Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

hid retrofit kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-03, 08:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

umm..... that's interesting. let's try that on one side first, pete? you can use a little flat head screw driver to swap out the two wires (red and black). from the color of the wires that's very possible
Old 03-13-03, 08:52 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see that you are having problems with your fuses blowing as well..........I put in 30 amp fuses and they blew so I just removed everything and decided to get a solution before I proceeded with anything else...........I see what you mean about the harness from the stock headlights hooking into the harness from the hid kit...............the wires are switched around................was jason telling you to just flip the harness around so it doesnt lock in place?..............When he says you have to switch the pin connectors in the auxilliary harness plug to you original headlight plug what is the auxilliary harness plug? Is that the plug that is from the hid kit? Or is it the stock plug that hooks up to the hid kit?............if you decide to switch the wires in the harness are you going to swith the wires on the stock headlight assembly or on the hid kit assembly?...........thanks for the great detailed pics that you put up, they helped alot..............I know what you mean about the red wire from the battery...............how did you lengthen the wire from the battery terminal?...........I want a clean install as well and that red wire dangling ontop of the battery is limiting the rest of the install as far as tucking in wires and mounting them to the other wires in the engine bay...........I ran my wires along the radiator the exact same way you did..........It may take a little longer but the install will be much safer and much cleaner looking..............thanks for all the help PHML and ROMINL

rich
Old 03-13-03, 09:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by GS300Rich
I see that you are having problems with your fuses blowing as well..........I put in 30 amp fuses and they blew so I just removed everything and decided to get a solution before I proceeded with anything else...........I see what you mean about the harness from the stock headlights hooking into the harness from the hid kit...............the wires are switched around................was jason telling you to just flip the harness around so it doesnt lock in place?..............When he says you have to switch the pin connectors in the auxilliary harness plug to you original headlight plug what is the auxilliary harness plug? Is that the plug that is from the hid kit? Or is it the stock plug that hooks up to the hid kit?............if you decide to switch the wires in the harness are you going to swith the wires on the stock headlight assembly or on the hid kit assembly?...........thanks for the great detailed pics that you put up, they helped alot..............I know what you mean about the red wire from the battery...............how did you lengthen the wire from the battery terminal?...........I want a clean install as well and that red wire dangling ontop of the battery is limiting the rest of the install as far as tucking in wires and mounting them to the other wires in the engine bay...........I ran my wires along the radiator the exact same way you did..........It may take a little longer but the install will be much safer and much cleaner looking..............thanks for all the help PHML and ROMINL

rich
the auxilliary harness i think it's just the plug from stock power connector to the ballasts? i could be wrong coz' i don't have the kit with me. there is only one side of the plugs (i think it's female side) where you can do a clean swap of the wires.

to lengthen the wire and stay with stock look, i will probably try to replace the whole wire from one end to the other, and then use either tape or heat wrap to cover them up.
Old 03-13-03, 10:02 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It works!! It works!!

I just flips the socket around so that the polarity is correct.....red to red, and black to white/black. That's the easiest way. I tried pushing the pin out from the socket kit and broke a little plastic piece that holds the pin in the socket.... I stopped that idea after that.

Thus, the 9006 sockets will be connected together WITHOUT the use of the locking notch. It's a pretty good connection without using the notch.

In regards to the battery terminal wire.....I pushed that pin out from the 20 Amp fuse casing.....removed the short red cable.....re-used the fuse terminal connector .....bought a larger diameter terminal adapter to fit the screw that was already tapping into the positive battery terminal .... and bought 3 ft 12 strand, 20 Amp red wire from Lowes (cost 10 cents per ft).

Lots more slack to play with on both sides.....especially the driver side.

Good luck.

Pete

Last edited by PHML; 03-13-03 at 11:42 PM.
Old 03-13-03, 10:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by PHML
It works!! It works!!

I just flips the socket around so that the polarity is correct.....red to red, and black to white/black. That's the easiest way. I tried pushing the pin out from the socket kit and broke a little plastic piece that holds the pin in the socket.... I stopped that idea after that.

Thus, the 9006 sockets will be connected together WITHOUT the use of the locking notch. It's a pretty good connection without using the notch.

In regards to the battery terminal wire.....I pushed that pin out from the 20 Amp fuse casing.....removed the short red cable.....re-used the fuse terminal connector .....bought a larger diameter terminal adapter to fit the screw that was already tapping into the positive battery terminal .... and bought 3 ft 12 gauge, 20 Amp red wire from Lowes (cost 10 cents per ft).

Lots more slack to play with on both sides.....especially the driver side.

Good luck.

Pete
hey congrats man!!!! that's nice! pics now so it's the wires swaping, interesting. if you don't want to pull out the wire and swap them (since you already broke something), try to use heat shrink tape to tie over the connectors, that way they will be "tied" together
Old 03-13-03, 11:52 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Rominl:

As promised, here are some pics.....NOTE: I did NOT alter the pics at all....straight from the digi camera. I'm not a photographer....so bear with me guys.

Peter

Beam pattern with Hiper Industries 55W 9006 bulb.
Attached Thumbnails hid retrofit kit-picture-221.jpg  

Last edited by PHML; 03-14-03 at 12:25 AM.
Old 03-13-03, 11:57 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Hiper Industries 55W 9006 bulb.
Attached Thumbnails hid retrofit kit-picture-222.jpg  

Last edited by PHML; 03-14-03 at 12:25 AM.
Old 03-14-03, 12:00 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Battery connect. Removed the kit's short red cable.....re-used the fuse terminal connector .....bought a larger diameter terminal adapter (in yellow) to fit the screw that was already tapping into the positive battery terminal .... and bought 3 ft 12 strand, 20 Amp red wire from Lowes (cost 10 cents per ft.)
Attached Thumbnails hid retrofit kit-picture-219.jpg  
Old 03-14-03, 12:11 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Dont do this. Pic of 9006 socket (brown) from your car and 9006 socket (black) from the HID kit.
Attached Thumbnails hid retrofit kit-picture-229.jpg  
Old 03-14-03, 12:15 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Note that the notch to lock the 9006 sockets together will be useless....but its a pretty good connection without it.
Attached Thumbnails hid retrofit kit-picture-230.jpg  
Old 03-14-03, 12:17 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Passenger side setup and mountings.
Attached Thumbnails hid retrofit kit-picture-220.jpg  
Old 03-14-03, 12:24 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Cable from passenger side engine bay to front of radiator....used black zip ties to secure cable.
Attached Thumbnails hid retrofit kit-picture-233.jpg  
Old 03-14-03, 12:27 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Cable returning to driver side engine bay.
Attached Thumbnails hid retrofit kit-picture-234.jpg  
Old 03-14-03, 12:29 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Driver side setup and mountings.....used zip ties to hold things down.
Attached Thumbnails hid retrofit kit-picture-225.jpg  
Old 03-14-03, 12:31 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Beam pattern with 6000K Ultinons 9006 kit
Attached Thumbnails hid retrofit kit-picture-214.jpg  

Quick Reply: hid retrofit kit