Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Warning To All 2nd Gen Gs Owners

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-10, 10:18 AM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine just started making popping/creaking noises when backing out of my driveway in the mornings. Just ordered the OEM's from Sewell. I got 135k miles on the original, not too bad...
Old 02-20-10, 03:36 PM
LexGS
Rookie

Default It is my turn...

Hey guys...
Long time no post...
But I was checking into what you guys were buying for front pads as I need to change mine out this week. I have Hawk GPS, and was thinking of trying out something new, when I came across this thread....HOLY CRAP! I am sporting 95K on my 2000 GS300, with Bilstein PSS (front only) with 18" rims, with my camber off. It also doesn't help that I live in NY Pot-Hole-City, I mean there are some potholes that entire cars just disappear into. I have been hearing some noises. So I just purchased right now what has been suggested by this thread.

Here are the details from the order I did right now from http://www.olyonline.com/

Part Number Part Description Qty List Price Your Price
101-4959 Lower Ball Joint 1 $64.44 $54.77
101-4960 Lower Ball Joint 1 $64.44 $54.77
101-4537 Outer Tie Rod End 1 $20.66 $17.56
101-4586 Outer Tie Rod End 1 $20.66 $17.56

$144.66 plus $5.79 Ground Shipping Total= $150.45

These are both BECK/ARNLEY parts made in the USA, that carry a 3 year or 50K mile warranty

I will be changing them out as soon as I get them...
Sorry about you guys that got bit by these CRAPPY balljoints

Modifications done to an OEM part by Lexus to make it better in any way from original, should be taken into consideration for selective recalls, which apply to the models affected. If an OEM part has been modified it suggests that the original design is not stable or suffers from some type of defect. On top of this, the fact that 1997 GS models did have a RECALL notice from Lexus should also throw off red flags to this important issue. Maybe calling them out now, might work better since Toyota is in a RECALL phase

Thank you all for sharing out this important info...

LexGS
Old 03-02-10, 06:27 AM
Quick VR-4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did this over the weekend. It has nothing to do with high mileage because I am still under 70,000 on my GS. However, I started noticing popping noises when I would turn at low speeds. Like others, it was more noticable when backing out of a parking space or drive-way. Glad I got everything switched out before something bad happened!!! Now that I have replaced...no more noises.
Old 03-02-10, 06:34 AM
yunGtrd
Rookie

Counted my blessings. This happened to me last year summertime. Luckily I was parked right at my mechanics house, and I turned the wheel to park it, guess I pulled it to the left to much and it popped. Left the car there that night and had it moving the next day. Best $60 spent. The very next week I changed the next side just to keep my mind at ease. My car has 89k miles.
Old 03-05-10, 08:52 PM
fasted1953
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

95 k miles and no popping noises for me, but...

Had my lbj and tr ends on order from lexus. Was going to do the replacement myself tomorrow. Decided to have a friend/local mechanic who specializes in classic corvettes and mustangs and drives an LS go over the bottom of my car to see what else I needed. Needs some bushings, rear brakes, and when he got to the lbj's he said they were about ready to break. Easily an inch of play. Also showed me that the rear facing suspension arm that goes to the control arm had a rear bushing that was really torn up and about ready to break. Since he spent all that time inspecting the car for free, I decided to just have him do the work. I was shocked to see the condition of that suspension arm bushing. Worst of the bunch. Not sure I would have noticed it on my own. Car rides like new again. Even though I've never replaced the shocks, it rides over bumps like they're brand new. Given the difference it made, and the potential for a catastrophic failure at speed, I'd highly recommend replacing the lbjs, tierod ends, and suspension arm.

99 GS400, 95K miles, stock 16 inch wheels.

Rear suspension has some pretty worn bushings too. That will be my next project. He ran the car up on the lift and said the rear end was twisting quite a bit when the power was applied.

Last edited by fasted1953; 03-05-10 at 08:57 PM.
Old 03-10-10, 08:03 PM
sean99gs
Driver School Candidate

dammmmmmmmmmm
Old 03-25-10, 07:04 PM
Lextasy408
Driver School Candidate

That sucks!
Old 04-24-10, 07:07 AM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It's good to see so many people getting these ball-joints replaced. I just had the dealer install new ball-joints and outer tie-rod ends yesturday. My wife will be picking up the car today. The car has 99k on it.

On a side note, are there steering rack/suspension boots that wear out? A while back when I was in, they told me the boots were torn.
Old 04-28-10, 10:03 PM
kevin.tran
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jjbenzo
It's good to see so many people getting these ball-joints replaced. I just had the dealer install new ball-joints and outer tie-rod ends yesturday. My wife will be picking up the car today. The car has 99k on it.

On a side note, are there steering rack/suspension boots that wear out? A while back when I was in, they told me the boots were torn.
maybe the end boots on the axle?
Old 07-13-10, 08:52 PM
orlredmk3
Rookie

that suck , i just got my in, hope to change it his weekend we i get my car back from the body shop. the dealer told me that they were bad, he show me by putting a screeddrive under it and lifting it. so they flag my car unsafe to drive

Last edited by orlredmk3; 07-13-10 at 08:59 PM.
Old 07-26-10, 10:21 PM
HeavycGS
Driver School Candidate

Default ball joints

Wow sorry to here about the accident. I just bought a 99 gs 300 off my brother in law n he is a mechanic. He told me that this is one bad thing about this car but he replaced them before he sold it to me n said shouldn't have to worry bout this for a very long time now. So once fixed should be good bro. He said not the type of part that goes bad fast or r defectgive either.
Old 08-18-10, 02:45 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

I've been hearing creaking noises when I go over bumps from the front passenger side, and just today, I heard a little squeak when I turned the wheel. The creaking, I thought it was my struts going bad. Is it the balljoints?
Old 08-31-10, 08:47 AM
MAUFKNCED
Driver School Candidate

NEW WARNING!!!

This is espec. for the east coast guys. Check your rear upper ball joints!!

Crazy story.. I previously had an 01 300 and like most my front pass. joint blew. Got rid of the car (unrelated) and ended up with a 400; leaving my mechanics shop to ask him when he could do my fronts my driver rear upper blew. Rear locked up, coulda been a lot more ugly was able to miraculously get it close to the shoulder. It was bone dry, I'm thinking it had alot to do with not being greased and the rough winter we had in the NE. I think if you grease them properly they wouldn't ever be a problem. Just a heads up!
Old 09-14-10, 07:24 AM
DGreenGS
Rookie

Default Question

Hey Guys...I just had a quick question. I am hearing a knocking noise when reversing out of my driveway or if I lock my wheel all the way to one side or the other to make a turn...According to this thread the LBJ issue only pertains to pre 2003 GS models...I have a 2004 GS with 90k miles...could this be an lbj/tie rod issue or is it something else? I am lowered with megan coilovers on 20"s. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-15-10, 12:07 PM
GS4nicate
Driver School Candidate

lower ball joints claimed another victim last night. i was leaving work and BANG! driver side LBJ snapped in half, wheel went sideways and i went skidding to a halt. luckily i was only doing about 15 mph or things could have been real ugly.

i could not agree more with changing these things BEFORE its too late!

Quick Reply: Warning To All 2nd Gen Gs Owners