LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Got Keyed

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-19, 06:25 PM
DerrickM
Advanced

Received 132 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by mbarron37
My concern is that same jerk will attempt again if you park the LS in the same spot/area. I hate people becuase of things like this. Really pisses me off.
I'm on the same page. I found another place to park that should hopefully be much safer. Not directly on the greenbelt, but not too far away. I will probably keep looking for good spots too.
Old 03-20-19, 06:31 PM
DerrickM
Advanced

Originally Posted by UDel
Is it really that deep? From the pics you might be able to do some light wet sanding, compounding and polishing to make it almost disappear. I would make sure your insurance rates don't go up if you have them do it. What is your deductible?
Yeah, it's hard to see from the pictures, but some of the long scratch touches bare metal. Body shop is going to paint both driver side doors and the rear of the car stretching up over the doors next to the removable strip--basically whole panels up to whatever is the first seam. Deductible is only $100, but I have no idea what my rates are going to do. Long-term client with multiple vehicles, home coverage, auxiliary policies, etc.; so hopefully they won't jack 'em too bad. Whatever it turns out to be, I'm sure it's nothing compared to our oldest turning 16 next year and learning to drive!
Old 03-21-19, 06:11 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 323 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by DerrickM
Called State Farm, they recommended a body shop. Body shop estimate came in at $2100 and 8 business days to complete.
Before you commit to the State Farm body shop (remember, they recommend the lowest bidders), go to your Lexus dealer and ask who they use for their body repairs.
The following 2 users liked this post by sktn77a:
mnewxcv (03-22-19), vinniesabo (05-25-19)
Old 03-21-19, 06:52 AM
Little
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I was going to say if you can really feel the scratch with a fingernail then its not fixable by wet sanding and buffing. But then you said it's down to metal.
Old 03-21-19, 06:48 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by FunFact
Yup, I would have dash cameras installed. One forward-facing and one facing back from the rear-view mirror, which will cover nearly 360 degrees,
Sorry to hear about your car, OP. Dang punks. I have front and rear dash cams and honestly don't think it would have caught the person in the act. The dash cams will not capture anything happening at the doors. The best you'll get is video of the person coming up to the car and walking away from the car. You would literally need a 4-cam system for true 360-degree protection. Wish I could integrate cameras into the B-pillar as well as some Teslas (see below). Best of luck on the repair.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't read FunFact's post correctly. Did not catch that FunFact meant to install the rear-facing camera directly behind the front-facing camera.

Last edited by FatherTo1; 03-21-19 at 06:59 PM.
Old 03-21-19, 07:20 PM
Benjam1n
Pole Position

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Never use State Farm's recommended shop. I'd suggest steering clear of that particular company. Find an independent reputable shop that answers to you, not your insurer. Not sure how many miles you have but it could be a total.
Old 03-21-19, 08:58 PM
DedBirdDog
Intermediate

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

Find and use a body shop that does it right. And by right, I mean sanding and correcting back to the proper paint depth. Read this. It matters.

http://www.elcometerusa.com/Second-H...n-Repairs.html
Old 03-21-19, 09:33 PM
DerrickM
Advanced

Originally Posted by DedBirdDog
Find and use a body shop that does it right. And by right, I mean sanding and correcting back to the proper paint depth. Read this. It matters.

http://www.elcometerusa.com/Second-H...n-Repairs.html
OMG now I have a whole new set of worries! I'm already worried about them taking apart my doors and such. As a longtime diy stereo installer I know how how rattles and creaks can come from not paying attention to the details in the doors. Not to mention my fears of whether the new paint truly matches the old paint after 5 years. My old Acura was rear-ended many years ago, and the repair was simply amazing. Or it was until it was 6-8 years old and the new bumper paint cracked and changed color slightly. I'm praying the BASF Glasurit posters and brochures in the lobby of the body shop are a good sign...
Old 03-22-19, 11:02 AM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Find a good local PDR place. They will do that for around $200 per panel. Had my pax door done after being keyed - turned out great.

I ever find somebody doing that Imma go medieval on his ***!
Old 03-22-19, 11:30 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 323 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyV
Find a good local PDR place. They will do that for around $200 per panel. Had my pax door done after being keyed - turned out great.
Huh??? How do you get scratches out with PDR?
Old 03-22-19, 05:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,761 Likes on 1,972 Posts

Yeah PDR won't do anything for this damage
Old 03-23-19, 11:42 AM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Yeah PDR won't do anything for this damage
A good PDR place also does paint correction, son. Ask around!
Old 03-24-19, 05:38 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyV
A good PDR place also does paint correction, son. Ask around!
Why not just go to a top notch autobody repair shop that specializes in paint? I know when you try and trade in a car they run around with their hand held meter and test paint depth. If the pdr place can do a flawless job, then I am all in. On the other hand, if their work is subpar and is easily detectable that paint work has been done, then no thanks. If I intend to keep the vehicle long term, then I want the best results possible, even if higher cost.
Old 03-24-19, 08:24 AM
DerrickM
Advanced

Luckily, the car is insured so the cost isn't really an issue; I just have to pay my deductible. Car is scheduled to be dropped off second week of April.

In the meantime I put a charger on the battery in my old Acura TL and she fired right up! Figure I'll drive that instead of a rental when the LS is in the shop.
Old 03-24-19, 09:12 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 213 Likes on 191 Posts

The reason people are recommending the pdr place is that they can fix the paint without repainting the whole panel. Just like how sweet project cars does chip repair I assume in YouTube. If I intend to buy a car and I’m testing paint thickness and I see a discrepancy I’ll probably pass unless I.can be sure what happened. So it’s not really about money but rather preserving the fact that your car has original paint

Quick Reply: Got Keyed