Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

hid retrofit kit

Old 03-12-03, 10:06 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hid retrofit kit

I just bought a Philips HID retrofit kit from Advanceimports.com The kit has the philips ballast, osram 6000k bulbs and all wiring is insulated. I am having trouble with the relay. Most kits I have seen have 2 relays but the kit I received only has one relay. Can anyone tell me what I hook this relay up to and where can I find it. I have a 99 gs300. The bulbs fit perfectly and the only thing holding me up is this relay problem. I have no experience installing HID kits so this is all new to me. Everyone I talked to says its so easy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rich
Old 03-12-03, 11:19 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

GS300Rich-

Does your wires look like mine? My pics show the single relay already connected to the wire setup.

click on this link:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...5&pagenumber=2

Last edited by PHML; 03-12-03 at 11:27 AM.
Old 03-12-03, 12:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

yeah the relay should be between the wiring from the ballasts to the bulbs
Old 03-12-03, 12:27 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Originally posted by rominl
yeah the relay should be between the wiring from the ballasts to the bulbs
My relay is setup before the ballast.
Old 03-12-03, 09:54 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

hey phml my setup is the exact same one as yours you just plug the black relay into the white housing that it fits into? I saw on the DIY page there was a guy installing a hid kit in his gs and he had two relays and all that so I was confused I will try it that way tomorrow and let you know how it goes where did you mount your ballasts or what did you mount them to? also when running the wires across the radiator what did you use to hold them in place? and im still trying to figure out the purpose of the black metal plate the plastic housing around the ballast seems to be sufficient to either screw it down or use the twist ties to hold it down thanks for all your help i look on tons of websites for help and couldnt find it the kit that i got didnt have an instruction manual but anyway thanks for the help and the detailed pics

rich
Old 03-12-03, 10:52 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

now i just went out and hooked the kit up just like you did and put the red wire to the positive terminal of my battery and put the black wire with the ground from the battery everything is hooked up just like in your picture but when I went to turn the light on I heard a pop and found that the two 15 amp fuses for the right and left headlights had blown why did they blow when the hid kit has a 20 amp fuse? should I increase the fuses to 30 amp? could it be that the black and red wires are switched, meaning the black goes to positive and the red goes to ground? I thought since the power is coming directly from the battery the stock fuses are not being used any suggestions? I dont really want to experiment too much on my own because I dont want to ruin the ballasts or damage the electrical system on the car phml did you have any of these problems when you installed your HID kit Like I said earlier the kit in your diagram is the same exact kit that I have including the same exact bulbs I am becoming really discouraged by this I have done tons of things to this on my own, including installing eibach lowering springs, installing an ap racing brake kit, tons of body work and this one little thing is giving me a much harder time than any of those things. I dont have much experience with the electrical system obviously so any and all information will be greatly appreciated

rich
Old 03-12-03, 11:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

the car in the diy is mine. when i got the kit it has two separate harness and relays. anyway, in your case, i think 20amp fuse should be enough... um........ i can't really visualize the setup and how it can fail. maybe try it on one side first with a 30amp fuse and see? (i still don't thikn it draws that much current)
Old 03-13-03, 07:32 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

today I took out the 2 blown 15 amp fuses and replaced them with 30 amp fuses and as soon as I turned the headlights on the fuses blew again Im not an electrical whiz so what could be causing this? I hooked all the lines togethor properly and everything looked good. The red line that has the 20 amp fuse built in is hooked up to the positive terminal on the battery and the black wire that is supposed to be the ground has been grounded. the 20 amp fuse that is built into the hid kit is fine. The only fuses that keep blowing are the two for the stock headlights. Is it the HID kit that is no good? PHML can you send me a few pics of how your setup looks installed in your gs? Did you have to do any modifications to your kit to get it to work? I am really frustrated because I dont know what to do and I dont want to pay some shop $100 for something that is easy to do. I dont think I hooked it up wrong because all the cords are connected properly. Could it be that the positive and the ground wires are wrong? thanks for the help

rich
Old 03-13-03, 09:25 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

my setup is the exact same setup as the one phml has in the pictures that he posted same exact bulbs and everything
Old 03-13-03, 10:11 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Gs300Rich:

I just tried installing my kit last night.....and guess what.....I also blew both 15 Amp fuses too.

I already contacted Jason (Discountcycle) for any advice. He admitted that the instruction manual was NOT updated to show the current wiring setup....that was the reason for the delay in shipment as well.

He said he was gonna email me pics of the 9006 setup (today or tomorrow) with the new wires.

Got 1 question with the connection between the 9006 sockets.... did you connect it with the notch locking it in place? If you did, notice the wire color.....its black to red, and red to white/black. I'm wondering if that's why the fuses popped.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails hid retrofit kit-9006a.jpg  

Last edited by PHML; 06-20-03 at 02:15 PM.
Old 03-13-03, 10:14 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Just wondering if it should it be red to red, and black to white/black? To do that, you would either have to #1. push the pins out from one 9006 socket and switch the pins around OR, #2. flip the 9006 socket over and connect the sockets WITHOUT using the little notch....that means.... in time... the connection may become loose. Here's the pic of the #2. option....it should still connect.
Attached Thumbnails hid retrofit kit-9006a.jpg  

Last edited by PHML; 06-20-03 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-13-03, 10:17 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Here's a pic of the connections.....I didnt mount anything yet.....just wanted to test it out before I started making permanent mountings. Like I said.....still not sure why both 15 Amp fuses popped. I will email or post solutions from Jason as soon as I can verify them.

btw, I had to get a longer red wire (the one from the batter to the fuse) because the whole wiring kit was a bit short for me. I ran the wires in front of my radiator and zip tied underneath the black (unpainted) frame next to the upper radiator. There should be a small opening on both sides of the upper corners of the radiator (foam area) and housing unit. Just stick your finger to push the foam aside and push the socket out of the engine bay area.....head and wires through foam to the other side of the radiator.....back in to the engine area for the driver side.....again going through the foam area. By doing this....I found that the connection to the battery was a bit short. I wanted a somewhat clean install.....attempt to hide wires, etc.
Attached Thumbnails hid retrofit kit-9006b.jpg  

Last edited by PHML; 03-13-03 at 10:27 AM.
Old 03-13-03, 10:28 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Anyone else worked on this wiring setup?
Attached Thumbnails hid retrofit kit-wiresetup.jpg  
Old 03-13-03, 12:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i am at work now but once i get home i will take a closer look
Old 03-13-03, 03:04 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

According to Jason:

"Peter,

If you have ground-switched headlights you will need to swap your pin
connectors in the auxiliary harness plug to your original headlight plug.
Vehicles such as the new generation Civic must the swap the plug orientation
in order for the bulbs to light up.

I'll be getting a hold of a 9006 equipped vehicle later in the day and will
send you pictures of the HID kit installed and working.

Regards,

Jason"

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: hid retrofit kit