Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Warning To All 2nd Gen Gs Owners

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-10, 09:04 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by DGreenGS
Hey Guys...I just had a quick question. I am hearing a knocking noise when reversing out of my driveway or if I lock my wheel all the way to one side or the other to make a turn...According to this thread the LBJ issue only pertains to pre 2003 GS models...I have a 2004 GS with 90k miles...could this be an lbj/tie rod issue or is it something else? I am lowered with megan coilovers on 20"s. Any help would be appreciated.
the LBJ issue was a problem with the 1998-2000 gs's but ALL GS's LBJ's will have issues if the vehicle is lowered. change them if yours are out

Originally Posted by GS4nicate
lower ball joints claimed another victim last night. i was leaving work and BANG! driver side LBJ snapped in half, wheel went sideways and i went skidding to a halt. luckily i was only doing about 15 mph or things could have been real ugly.

i could not agree more with changing these things BEFORE its too late!
pics or banned
Old 09-15-10, 09:29 PM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ive had mine sitting in a box for a year...should prob do this soon..
Old 09-16-10, 07:13 AM
GS4nicate
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pics or banned[/QUOTE]

coulden't take pics when it happened. it was at night and all i had was my phone to take pics. this is in my driveway the next morning with the care jacked up.
Old 09-16-10, 08:46 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS4nicate

coulden't take pics when it happened. it was at night and all i had was my phone to take pics. this is in my driveway the next morning with the care jacked up.
dohhhhh

im still amazed with all the info how this happens to members on here...

you filing it with insurance....? that a platinum edition?

btw while she is down take some time to buff those headlights up to a shine. try the plastix kit meguirs makes. i love it
Old 09-17-10, 11:49 AM
GS4nicate
Driver School Candidate

i know, i know. i wasn't aware this was a common problem until after it happened to me and i did a search on here about it. i suppose this will teach me to browse the forums more! :-P

Yes its a platinum ed. No i am not filing with insurance. Yes i need to buff headlights. working 2 jobs and playing hockey 3 times a week usually doesn't allow me as much time to mess with the car as i would like.
Old 10-10-10, 10:31 PM
Mid430blue
Rookie

this happened yesterday in glendale on a main street in the middle, it sux
Old 10-11-10, 01:42 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mid430blue
this happened yesterday in glendale on a main street in the middle, it sux
add your pics to the hall of shame lol

you a OG to....another reason to be more active on here
Old 10-11-10, 05:42 PM
Mid430blue
Rookie

i cnt believe ppl drive around with the noise dat a balljooint that bad would make let alone let it get to this point (and btw this never happened to me and never will i saw some other gs when i was passing by i tought id share it on here)
Old 01-05-11, 09:36 PM
ktt901s
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i Just replaced both upper control arms in the front after i started hearing knocking and creekin noises from the front end. it cost me $830 to get fixed with aftermarket part...it would have been $2000 with lexus parts.
Old 01-21-11, 09:13 AM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

tried searching through several threads on the issue, but haven't really found any info on when they should be changed according to mileage, is this like a 90k interval thing?

also i don't have any of the symptoms i can find posted by most members, but just last night i did notice when i was pulling in my drive way, everytime i would let my car roll forward a second then push the brakes i heard a click sound right after the brakes are pressed, i did this several times and the click happened everytime after brakes are applied..

I jacked my car up today to do the oil change, my ball joint boots and outer tie rod boots seem to be in okay shape, no rips or leaking grease anywhere, and i tried pushing the top of my wheel back and fourth while it was off the ground, it didn't budge..

also my rear left suspension is squeaky, i was figuring something might be rubbing but not sure..
Old 01-30-11, 05:43 AM
goodbuds
Driver School Candidate

i did this fix when my car had 145,000 miles. its worth it just for peace of mind. car feels better also. old ones looked like junk
Old 02-06-11, 12:18 AM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do it at 80k intervals in my opinion at least

my balljoint snapped on me going 20mph at 105k miles

I saw another GS snap his BJs leaving walmart. I asked how many miles he had, he had 115k. His was bone stock 99

Originally Posted by aka paco
tried searching through several threads on the issue, but haven't really found any info on when they should be changed according to mileage, is this like a 90k interval thing?

also i don't have any of the symptoms i can find posted by most members, but just last night i did notice when i was pulling in my drive way, everytime i would let my car roll forward a second then push the brakes i heard a click sound right after the brakes are pressed, i did this several times and the click happened everytime after brakes are applied..

I jacked my car up today to do the oil change, my ball joint boots and outer tie rod boots seem to be in okay shape, no rips or leaking grease anywhere, and i tried pushing the top of my wheel back and fourth while it was off the ground, it didn't budge..

also my rear left suspension is squeaky, i was figuring something might be rubbing but not sure..
Old 02-09-11, 04:39 PM
FASTEDDY
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

my 03 gs isn't squeaking or making any noises but i do have 105K. just the other day i noticed my car will make a popping noise when i go in reverse while the wheels are turned. is this the same issue?
Old 02-09-11, 05:14 PM
fasted1953
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The popping can also be the brake pads. I did lbj's and swore they did a bad job because I heard the popping, first thing in the morning, reverse out of the garage and cutting the wheels. I did a brake job recently and the popping is gone. At 105K, though, if you love the car like I do, you treat it to some new parts, incl lbj's. (Seems like replacing rubber bushings make all the difference in ride and handling imo.)
Old 02-09-11, 05:47 PM
broken_tsi
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I went to get an alignment, they told me that they needed to be changed. I'd assume there is a way to check them. When I swapped them out, the old LBJ's didn't look bad or ripped. Just change them out, it's cheap!

Quick Reply: Warning To All 2nd Gen Gs Owners