the kettle. You clearly are a hater to claim "half assed" because you love your BMWs. You might be madly in love with your M2, but that does not make it a true argument for what Lexus builds for F performance. Neither the ISF was a half assed attempt nor is the RCF. If that is what you are trying to claim, it is not based on facts. How you downplay the BMW being notorious for having major issues while trashing Lexus for their performance cars.

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Supra