Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

hid retrofit kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-03, 12:32 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Another pic with 6000K Ultinons. M6 and M4 bulbs look crappy against this 6000K.
Attached Thumbnails hid retrofit kit-picture-215.jpg  

Last edited by PHML; 03-14-03 at 12:37 AM.
Old 03-14-03, 12:36 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Another angle. Polarg M6 looks yellowish because my 9005 bulbs have that brown gunk inside due to low voltage DRL.
Attached Thumbnails hid retrofit kit-picture-227.jpg  
Old 03-14-03, 12:39 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Shot from dashboard. Private driveway slopes up....but I plan to adjust the beam later on.
Attached Thumbnails hid retrofit kit-picture-228.jpg  

Last edited by PHML; 03-14-03 at 09:36 AM.
Old 03-14-03, 12:48 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

wow that's awesome peter, so you like the result? it looks great man, very good. weird coz' i put m4 on my night time driving light, and it matches relatively well with the 6000k

don't drive too much at night
Old 03-14-03, 01:00 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Rominl:

I totally love this.....6000K is the only way to go. Color wise....it has a tint of blue and purple...but like you said.....when it hits the ground....its pretty white.

Thanks for the referral.

Oh yah, funny thing happened. Jason was trying to solve my problem too.....so he said he will install a 9006 kit and take pics of his setup with this new wiring. Guess what happened? Yep...Jason popped the 15 Amp fuses....LOL. That was kinda funny....even after I told him that GS300 Rich and I both popped our fuses.

Jason and I both figured it out on our own and email one another about switch the polarity on the 9006 socket.

Peter
Old 03-14-03, 01:39 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by PHML
Rominl:

I totally love this.....6000K is the only way to go. Color wise....it has a tint of blue and purple...but like you said.....when it hits the ground....its pretty white.

Thanks for the referral.

Oh yah, funny thing happened. Jason was trying to solve my problem too.....so he said he will install a 9006 kit and take pics of his setup with this new wiring. Guess what happened? Yep...Jason popped the 15 Amp fuses....LOL. That was kinda funny....even after I told him that GS300 Rich and I both popped our fuses.

Jason and I both figured it out on our own and email one another about switch the polarity on the 9006 socket.

Peter
hahhaa, now that's funny. but seems like he's a pretty nice guy huh? actually worked the kit on his car to try get it working too it's great that everything is resolved now. i wonder what car he is driving

oh, and i fogot to say, welcome to the 6000k hid club
Old 03-14-03, 09:45 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Originally posted by rominl
hahhaa, now that's funny. but seems like he's a pretty nice guy huh? actually worked the kit on his car to try get it working too it's great that everything is resolved now. i wonder what car he is driving

oh, and i fogot to say, welcome to the 6000k hid club
I thought you'll get a kick out of that. I did. As soon as he told me, I was rolling on the floor.

Yes....Jason is super nice guy....very responsive to my emails. Delivered as promised. Btw, not sure if he actually put a 9006 kit on his car.... All he said was he had to find a car that had 9006 low beam sockets.

Main thing is that NOW he knows about the polarity wiring setup (he should since he is selling it) for current and future buyers.

Hope my experience and pics will help others NOT to make the same mistake.

Pete
Old 03-14-03, 10:01 AM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great write-up PHML!
I used to live in Hawaii as well -- noticed that they still have the same license plate design too Oh, and I also have a silver GS

I ordered my set from Jason yesterday and he is shipping it to me overnight, so I will have them tomorrow. Thanks to your pics I can make sure not to blow some fuses Also, can the wire to the battery reach all the way? I know you had to get a longer one to make it reach because you wanted a clean install, but is it reachable? I want to have them on, and then later extend the wire.

Also, do you have a full shot of your engine bay to see how everything was laid out? Thank you so much and the car looks great!
Old 03-14-03, 10:55 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Originally posted by brendanlim
Great write-up PHML!
I used to live in Hawaii as well -- noticed that they still have the same license plate design too Oh, and I also have a silver GS

I ordered my set from Jason yesterday and he is shipping it to me overnight, so I will have them tomorrow. Thanks to your pics I can make sure not to blow some fuses Also, can the wire to the battery reach all the way? I know you had to get a longer one to make it reach because you wanted a clean install, but is it reachable? I want to have them on, and then later extend the wire.

Also, do you have a full shot of your engine bay to see how everything was laid out? Thank you so much and the car looks great!
Brendan -

Thanks for the compliments. As for the short wire to the (+) battery terminal....YES....it will reach, but you probable have to run the wire across the top of the battery. The black cable from the relay will be just enough to reach the left side of the windshield washer fluid intake.....that means you will probably have to mount your driver-side ballast on the right side of the windshield washer fluid intake.....i didnt like that....as you can see from pics on Page 2, the extra battery terminal wire allowed me to mount my driver-side ballast higher up and away from directly behind the housing unit (just in case I have to swap out bulbs in the future...it will be easy).

By NO means I consider my install as "clean". I probably gonna re-route my wires this weekend and get some black flexible wire looms to hide the unsightly red wire and connectors.

Have fun. Don't forget to take some pics!

Peter (PHML)

PS: Any ideas on what bulbs to get to replace my M6 and M4 to match this 6000K Ultinon?

Last edited by PHML; 03-14-03 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-14-03, 11:30 AM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick question. How do you go about mounting the ballasts? Do you tie them to something or do you use double sided tape??
Old 03-14-03, 11:49 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Originally posted by brendanlim
Quick question. How do you go about mounting the ballasts? Do you tie them to something or do you use double sided tape??
Brendan -

I zip tied them to whatever was close by and looked secure (ie: other wires, brakets, etc.). I bought a packet of black zip ties. About 6 inch long. Zip ties will be easier to remove if I had to do that.

I never use double stick tape in the engine bay....its too messy when you have to remove them. Also sometimes they dont stick after a while because the heat from the engine dries the tape out....trust me on this....I have past experience with double stick taping my electronic corrosion protection units in the engine bay on my Acura Integra.....I had to silicone it afterwards.

Btw....I didnt use the white zip ties that were supplied.....they were too short, didn't match at all, and stood out like a sore thumb.....very noticeble and ugly.

Peter

Last edited by PHML; 03-14-03 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-14-03, 01:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

try to use zip ties. if you do it right it's very secured. i don't like tape coz' even if you ge tthe strong industrial tape from 3m, when heated they will still get soft no matter what
Old 03-14-03, 04:17 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Rominl -

You can use my pics to update your DIY....that's no problem. Make sure you put your logo on the pics so that what happened to BananaGS dont happen to you. I think you know what I mean.

Peter
Old 03-14-03, 06:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by PHML
Rominl -

You can use my pics to update your DIY....that's no problem. Make sure you put your logo on the pics so that what happened to BananaGS dont happen to you. I think you know what I mean.

Peter
haha, will do, let me talk to diy coordinator to see what's the best way to do it
Old 03-14-03, 08:00 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the great write up phml........I think I am going to go install it right now even though it is 11pm........I cant wait to get my HIDs up and running.............I think I am going to use the heat shrink to hold the two connectors togethor so there is no chance of anything coming loose.........you guys should come and post your rides on CARDOMAIN.COM.........I have both my durango and my lexus on there............its free and you can put up as many pics as you want..............the cars are grouped togethor and there is a daily update on the top ten vehicles...........if you check it out let me know what you think...........thanks again for all the help you guys have given me.............i cant thank you enough.............good luck with your rides.................rich

Quick Reply: hid retrofit kit