LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Got Keyed

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-19, 01:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyV
A good PDR place also does paint correction, son. Ask around!
Thats just not really accurate. PDR and paint work are entirely different things. My PDR guy is one of the best in the country, he flies all over the country training, etc. They don't do any paint work.

This damage needs to be addressed by a top notch bodyshop.

This is not going to be repaired well with a spot repair.
Old 03-25-19, 09:42 PM
DerrickM
Advanced

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Thats just not really accurate. PDR and paint work are entirely different things. My PDR guy is one of the best in the country, he flies all over the country training, etc. They don't do any paint work.

This damage needs to be addressed by a top notch bodyshop.

This is not going to be repaired well with a spot repair.
I wonder. Let's say I didn't have insurance and paying $2k to repaint the side of the car wasn't an option. Seems there must be folks that can fill and sand down the scratch where it would be hard to see unless you were looking for it. You'd save all that labor tearing apart doors, trim, etc., and just focus on filling/painting and sanding.
Old 03-26-19, 04:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DerrickM
I wonder. Let's say I didn't have insurance and paying $2k to repaint the side of the car wasn't an option. Seems there must be folks that can fill and sand down the scratch where it would be hard to see unless you were looking for it. You'd save all that labor tearing apart doors, trim, etc., and just focus on filling/painting and sanding.
It all depends on what you're willing to accept as a result of a repair. There is no way to make a scratch like that be invisible, you can make it look better, but the only way to get rid of it totally is to repaint the car. Your color is also one of the hardest colors to do that sort of touch up repair to.
Old 03-26-19, 04:19 PM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

^^not correct. Carry on, I'm done.
Old 03-27-19, 06:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

^^not correct. Carry on, I'm done.
I am absolutely correct. There is no way to make a touch up look perfect, especially on a metallic white car, certainly not over the entire length of the car. You'll always be able to see the scratch.

Here's a good video of the process you would use to "touch up" a key scratch. At the end, look at the result, its better but certainly not perfect:

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-27-19 at 06:37 AM.
Old 03-27-19, 11:30 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Most PDR guys and shops here in Toronto don't have anything to do with painting

Also paint correction is more along the lines of detailing, wetsanding, polishing, buffing …..none of these can work on a scratch that has went through the clear coat

On a side note PDR is one skill im dying to learn how to do, I bought a pdr kit 2 years ago but never tested it out yet
Old 03-27-19, 11:43 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

I am absolutely correct. There is no way to make a touch up look perfect, especially on a metallic white car, certainly not over the entire length of the car. You'll always be able to see the scratch.

Here's a good video of the process you would use to "touch up" a key scratch. At the end, look at the result, its better but certainly not perfect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2aC_oseMe4
That guy AMMO has some decent videos sometimes, but he should of never uploaded that scratch video, it is the farthest thing from professional and is a total HACK job. Its so bad I actually never looked at him the same way after.
Old 03-27-19, 11:52 AM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2aC_oseMe4
This scratch repair is good enough in an instance where you need your vehicle for a planned family road trip etc. When you come back you get it done thru insurance at a body shop where it would be tied up for a few weeks.

Old 03-27-19, 12:00 PM
DerrickM
Advanced

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts

I still can't believe people can be so mean. I can't imaging seeing a thing of beauty and wanting to mar it. Wtf is wrong with people.

Another week and a half before I drop it off at the body shop; makes me sad every time I see it...
Old 03-27-19, 12:06 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
Most PDR guys and shops here in Toronto don't have anything to do with painting

Also paint correction is more along the lines of detailing, wetsanding, polishing, buffing …..none of these can work on a scratch that has went through the clear coat

On a side note PDR is one skill im dying to learn how to do, I bought a pdr kit 2 years ago but never tested it out yet
I have a PDR kit and I ended up making things worse. The dents ended up being wavy looking
I found a PDR guy in my area are that is a true "Dent Wizard" He completely fixed a hard door ding on the crease line of my fender in 20 minutes at $140 vs body work and respray for $500. I can't even see where the dent was anymore! Then he fixed my wife's door that had two long 3 ft crease side swipes for $300.
My previous options were to get the body work done for $700 or find a used door at a junk yard for less.

The following users liked this post:
1WILLY1 (03-27-19)
Old 03-27-19, 01:32 PM
DedBirdDog
Intermediate

Received 146 Likes on 96 Posts

I bought a Harley Softtail at a repo auction with a dent in the tank. I have a PDR guy that is amazing. Here's the before and after pictures. Dents are one thing. Paintwork is a totally different animal.

Old 03-27-19, 01:37 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JLAWS
I have a PDR kit and I ended up making things worse. The dents ended up being wavy looking
I found a PDR guy in my area are that is a true "Dent Wizard" He completely fixed a hard door ding on the crease line of my fender in 20 minutes at $140 vs body work and respray for $500. I can't even see where the dent was anymore! Then he fixed my wife's door that had two long 3 ft crease side swipes for $300.
My previous options were to get the body work done for $700 or find a used door at a junk yard for less.
yea they are great , its a skill im really interested in
Old 03-27-19, 01:53 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Makes me sick to read this thread. I wonder if you asked around to people at the skating area / greenbelt, if they had heard of anyone else's car having been keyed. And if so, if a dirtbag had been identified.
Old 03-27-19, 01:56 PM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm telling you ******* my PDR guy repainted the entire door panel - at his shop!

Jackholes.
Old 03-27-19, 02:03 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
yea they are great , its a skill im really interested in
I joked with my wife that the noises made while fixing the dent were just sound effects and he actually has a wand and magically made the dent disappear ! I was in disbelief for days and went to my garage and stared at the repair multiple times. It hasn't fully registered in my brain yet how he gets things so perfect.

Quick Reply: Got Keyed