RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RCF Comprehensive Model Year Changes

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-18, 10:03 AM
Syan48306
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RCF Comprehensive Model Year Changes

This thread serves to outline the comprehensive changes seen in the RCF through the model years, regardless of how small or noticeable the change. The Toyota information system documents sheds a lot of light into some behind the scenes changes.

2016 Model Year Changes
  • EXHAUST SYSTEM: Tail pipe diffuserdesign has been changed
  • BRAKE CONTROL SYSTEM: The master warning light display function has been changed.
  • PARKING ASSIST MONITOR SYSTEM: The parking guide lines have been changed.
  • LIGHTING (INT): The valve of door courtesy light has been changed to LED.
  • METER/GAUGE/DISPLAY: The master warning light display function has been changed for brake system malfunction.
2017 Model Year Changes
  • ENGINE UNIT: Corresponding the emission regulation has been changed.
  • DYNAMIC RADAR CRUISE CONTROL SYSTEM Cancellation conditions of cruise control function has been changed.
  • ADAPTIVE VARIABLE SUSPENSION SYSTEM: An Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS) system has been provided.
  • SUSPENSION: The shock absorber has been changed.
  • TELEMATICS SYSTEM: The Lexus enform service has been changed.
  • INTUITIVE PARKING ASSIST SYSTEM: The ultra sonic sensor has been changed.
  • AIRBAG SYSTEM: The roll over judgment function has been added.
  • WIPER / WASHER: The switch operation guide on multi-information display has been discontinued.
  • LIGHTING (EXT) The switch operation guide on multi-information display has been discontinued.
2018 Model Year Changes
  • DYNAMIC RADAR CRUISE CONTROL: Tap down and tap up control function in constant speed control have been changed. The forward recognition camera has been provided. The cruise control main switch has been changed. The display function of combination meter has been changed.
  • LANE DEPARTURE ALERT SYSTEM (w/ Steering Control): A lane departure alert system with steering control system has been adopted.
  • BRAKE CONTROL SYSTEM: The brake actuator has been changed.
  • FRONT BRAKE / REAR BRAKE: The indication of pad wear indicator has been changed.
  • AUDIO AND VISUAL SYSTEM: The 10.3-inch multi-display has been adopted to models with navigation system.
  • NETWORKING: A Lexus Safety System + has been provided on all models.
  • LIGHTING (INT): The illuminated entry system has been changed.
  • AIRBAG SYSTEM: The AIRBAG OFF/ON indicator light has been changed to models for Canada.
  • POWER SEAT CONTROL SYSTEM: The automatic away function and automatic return function have been added.
  • LIGHTING (EXT): The automatic high beam system has been changed.
  • ASC SYSTEM A CUSTOM mode has been added to drive mode sect function
  • TORQUE VECTORING DIFFERENTIAL SYSTEM: A CUSTOM mode has been added to drive mode select function.
  • ADAPTIVE VARIABLE SUSPENSION SYSTEM: A CUSTOM mode has been added to drive mode select function.
  • AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION SYSTEM: A CUSTOM mode has been added to drive mode select function.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
The following 18 users liked this post by Syan48306:
05RollaXRS (02-10-18), ba2sy (02-13-18), BLexodus (02-13-18), BrandonX (03-22-23), Ctrl-F (02-17-18), Diode Dynamics (02-16-18), finny76 (02-10-18), GunnyFitz (03-21-18), Holma (02-10-18), ISFPOWER (02-10-18), konichiwa3 (02-10-18), Lexura1414 (02-10-18), lexusnutt (02-12-18), Ne1tHeRe (02-12-18), rjmalm (02-10-18), SoSlow (03-28-18), SourGrass (01-22-19), Yri (03-21-20) and 13 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-11-18, 12:32 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Great post. Should be sticky'ed

Having said that, could be a US market vs rest of the world thing, but my 2015 RCF (with Carbon/TVD) has the button for LDA on the steering wheel. Also, 2015 is the only model with different pedal style.
Old 02-13-18, 11:58 AM
BLexodus
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Great post. Should be sticky'ed

Having said that, could be a US market vs rest of the world thing, but my 2015 RCF (with Carbon/TVD) has the button for LDA on the steering wheel. Also, 2015 is the only model with different pedal style.
Thanks for the post!

I second making this a sticky... this question will get asked 1,000 times over the next few years.
Old 02-17-18, 07:45 PM
ct6978
Intermediate

Received 171 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Syan48306
This thread serves to outline the comprehensive changes seen in the RCF through the model years, regardless of how small or noticeable the change. The Toyota information system documents sheds a lot of light into some behind the scenes changes.

2018 Model Year Changes
Just picked up a 2018 and the above doesn't really do justice to the Nav/Infotainment changes. I was looking forward to the larger screen (wife has an IS and I always appreciated the screen) but they've made major changes.

The touchpad has been updated, is a little larger, and possibly (haven't spent enough time) works better. The Nav and Infotainment menus and features have significantly changed, and so far I think its a good update. According to a lexus rep I spoke with yesterday, this is their latest system. Lot of small changes that improve the overall experience, and evidently a faster processor, everything is snappier.... I'm still figuring it out, but so far so good.

Here's the new manual in case anyone is interested, had to shrink it a little due to upload limits, but you can get it from the Lexus Drivers side.
Attached Files
2018 RCF Nav System.pdf (4.62 MB, 230 views)
The following users liked this post:
GunnyFitz (03-21-18)
Old 02-19-18, 06:54 PM
JamesGZ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ct6978
Just picked up a 2018 and the above doesn't really do justice to the Nav/Infotainment changes. I was looking forward to the larger screen (wife has an IS and I always appreciated the screen) but they've made major changes.

The touchpad has been updated, is a little larger, and possibly (haven't spent enough time) works better. The Nav and Infotainment menus and features have significantly changed, and so far I think its a good update. According to a lexus rep I spoke with yesterday, this is their latest system. Lot of small changes that improve the overall experience, and evidently a faster processor, everything is snappier.... I'm still figuring it out, but so far so good.

Here's the new manual in case anyone is interested, had to shrink it a little due to upload limits, but you can get it from the Lexus Drivers side.
Can you upload some pictures?
Old 02-19-18, 06:57 PM
ct6978
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JamesGZ
Can you upload some pictures?
Sure, I'm out of town for the week, but will take some this weekend.

Anything in particular? The opening animation is different, I'll try capture that, the map screen and a few others.
Old 02-19-18, 07:05 PM
JamesGZ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure, I'm out of town for the week, but will take some this weekend.

Anything in particular? The opening animation is different, I'll try capture that, the map screen and a few others.
Ok, I'm curious about the wider screen and the new animation. Thanks
Old 02-21-18, 07:35 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I haven't seen a new RC yet. My local dealership hasn't gotten any in yet. I don't think they will get any RC-F's, just regular RC's.
Old 02-24-18, 04:01 PM
ct6978
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JamesGZ
Ok, I'm curious about the wider screen and the new animation. Thanks
Here's a few shots of the screen including new menus and the animation.

General view, split screen Nav/Audio. Note the "Delete destination" icon on the bottom right of the nav window, very handy to have it on the front screen.

Selecting destination icon on the left icon brings up scrolling menus.

Here's a widescreen Nav window.

Menu button brings up choices on the bottom, if you select something you get sub-menus above the choice.

Here's another sub-menu.

Kind of annoying (no way to turn it off yet) weather warning...the warning popped up and I clicked to view details, turns out its freezing in the Moreno Valley...good think I'm not actually there.

Selected setup, then vehicle, get yet another set of menus. Same stuff as the older version, just organized a little different.

Here's the video of the startup animation:

Opening animation.

And finally, my new car!

Last edited by ct6978; 02-24-18 at 04:08 PM.
The following 8 users liked this post by ct6978:
BLexodus (02-26-18), Colt45ccg (02-25-18), GunnyFitz (03-21-18), Holma (02-26-18), Ne1tHeRe (02-25-18), Restomod (03-25-18), SoSlow (03-28-18), SourGrass (01-22-19) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-21-18, 03:45 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
Thumbs up Many, Many Thanks!

Sincere appreciation for those posted pics and info!
You state you just picked up the 2018 (In my preferred color choice too!) and I am most curious on several things about it. I will PM you for these instead. (Perhaps personal in nature)
I just posted a thread here with many questions, and wont take up real estate and time for the followers within this one. Just a HUGE point of interest for me right now after spending a whole day test driving a 17 -overnight too-and would truly like to see where the jump to an 18 makes much difference. The White / White or Black / Black just didnt do it for me I guess.

Love to see some interior pics, and one of Engine Bay if possible please? Does EVERY Model have the Blue Headers?

Gunny Out...........
Old 03-21-18, 04:18 AM
Teutonic
Intermediate

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz
Love to see some interior pics, and one of Engine Bay if possible please? Does EVERY Model have the Blue Headers?
If you mean blue intake manifold, I believe the answer is yes.
GunnyFitz (03-21-18)
Old 03-23-18, 06:16 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
Thumbs up Should I Wait

Originally Posted by Teutonic
If you mean blue intake manifold, I believe the answer is yes.
Yes, thank you for clarifying Teutonic, thats exactly what I meant. Though that shade of blue is bright, I assume it differs from the Ultrasonic Blue Exterior Color? (Would still love to see some members post pics of their 2017s with USB & Circuit Red Interior!) Even Liquid Platinum & Red too!)

This thread is a very helpful tool since Im sure there more members than myself who are on the fence about whether to grab up one of the leftover 2017 models out there, or wait for a 2018 in their preferred color choices etc.

As I just posted on my own thread, playing with the awesome "Build Your Lexus" feature produces some very attractive results-that do come at a higher cost for sure! One hurdle I'm faced with is whether the TVD is worth it or not. Both of the 17s I tested had the Moonroof Option which you cannot get with the "Performance Package." My Dealership stated they wont have any 18s arriving for about 2-3 months since the big push is on the LS500 (Which I did happen to sit in, fire up, and melt into the one owned by the GM. What a delicious machine that is!)

Oh well, back to "Build My Lexus!"
Old 12-25-20, 04:03 PM
Freeway243
Driver School Candidate

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Model year changes from 17-18/ putting Lane departure assist on a 17

I am interested in putting Lane departure assist on my 17 RC F to make it self driving. I am wondering if any of the model year changes from 17-18 will be prohibitive in doing so. Or my hope is it's as easy as buying the camera and button and plugging it in. Thanks!
Old 03-22-23, 07:24 AM
KennyFSU
Instructor

Received 282 Likes on 180 Posts

Sorry to bump an old thread but does anyone have model year changes from 2018 to present?
Vitveet (03-22-23)