Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2015 Genesis Sedan Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-13, 05:06 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Fun fact- those are the standard LED headlights. The other headlight design you see are the upgraded units that swivel, have the adjustable range high beam, etc.
Oh ok I see.. I didn't know that. I'm still disturbed at how plain they look though. It makes the car look soulless somehow.
Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Holy cr*p! Hyundai has gone retro! So THIS is what the interior of the Crown Vic would have looked like if updated! Not good!
LOL the resemblance is uncanny. Wow.
Old 11-25-13, 05:59 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I kind of agree with you there, but I do know some people specifically chose the halogen lights and don't like the HID. I don't know why, but there are people out there like that. So I guess having a choice is still a good thing. Those that want it pay for it. Those that don't save a little.
it is not a good thing, it means you pay more at the end.
Old 11-25-13, 07:18 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
it is not a good thing, it means you pay more at the end.
I don't care. As long as you have the freedom of choice. Sometimes people just want what they want, the way they want it. I've always said that I wouldn't mind paying extra for convenience in life. So for products I don't mind paying more to get what I want.
Old 11-25-13, 10:59 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I think it all boils down to practically nobody likes halogens or plain looking headlights. Automakers know they can charge >$1000 to customers for the upgraded look. People are always willing to spend that kind of money to get the look they want
Old 11-25-13, 09:36 PM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Hyundai Genesis First Drive

After a couple laps around a tight and twisty handling loop at Hyundai's proving grounds outside Seoul, Senior Ride and Handling Engineer Young Jin Hyun asks if we can feel a difference between the different drive modes of the 2015 Hyundai Genesis.

He's referring to the new Intelligent Drive Mode Select (IDMS), a driver-adjustable system that alters the transmission, steering, stability control and suspension settings of the redesigned sedan. Often these systems deliver barely perceptible changes, but we find the Sport mode noticeably more aggressive than the standard setting.

"Good," he says. "My job would not be done if it didn't make a real difference."

As an engineer he finds satisfaction in the results, but his insistence that the new system make a notable difference is indicative of the way Hyundai approached this new Genesis sedan. The first time around, the Genesis was all-new, so delivering on the basics was the main goal. Now that the Genesis is well established, it has to offer something more than just affordable luxury.

Here's How It Intends To Beat the Germans at Their Own Game
Built on an all-new rear-wheel-drive platform, the 2015 Hyundai Genesis is similar to the previous sedan in most dimensions. A nearly 3-inch-longer wheelbase is the only drastic change, one that puts this Genesis well above both the BMW 5 Series and Mercedes-Benz E-Class when it comes to space between the wheels.

That might seem like a trivial comparison, but Hyundai used both German competitors as benchmarks for the new Genesis. Hyun pointed out earlier that this Genesis uses more high-strength steel and has better torsional rigidity than the latest 5 Series. To the average buyer, that means a car that feels more refined on the road, even if that road is dead straight and perfectly smooth.

Hyun's team also upgraded this Genesis with standard variable-ratio electric steering and a newly optional all-wheel-drive system Hyundai calls H-TRAC. The former allows for a degree of adjustability in the feel of the steering that goes a long way toward delivering the noticeable changes in the various drive modes. The latter adds both improved all-weather drivability and better on-demand performance in dry conditions.

In normal driving, the H-TRAC system uses a 40/60 front-to-rear torque bias for a more natural feel. Dial up the Sport mode and the bias immediately adjusts to a 20/80 front-to-rear split that can be further ratcheted up to a 10/90 bias under certain conditions.

Read more: http://www.edmunds.com/hyundai/genes...road-test.html
Old 11-25-13, 10:09 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Looks good to me... Better pics and angles makes the front end look better... I like it..
Old 11-25-13, 10:23 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

nice seats...

Old 11-25-13, 11:35 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah those seats look impressive ^
Old 11-26-13, 01:19 AM
Stormwind
Racer

Aston Martin badge, BMW headlights, Audi grill, Mercedes mirror blinker...do they even have a single thing that's original?
Attached Thumbnails 2015 Genesis Sedan Thread-2015_hyundai_genesis_actf34_fd_1125132_600.jpg  
Old 11-26-13, 02:01 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormwind
Aston Martin badge, BMW headlights, Audi grill, Mercedes mirror blinker...do they even have a single thing that's original?
does any car nowadays? Have anything original? most cars all share some sort of design que, body lines, lights, or whatever... thats the car business.
Old 11-26-13, 02:18 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
nice seats...

I hope those headrests retract flush into the seat, because they'll be poking everyone's head. My dad's Veracruz suffers from this. Most annoying.
Old 11-26-13, 11:20 AM
hlee12
Lead Lap

design is safe. execution is good. unlike internet board warriors, consumers will buy into the design. they always do. it will stand out from its natural competition - avalon, 300, ES, etc.

but it's still far away from where it wants to be.
Old 11-26-13, 01:52 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by hlee12
design is safe. execution is good. unlike internet board warriors, consumers will buy into the design. they always do. it will stand out from its natural competition - avalon, 300, ES, etc.

but it's still far away from where it wants to be.
The Azera is the Avalon & ES rival.

This rivals the 5 series, E, GS at 3 series price

And unlike the other brands which b!itched out. Hyundai is offering a V8 with 416HP (yeah I'm also looking at you LEXUS)
Old 11-26-13, 05:45 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
The Azera is the Avalon & ES rival.

This rivals the 5 series, E, GS at 3 series price

And unlike the other brands which b!itched out. Hyundai is offering a V8 with 416HP (yeah I'm also looking at you LEXUS)
The Hyundai has 429 hp.

The IS-F has 416 hp.
Old 11-26-13, 08:39 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BNR34
The Hyundai has 429 hp.

The IS-F has 416 hp.
Thanks for the fix. But one thing I don't understand is how did Hyundai manage to make 429HP from their 5.0L while Lexus only managed 416HP from the 2UR-GSE 5.0L in the ISF that's crammed with tech.

Such as ; It’s an all-alloy quad-cam, 32-valve with high-flow cylinder heads, dual VVT-I with electric VVT-iE inlet camshaft actuation, titanium inlet valves, high-lift camshafts, dual D-4S fuel injection, dual intake air system, tuned length surge tank, variable scavenge oil pump and stainless steel dual exhaust system.

So why does the Tau V8 have an extra 13HP and extra torque over the 2UR-GSE?

Tau V8

2UR-GSE

Last edited by yowps3; 11-26-13 at 08:57 PM.

Quick Reply: 2015 Genesis Sedan Thread