Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Any Lexus Techs out there?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-02, 12:56 PM
Handogen
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Lexus Techs out there?

I'm trying to research what I will need to do to replace my stock 99 RX headlamps with newer RX HID Headlamps.

I'll have both headlamps shortly with all the bulbs. In order to drop the new headlamp assembly in and hook it up, will I need some kind of conversion kit or power kit?

-Hando
Old 09-12-02, 02:12 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default OEM

The RX OEM HID system's autoleveling ECU is mounted above your right toe as you brake. The vehicle height sensor is mounted on the passenger side rear suspension. Unless the vehicle is already wired for these you're in for some serious wiring work.
Old 09-12-02, 10:55 PM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

I really don't think a lexus tech would be much help. Like I keep telling most CL members, us lexus techs don't spend are days swapping and interchanging parts from one model to the next. Since dealerships don't deal much in mods, we have no experience that might help you.

I'm sure there is someone out there who has tried it. Although it is possible to mount the hid headlamps in and wire them to come on. You probably need to replace the whole wire loom to add the autoleveling.

MY 2 cents

DD
Old 09-17-02, 02:18 PM
Handogen
Driver

Can't I get away with installing them without autoleveling?

I was thinking maybe I could just buy an aftermarket hid power kit (not conversion) and install them that way. Do you think that's possible?
Old 09-17-02, 06:20 PM
LexFather

You can't have auto-leveling. There is a sensor behind each wheel on the car. They will not retrofit these. So save some $$$ and get some HID. PaddyWagon added real HID to his RX, looked great and he did it himself.
Old 09-18-02, 12:09 PM
Handogen
Driver

You should see my 99 headlights. They look terrible. There's a funky film all over the front of them. After I first bought the RX, I had water condensation inside the right headlamp which either caused or compounded the problem.

Perhaps there's a way to convert the new HID headlamp housing to use the stock bulbs and wiring... I'm learning more about it each day. I'm sure I'm not the only person who's wanted to do this to their RX. So if I complete this project with good results, I'll have to post steps... if anybody's interested.
These new headlamps look a thousand times better than my existing ones.

Thanks,
Hando
Old 09-18-02, 05:16 PM
TRM04
Driver

Why not just buy an HID kit that is universal for any car? I've seen them and they work very well.

http://www.hids4less.com
Old 09-20-02, 12:45 PM
Handogen
Driver

Default To DevilDog

DevilDogIS300,

You sound like you have a handle on what i'm trying to do. Can't I just swap out my old headlamps for the HID headlamps and use one of the "universal hid kits" TRM04 recommended? The headlights in the HID headlamps I just bought are true HID bulbs...

Thanks,
Hando
Old 09-21-02, 12:13 PM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

There is no reason why you can't! People do it all the time. The only point all of us are trying to make is that with any non-oem hid set-up you can't have auto-leveling. But that's over rated anyhow.

DD