98+ GS lighting information

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-03, 08:48 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally posted by brendanlim
Congratulations!

Welcome to the 6000k club You should find the following infomration and video pretty useful. Please post pics after you're done! We'd love to see the finished results

DIY Video:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=77450

DIY Information:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...5&pagenumber=2
btw brendan, he just got the bulbs (he has hid already) so he needs another diy
Old 03-21-03, 11:36 AM
twenty1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rominl: yup. i used your referral. i actually just opened up the packing. this guy is on top of his game! definitely good work.

brendan: yeah, please post a diy for my situation if you can. i have some latex gloves (my wife's a stylist, so those are never hard to find), but i'm still nervous about changing the bulb. it'd be an expensive mistake. and remember, you're talking to someone that took 30 minutes to change his wiper blades i might be contacting the toyota dealership, just in case....
Old 03-21-03, 12:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by twenty1
rominl: yup. i used your referral. i actually just opened up the packing. this guy is on top of his game! definitely good work.

brendan: yeah, please post a diy for my situation if you can. i have some latex gloves (my wife's a stylist, so those are never hard to find), but i'm still nervous about changing the bulb. it'd be an expensive mistake. and remember, you're talking to someone that took 30 minutes to change his wiper blades i might be contacting the toyota dealership, just in case....
hey that's cool!!!! so yeah, it's official now guys, i have great contacts on philips hid bulbs, and philips hid conversion kits all 6000k of course

yeah initially when i heard the guy is from taiwan i was a bit scared, but hey, it works. and he's really nice

anyway, i did a QUICK diy. no pics unless someone care to buy me a set of stock hid headlight

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=78054

and even for people with hid, it's hard to do diy coz' the space is sooo small, you can't stick in the camera and take good pics. i tried it, failed completely on the diy. if someone has an extra set of hid headlight floating around in the garage, i am more than happy to do the diy
Old 03-21-03, 03:41 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey guys,

My brother just got back from Taiwan last month and said that HID kits are cheap there. He believes they are Philips, Hella, or Oscram brand ballasts....dont remember the bulbs though....He said the packaging similar to my box from Discountcycle. He said one shop was selling the 4300K H4 HID kit (his car takes H4) for only US$285.00 ...... cheap, huh? A friend of his is going back to Taiwan tomorrow....he getting the 4300K kit, and another friend is picking up a 5000K kit.

I'll try to take pics of the kits and its contents if possible.

Pete
Old 03-21-03, 04:46 PM
twenty1
Lead Lap

i don't know what's good/not good for ballasts, but for bulbs $285 seems high compared to what i just paid for mine thru jus4bulbs. it was (pretty much) $240 for phillips 6000k bulb pair. the osrams were a
little cheaper (approx. $228). just giving you a heads up.
Old 03-21-03, 04:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i thin kPHML is referrng to hid kits, that's cheap. for bulbs it's even cheaper

yup, in asia it's usually cheaper, and no tax.... and they are legit stuff (though even more pirated stuff)
Old 03-21-03, 05:00 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i don't know what's good/not good for ballasts, but for bulbs $285 seems high compared to what i just paid for mine thru jus4bulbs. it was (pretty much) $240 for phillips 6000k bulb pair. the osrams were a
little cheaper (approx. $228). just giving you a heads up.
Yo twenty1 -

Im referring to the entire kit....ballasts, bulbs, relays, wires, etc.....I thought I mentioned it was for the kit....NOT just bulbs for $285.

Pete
Old 03-21-03, 06:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by PHML
Yo twenty1 -

Im referring to the entire kit....ballasts, bulbs, relays, wires, etc.....I thought I mentioned it was for the kit....NOT just bulbs for $285.

Pete
that's really good deal, wish i could get something from there too
Old 03-24-03, 05:23 PM
twenty1
Lead Lap

i can't get the damn caps off to remove the bulbs!!! i've been trying for like 20 mins now. hands were getting sore so i put some leather gloves on, and i still can't get these things to budge. any suggestions?
Old 03-24-03, 09:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i can't get the damn caps off to remove the bulbs!!! i've been trying for like 20 mins now. hands were getting sore so i put some leather gloves on, and i still can't get these things to budge. any suggestions?
you mean the big circular plastic cap, the first step? it's hard to twist off, you need to grab the whoel thing and turn
Old 03-25-03, 05:53 AM
twenty1
Lead Lap

yup. i mean the one in the first step. i will continue to try, and i'll keep you posted
Old 03-25-03, 09:06 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

yup. i mean the one in the first step. i will continue to try, and i'll keep you posted
ok this is really hard to explain but.... if you put your hand over the plastic cover, you notice that at the bottom part there is a "bar" or "****" or whatever you call it. use it as a lever and help to turn
Old 03-25-03, 07:18 PM
twenty1
Lead Lap

Default patience indeed!

ok. progress...... i got the covers off. i got the silver covers off, and i've managed to get the power connectors off as well. now, i can't figure out how to get those clips removed. i guess the problem
is more that i can't figure out what i'm supposed to be doing to get the bulb out. i THINK i have an
idea of how the bulb is being held in, but i can't figure out if i can get those clips off one by one, or do
they need to be done together? am i pushing or pulling? to the left or right? up or down? if you can
help, that'd be cool. thanks.
Old 03-25-03, 08:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Default Re: patience indeed!

ok. progress...... i got the covers off. i got the silver covers off, and i've managed to get the power connectors off as well. now, i can't figure out how to get those clips removed. i guess the problem
is more that i can't figure out what i'm supposed to be doing to get the bulb out. i THINK i have an
idea of how the bulb is being held in, but i can't figure out if i can get those clips off one by one, or do
they need to be done together? am i pushing or pulling? to the left or right? up or down? if you can
help, that'd be cool. thanks.
congrats! you are very close now. ok, i will try my best way to describe it here, but put in your imagination too. right now, you should see the bottom tip of the bulb, and you can touch it too. around it (i believe it's at the bottom), you should see two wires pointing out, and they curved like a circle. that's the lever of the clips. use 1 finger to push the bottom tip of the bulb to avoid it from falling.

now to remove the clips, you need to 1) push the level of the clip inwards (towards the headlight, front of the car), then 2) outward (away from the bulb). then it should be loosen up. you can do it one by one, as long as you use one finger to hold the bulb in place.

after you removed both clips, the bulb will just come out like that.

now put the bulb in, and put the clips back. this is not going to be easy coz' it's all feeling. sometimes you have to try to put the clip in like 30 times to get it right. that's what happened to me. but it works
Old 03-26-03, 05:34 PM
twenty1
Lead Lap

Default progress

ok, with some outside assistance, i have been able to replace the bulb(s). a co-worker of mine that has had a lot of experience as a mechanic did it for me. however (there's always a however for me), the driver side bulb doesn't work. we tried both bulbs out on the right side, and they both work, so it isn't the bulbs.
the bulb looks cool, even in the daylight. can't wait to have the finished product. but, i guess i need to get this into Lexus dealership for them to look into? any ideas what this could be?

Quick Reply: 98+ GS lighting information