Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

98+ GS lighting information

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-03, 09:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts
Default 98+ GS lighting information

alright, so after couple of requests i decided to post up athe information about what light bulbs to use on the second gen gs. for the record i changed out all the interior lights except the footwell ones, the backup lights, the side marker lights, and also the little bulb in the high beam housing (i refer it as the night time driving light). i have polarg in my car so i will refer to their bulb types

UPDATE 6/22/2004: added in more stuff including for the foot well light, glove box, ignition, and also vanity. i want to give the credits to the following members: PHML, 04GS300, Josey, siniquezu, and EXE.UCF10

UPDATED 2/22/2006: here's another thread with more info:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...14#post1739314

backup light - m2 (in newer models it might need M6 instead)
rear door bottom light - m4
rear passenger dome light - m4
front door bottom light - m4
front central dome light - m16
front map light - m17
side marker - m4
night time driving light - m4 (stock replacement) or m6 (brighter out of spec replacement)
foot well light - #74
glove box - #74
ignition - #74
vanity mirror - m24 (a bit fatter in shape but should fit)
trunk light - m4
rear license plate - m4

the backup light imho is a must. it will turn out white, not blue, so dont' worry. it's brighter and clearer and the stock becomes like yellow. for safety i don't know why not.

all the interior lights (except map lights) are very good replacement. the moment i got the car, i felt that the interior lights were all disgusting.... changed them out to these immediately and i love them. everything is white now, brighter and clearer.

the map lights though, the new bulbs will fit but it's probably not the same wattage, so the lights appear a bit bluer than the other lights. but nonetheless i still think it's better than the old stock bulbs

the footwell lights, it's very small and there is no replacement available (if anyone found anything let me know). i ended up pulling the bulbs out, paint them blue, and now it appears greenish white.... if you want to do the same trick, make sure you put on a very THIN coat of clear blue paint, otherwise you won't get what you want at all.

for side marker, if you change it to clear side marker, these bulbs is a must. it's just clean imho

for the night time driving light, i have the m4 as direct stock replacement. it's good, basically stock light you see but now it's white (with very little blue hue) rather than yellow. if you have hid this is what you need at least. some people put in the m6, bigger and run at 15W instead of 5W stock and m4. they are a lot brighter, it's good depends on what you want. i don't get it coz' i think it's too bright and might get flashes from other side of road, plus some people start to get blacked out bulbs (partially burned?) m6. also m6 is a big pain to put in and if you break them it's even harder to clear out the debris. imagine if the bulb burns out and you have to change it. that's why i chose m4. otherwise, m6 might worth a try.

and just to throw in more info, the low beam is 9006 (for non-hid) or d2r (for hid), high beam is 9005, and fogs are 9006. 98 GS does not have day time running light (DRL) is basically high beam running at 50% power. some people like to put in superwhite bulb in the high beam housing as well, but that will not correct the DRL, it will still be either very yellow or very blue.

some people, specially those with non-hid GS, likes to put in superwhite bulbs for headlight, high beams, and fogs. some of the good brands i have heard/used (i haven't tried all of them yet) would be piaa extreme white, piaa plasma white, razo premium, silverstars (some have burnt out issues after a yr).

i hope these information are good enough, at least for 98+ GS owners

Last edited by EXE.UCF10; 08-09-07 at 04:40 PM. Reason: corrected spelling errors
Old 01-18-03, 09:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i am going to make this thread sticky for a while
Old 01-19-03, 02:32 AM
rocklings
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Thanks rominl ...

rominl, thanks for the detailed info... now all I need is to go shopping!

rocklings
Old 01-19-03, 05:00 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

you welcome, mod is a disease
Old 01-22-03, 10:28 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

saving this page for reference, thank you very much
Old 01-27-03, 12:57 AM
rocklings
Driver School Candidate

Default Polarg are the Bomb!

rominl, thanks for all your help with this subject. I printed your message out and ordered the Polarg bulbs right away. Over the weekend I changed all my bulbs you listed with the exception of the map lights [forgot to order them]... and yes you are correct! This modification took only about $75 in cash and what a difference.

One correction to your list I wanted to point out and I'm not sure if my 2003 model is the difference, was the backup lights [reverse] were not M2 (21W) [the socket was also smaller than the M2 bulb itself], the closest match I found was the M6 (18W) - while the actual reverse Lexus OEM's were 16W. I went ahead and added the 18W M2's and figured the safety factory for heat on the sockets is at least 3-4 times the rating + how often are you backing up and actually using them.. Anyway, after all the fun installing the reverse lights look great as well as all others!

One side note, the M2's would fit the rear blinkers which are 21W bulbs. Have you heard anyone change the bulbs behind a red or amber lens and get favorable results?

So rominl you have earned my dubious trust and now what would be another mod for my new 2003 GS300? I already have a spoiler on order and contemplating the TRD front grill. Do you have anything changed on your exhaust? I would like to bolt something on from the back of the car to the tips. While looking at the mufflers, I felt these things look pretty factory. However, I do not want to have an empty can sound ... any suggestions?

Thanks again... rocklings

Last edited by rocklings; 01-27-03 at 01:02 AM.
Old 01-27-03, 02:41 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

haha you welcome rocklings, i am very glad that i was able to help you guys out with the info.

about the backup light, that's weird. i am pretty sure it's m2 on my car coz' i just changed it not too long ago (needed to go to CHP to clear front licence plate). it's very possible that they have changed to new bulbs on the new tails. so on your car it's m6? let me know and i will edit out my post to reflect the changes in newer cars but yes, after i changed my backup lights it's very bright. everyone knows that i am backing out of the parking, haha....

do you have hid for your headlight? that would be a good mod, but we are talking about 400 to 500 bucks, not cheap but the results would be speechless. or spend around 100 bucks on hid-like halogen bulbs for the headlight and fogs, both are good.

i actually have exhaust tips on my car (you can search for pics i posted in the gs3/4 forum). those are borla tips and i like them. didn't get exhuast coz' i promised my gf no noise on my car. 100 bucks and it's well worth the price.
Old 01-27-03, 02:42 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

btw you mean you added the m6 right? just wanna make sure
Old 01-27-03, 01:01 PM
rocklings
Driver School Candidate

Post M6's on the reverse lights

Yes, M6 is what I used for reverse lights. The socket was too small to accept the M2's and the wattage would be over rated. The OEM's were only 16W. M6 = 18W and M2 = 21W [but req. a larger socket].

I have the HID's and love them. Have you heard of anyone changing the daytime running or high beam bulbs to another color to get more blue? I changed the wedge to a M4 and they look great at night.

Where did tou get your Borlan tips? I searched their WP for GS300 and they did not come up - know the part #?

BTW, tell me more about the plate issue and CHP when you have time....LOL

rocklings
Old 01-27-03, 05:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

cool, i will edit out my post about it

so far no matter what bulbs you put in the high beam it's not going to work, still going to be very yellow...

for the tips, pm drewgs4, he got very good prices on them

well, my gf was driving in LA and was pulled for the plate. she wasn't even speeding, and the cop said he did that just coz' of the plate. my gf didn't get ticket for tint, side markers, bulbs, etc... and this is what the cop said, "general with nice cars like these, we don't do anything, but the plate is exception coz' of all the cameras we have for running red lights. don't worry, put it back and you'd be fine. nice car btw"

he was really cool. so when i went to CHP to clear ticket, i decided to remove all other illegal stuff (including bulbs) except the tint, went through just fine
Old 01-27-03, 05:30 PM
rocklings
Driver School Candidate

Question Tint and side markers

rominl, I'm getting my windows tinted next weekend. I was thinking of 15% all around. What is the law about tinting? Is there a percent that is not allowed on the driver and passenger doors?
Old 01-28-03, 02:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Default Re: Tint and side markers

Originally posted by rocklings
rominl, I'm getting my windows tinted next weekend. I was thinking of 15% all around. What is the law about tinting? Is there a percent that is not allowed on the driver and passenger doors?
15% all around?! bad idea... in CA you can tint the rear sides and rear windows anything you want, but for the front two you can't put on anything (the stock is already slightly tinted). i have 35% all around and it's doing ok, anything lower than that in the front you asking for trouble
Old 02-02-03, 12:02 PM
dagr8tsthustla
Lexus Test Driver

Question Preference???

Hey Rominl,

Is there any manufacturer preference in bulbs and how do I get to my License plate bulbs????

thanks,
Danny
Old 02-02-03, 02:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Default Re: Preference???

Originally posted by dagr8tsthustla
Hey Rominl,

Is there any manufacturer preference in bulbs and how do I get to my License plate bulbs????

thanks,
Danny
depends on what kind of bulbs you looking for. for wedge bulbs, i am really a fan of polarg. imho they have the best color. piaa and razo are some other common brands

for lights like low beam, high beam, and fogs, i would probably go for piaa. they are expensive but the quality is there. the next i would go to would be razo.
Old 02-02-03, 03:28 PM
dagr8tsthustla
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry I mean't for interiors

Danny

Quick Reply: 98+ GS lighting information