LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Nakamichi System...Radio works but CD/Cassette do not

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-15, 10:43 PM
andyschiu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nakamichi System...Radio works but CD/Cassette do not

Anyone else having a similar problem with their Nakamichi system in their LS 400?

The CD/Cassette player do not work at all. The radio (FM/AM) work fine. Any disc that's loaded just gives a "disc error". Trying to play a cassette just boots it back to radio mode or whatever mode it was before.
Old 05-05-15, 02:10 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

The shiny side goes up in that cartridge, the label goes down.
Old 05-05-15, 07:00 AM
andyschiu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dicer
The shiny side goes up in that cartridge, the label goes down.
Doesn't work.
Old 05-05-15, 05:33 PM
AHJ
Rookie

I had a problem with speakers not having sound. What fixed it was taking out the deck and cleaning it up and re-seating the connectors.

Cassette players usually need servicing / changing belts. Maybe that's what it needs.
Old 05-06-15, 12:44 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

I read something awhile back, a guy got another laser from a wrecking yard unit and fixed his. I suppose they are available from electronics supply places too.
Old 05-06-15, 05:31 PM
Yamae

Received 866 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by andyschiu
Anyone else having a similar problem with their Nakamichi system in their LS 400?

The CD/Cassette player do not work at all. The radio (FM/AM) work fine. Any disc that's loaded just gives a "disc error". Trying to play a cassette just boots it back to radio mode or whatever mode it was before.
Both CD and Cassette have motors and mechanical links. Some of those may be causing your problem, I bet.

When my CD didn't play, I assumed that it was caused by a clogged motor inside. I was measuring the voltage drop at terminals and confirmed so. Only cleaning brushes and commutators fixed the problem. This often happens among old small DC motors, I know. The same thing can be said to a door lock actuator. So far, problems related to small motors were all fixed by me doing the same.
Old 05-07-15, 02:56 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Yamae
Both CD and Cassette have motors and mechanical links. Some of those may be causing your problem, I bet.

When my CD didn't play, I assumed that it was caused by a clogged motor inside. I was measuring the voltage drop at terminals and confirmed so. Only cleaning brushes and commutators fixed the problem. This often happens among old small DC motors, I know. The same thing can be said to a door lock actuator. So far, problems related to small motors were all fixed by me doing the same.
What did you use to clean them? Are they simple to take apart and back together?
Old 05-07-15, 10:08 AM
Yamae

Received 866 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
What did you use to clean them? Are they simple to take apart and back together?
I used a spray can of parts cleaner to clean.

They were not very simple and it was not very easy for the first time but once I did it, it became rather easy after that.

Attached are before and after the cleaning. You can see that carbon and graphite dusts are making a bridge of a short circuit between + and -. You also can see brushes are still OK. Only the cleaning revived the motor. Don't forget to lube the bearings too.
Attached Thumbnails Nakamichi System...Radio works but CD/Cassette do not-before-cleaning.jpeg   Nakamichi System...Radio works but CD/Cassette do not-after-cleaning.jpeg