IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS long term ownership concerns

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-19, 09:56 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,655 Posts

You're forgetting S65 and S85 rod bearings. ^

You people think I'm saying everything is rosy in the BMW world. I'm the first to say it's not. It's why I have double Lexus.

Some people are really sensitive to someone not heaping total praise on their favorite color/brand/gang. Geeeez guys. Can't we love and respect all brands for their merits? Why do some have to act like they're in a gang and must defeat "the other side" at all costs? We should be able to talk positive of both sides of the car equation.

We're getting near the end of warranty period and leases so it's a good idea to keep objective track of things.

No gangs.
Old 02-08-19, 09:59 AM
BlazeL
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Some people are really sensitive to someone not heaping total praise on their favorite color/brand/gang. Geeeez guys. Can't we love and respect all brands for their merits? Why do some have to act like they're in a gang and must defeat "the other side" at all costs?
You realize that's the exact vibe you give off on a majority of posts, right?

Last edited by BlazeL; 02-08-19 at 10:03 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Burrcold (02-08-19)
Old 02-08-19, 10:03 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Originally Posted by BlazeL
You realize that's the exact vibe you give off on a majority of posts, right?
I have a solid track record of helping people here and creating plenty of pro-Lexus content. It's the brand I am most enthusiastic about today. As said I have two Lexuses.

Take a look at the # of thanks I have under my name and we can talk about this vibe you are feeling.
Old 02-08-19, 11:44 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,904 Likes on 1,972 Posts
Talking

I have a solid track record of helping people here and creating plenty of pro-Lexus content. It's the brand I am most enthusiastic about today. As said I have two Lexuses.

Take a look at the # of thanks I have under my name and we can talk about this vibe you are feeling.
I think we're pretty far off-topic, but suffice it to say E46CT has shown he knows what he is talking about many times, even making some pretty detailed write-ups. Maybe a bit too forgiving about some of the IS's issues since most of them stem from performance versus cost of ownership compromises - mainly the brakes.

Now don't get me wrong, the significance of the German-ness of the IS's parts or engineering is up for debate. It's also debatable as to how big of a deal it is that the side mirrors might deteriorate - I mean, it's literally the first time we've seen that happen. No need to freak out - but also, it's good to document the issue for future reference.

What I will agree with is that sacrifices have to be made somewhere to make the IS handle better than your typical four-door, and also manage expectations - the IS is what's called an entry-level sport sedan for a reason.
Old 02-08-19, 11:47 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

I agree with this. I have been here a long time, but I lurk more than I post. I will say that you are knowledgeable and helpful.

I am on my third Lexus. The first was a 1994 GS300 and it was trouble free to 177K miles when the head gasket failed. That is a common failure in the 1GS that Lexus addressed in the 2GS. I went to a 2014 IS250 and liked it, but wanted more power, so here I am in a 2016 IS350. It is not a flawless car and has started to display an issue where the cold starts seem a bit more labored. Maybe the battery is taking a dump. At almost 3 years, it wouldn't be a complete shock. The other stuff seems to be working pretty well.
Old 02-08-19, 04:23 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

I can agree you generally have useful info, but the whole “in the BMW world” thing is getting really old. Maybe stop mentioning BMW and German engineering in every one of your posts? Also, you give off a “what I say is the only way” tone and if someone states otherwise you refuse to even contemplate it. Just my viewpoint on this. Either way, I’m just here to learn about the IS some more, help people out, and see what everyone is talking about.
The following 2 users liked this post by Flash5:
CLUM (02-08-19), snead (09-06-19)
Old 02-08-19, 05:51 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Hmm feel like I got here too late to take a jab at BMW?? Lol

Internet personalities...who cares.
I have an opinion about alot of what's been says, who cares.

If we're at all talking about BMWs on a Lexus reliability thread....suffice it to say Lexus wins. No contest.

Any mechanic in the world would choose a Lexus problem over a BMW problem...even a BMW tech.

​​​​​​​Hope the thread can get back on track soon as its purpose is useful. I looked for one when I got here but....3IS still pretty new.
Old 02-16-19, 03:04 AM
ShrinkDoc
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

This is beginning to feel like an off-track group therapy session. Let's focus on the issue E46CT initiated, as it's actually an excellent topic, well worth exploring.
Old 02-16-19, 07:27 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Originally Posted by ShrinkDoc
This is beginning to feel like an off-track group therapy session. Let's focus on the issue E46CT initiated, as it's actually an excellent topic, well worth exploring.
I think you're absolutely correct...it is a great topic.
And in general he actually starts quite a few threads with great topics....but....cause you know there has to be a but.
It seems like these topics are a great setup that once we get 2 to 3 responses in, he then turns the thread into a 'German' BMW fanboy forum.
That's whats got everyone spinning here.
If only he used his powers for good instead of evil. lol
Flash5 (02-16-19)
Old 02-16-19, 09:03 PM
SikhSipahi
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Anyones got a link to door actuators bulletin?
Old 02-17-19, 07:26 AM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

At less than 30k miles, car started going into limp mode, loosing power, engine cutting out. Lexus replaced fuel injectors and spark plugs to solve issue. Currently at 35K and have not reoccurred yet. I will not get another Lexus with the Turbo 4. Power is sufficient but MPG sucks if you drive it hard. Highest i have ever gotten was 23MPH, driving from Miami to Key west.

Our new RX350 with less than 4k miles gets better MPG. Average MPG for me is 19. However, with MPG so poor, you might as well get the 350 since there's no real advantage to getting the turbo except for price. The MSRP on my car could have gotten me into a base model IS350, we live and learn.
Old 02-17-19, 11:22 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by EXE46
At less than 30k miles, car started going into limp mode, loosing power, engine cutting out. Lexus replaced fuel injectors and spark plugs to solve issue. Currently at 35K and have not reoccurred yet. I will not get another Lexus with the Turbo 4. Power is sufficient but MPG sucks if you drive it hard. Highest i have ever gotten was 23MPH, driving from Miami to Key west.

Our new RX350 with less than 4k miles gets better MPG. Average MPG for me is 19. However, with MPG so poor, you might as well get the 350 since there's no real advantage to getting the turbo except for price. The MSRP on my car could have gotten me into a base model IS350, we live and learn.
That is unfortunate gas mileage. I'd say my lifetime average with the 300 AWD has been about 19, and I can get 25-26 if I drive highway for a while. Highest I ever got on a single trip was 26, going from KC to Branson and back.

I've heard others have gotten a lot better mileage in the 200T...
Old 02-17-19, 03:30 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
That is unfortunate gas mileage. I'd say my lifetime average with the 300 AWD has been about 19, and I can get 25-26 if I drive highway for a while. Highest I ever got on a single trip was 26, going from KC to Branson and back.

I've heard others have gotten a lot better mileage in the 200T...
I’ve gotten 33 MPG. Lol
Old 02-17-19, 09:12 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

If I get anything over 18 mpg, I'm driving the car wrong
snead (09-06-19)
Old 02-18-19, 07:25 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by EZZ
If I get anything over 18 mpg, I'm driving the car wrong
this, tbh

I might add that I don't particularly try to get good mileage either. I just don't have to deal with stop-and-go traffic, which I know a lot of members do.

Quick Reply: 3IS long term ownership concerns