Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Warning To All 2nd Gen Gs Owners

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-09, 03:22 PM
c4lvin
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure when you broke the balljoint that the knuckle coming off the arms pull on wiring and break them?
Old 11-30-09, 12:10 PM
everest81
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had same thing happened to me, took to a mechanic after noticing the crackign noise...he said nothing to worry about, just grease it up a bit, its due to cold...so i did. Wish I had seen this thread before. Anywa, after about a month or so (last week), the joint gave up and luckily i was going 15/mph or so..butstill its bad, didnt the pic..but its eerily similar to the original poster's picture. spent 650 so far for joints and alignment and some other part, got bad abs sensor to replace but haven't looked at that yet.

Last edited by everest81; 11-30-09 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-30-09, 02:03 PM
bonestock5
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by timherb20
When you broke your ball joint did it turn on your VSC,ABS, VSC OFF on your dash??? beacause i just broke mine and luckly i was in my driveway. But when it broke those three turned on in my dash. I just replaced the ball joints on both sides and those three lights are still on, and i unhooked my battery and it still didnt turn them off. Can anyone give me some advice on what to do please?
Yep. They are still on. The ABS sensor wire snapped.

here's a pic i found on here of another member's car. you can see the wire dangling.

here's the DIY on how to fix: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...to-fix-it.html

unfortunately mine snapped just like the pic above so its going to be a mission to try to resolder it. Anyone know if the 1g GS sensor is the same?

Last edited by bonestock5; 11-30-09 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12-12-09, 02:03 AM
todd1a
Driver School Candidate

go get them at the junk yard. they r usually from broken down cars that had other problems and so still perform wonderfully.
Old 12-16-09, 10:10 PM
kevin.tran
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by todd1a
go get them at the junk yard. they r usually from broken down cars that had other problems and so still perform wonderfully.
Yup and if you're lucky they'll work. I went and got like 3 from a junk yard and they all didn't work so I cut the protective sleeve the wires were in and traced the the wires up and down the sensor untill I found the break in the wire soldered it. Hardest part is if you have a break right by the sensor and can't solder it so you'll have to start slowly cutting the sensor itself until you have enough wire to work with.
Old 12-17-09, 09:37 AM
GS430CHICK
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy just replaced mine

i just got my front lower ball joints replaced last night. i'm not a DIYer so it cost me a hefty sum. $315.00 parts and labor. i've now got to get the radiator replaced and i'm not happy about that $500+ i'm gonna be shelling out. merry Christmas to me...
Old 12-17-09, 10:56 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Radiator doesn't have to cost $500+. Get yourself a reputable brand like Koyo for $165. Labor should be no more than $100 especially if it's from an independent shop. There is no need to buy everything OEM.
Old 01-21-10, 07:23 AM
juniortai
Driver School Candidate

Hi guys,

Been a while since I posted but actively reading. Recently replaced water pump, engine seals, belts, and tensioner... Nothing related to suspension BUT now:

-'98 GS400 at 124k miles
-Had car since 75k miles, I never replaced any suspension including shocks, ball joints, tie rods…
-I have a front & rear strut bar which may put additional pressure on suspension
-I definitely need to replace my left upper control arm (mechanic inspected).
-I definitely have clunking sounds when I drive over bumps on both L and R side of car.
-I do not have popping, creeking, squeeking noises when turning the wheel while parked.

Do you think I need I have ball joints replaced? Should I just replace them anyway when doing my upper control arm?

Do you think that the clunking sounds are from the ball joints or from my shocks being really old?

Thanks for your input guys! Greatly appreciated! =)

Charlie aka JT
Old 01-21-10, 04:39 PM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would replace them if I were you, why wait until there is a problem. That clunking sound is the warning sign. Trust me you don't want that to fail when you're on the highway at speed.
Old 01-24-10, 09:05 AM
G4inRich
Rookie

and the sad part is Toyota/ Lexus will not even think about doing a recall on this issue until a significant amount of people get hurt or killed. ***Effing sux. . . .
Old 01-31-10, 07:00 PM
spooze
Driver

im trying to get everything done in one shot. what am i missing, i have a 2000 gs300 with 120k miles

left and right lower ball joints,
tie rod ends( inner and outer)?
what bushings do i need to replace, what is this daizen bushing kit.
i need to get this done asap
Old 02-11-10, 06:24 PM
Dantang
Driver School Candidate

Hey new member here and this is a long post and not sure if it's been covered.
I found another symptom of a ball joint near failure. The steering wheel on my car felt like I had no power steering. I was planning on changing all the fluids and even the p/s pump, but one day the passenger side ball joint broke on me. Luckily I just started pulling off from a stop sign, so no major damage. Changed the ball joint and steering returns to center. Again, sorry if this has been covered already, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Old 02-16-10, 11:25 PM
RoboRam12
Driver

Just a quick thought here, the late nights studying have gotten my engineering gears turning, whether or not the input actually is valid remains to be seen though.

Of the people that have experienced issues with ball joints, how many have been running a completely stock set up (wheels, springs, shocks)? Our 2000 GS 300 is about to hit 140k miles and from what I've heard here, I don't seem to have any problems with the ball joints. I'm going to have some stuff checked out on the car when it is inspected later this month, so I'll see then what the shop has to say.

But like I said, random thoughts of a sleep deprived brain, but the way I'm looking at it, it sorta fits.
Old 02-17-10, 12:01 AM
DJamz
Driver School Candidate

hi all,

sorry im new too...
and hella scared now lol and wanna order parts tomorrow....

so this thread is ridiculously long...
but just to be clear

I saw the part numbers for both driver and passenger lower ball joints but what is the part number for the inner and outer tie rod parts from sewell website? would you recommend anything else?

also do the discount codes still apply or have they expired??

Thanks!!
Old 02-17-10, 12:08 AM
DJamz
Driver School Candidate

nevermind.... the newbie found it while searching hehe thanks all

Quick Reply: Warning To All 2nd Gen Gs Owners