Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

98+ GS lighting information

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-03, 06:50 PM
99SHlude
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He said one shop was selling the 4300K H4 HID kit (his car takes H4) for only US$285.00 ...... cheap, huh? A friend of his is going back to Taiwan tomorrow....he getting the 4300K kit, and another friend is picking up a 5000K kit.

Is that for a kit with Philips HID equipment? I saw some generic Taiwanese HID kits going for 220 on ebay a couple weeks ago.
Old 03-26-03, 07:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts
Default Re: progress

Originally posted by twenty1
ok, with some outside assistance, i have been able to replace the bulb(s). a co-worker of mine that has had a lot of experience as a mechanic did it for me. however (there's always a however for me), the driver side bulb doesn't work. we tried both bulbs out on the right side, and they both work, so it isn't the bulbs.
the bulb looks cool, even in the daylight. can't wait to have the finished product. but, i guess i need to get this into Lexus dealership for them to look into? any ideas what this could be?
umm..... yeah, maybe the ballast is dead? that's weird... but yes, the color is awesome, trust me you'd love it
Old 03-26-03, 07:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by 99SHlude
He said one shop was selling the 4300K H4 HID kit (his car takes H4) for only US$285.00 ...... cheap, huh? A friend of his is going back to Taiwan tomorrow....he getting the 4300K kit, and another friend is picking up a 5000K kit.

Is that for a kit with Philips HID equipment? I saw some generic Taiwanese HID kits going for 220 on ebay a couple weeks ago.
even the legit philips kit would be a lot cheaper in asia country
Old 03-28-03, 05:02 AM
twenty1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

took my car into lexus yesterday. it's some 8-900 dollar electrical piece. they don't have it, and won't til monday, so i've been enjoying the rx300 loaner they gave me. perfect timing, with some late season snow coming our way. because i bought my lexus cpo, i'm completely covered (whew)
Old 03-28-03, 08:59 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

took my car into lexus yesterday. it's some 8-900 dollar electrical piece. they don't have it, and won't til monday, so i've been enjoying the rx300 loaner they gave me. perfect timing, with some late season snow coming our way. because i bought my lexus cpo, i'm completely covered (whew)
sigh, you scared the hell out of me.... i was like you had to pay so much for whatever part? as long as it's under warranty, who cares
Old 03-28-03, 10:44 PM
apanju
Rookie

I need some help here...have a 98GS400 equipped with daytime running lights (circled) and HID. Am looking to replace the circled lights (very yellowish)...with something that is white or with a white bluish. I see there are 2 bulbs in each of the lights. Do not know which ones to replace both or just one of each? Also what make and bulb should I ask for...your help is greatly appreciated. What kind of cost would I be looking at?
Attached Thumbnails 98+ GS lighting information-lights.jpg  
Old 03-29-03, 12:30 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by apanju
I need some help here...have a 98GS400 equipped with daytime running lights (circled) and HID. Am looking to replace the circled lights (very yellowish)...with something that is white or with a white bluish. I see there are 2 bulbs in each of the lights. Do not know which ones to replace both or just one of each? Also what make and bulb should I ask for...your help is greatly appreciated. What kind of cost would I be looking at?
ok, the middle bulb that's the high beam bulb, 9005, and that's what the DRL is (the light you see during the day)

however when your headlight is on, it's the bottom small bulb that turns on, that's NOT the DRL, two different things. you need to replace this one. i'd get either m4 or m5. m4 is direct replacement and m6 are out of spec but brighter. both matchines the hid better
Old 03-29-03, 06:42 AM
apanju
Rookie

Talking

Thanks Rominl....what brancd should I get for the 9005 that would be bluish white or white and what brand for the m4? What bulbs do you have on your car!
Old 03-29-03, 11:07 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by apanju
Thanks Rominl....what brancd should I get for the 9005 that would be bluish white or white and what brand for the m4? What bulbs do you have on your car!
i have polarg m4 in my high beam housing, i think it looks the best. as for high beam, i just stay with stock coz' i hardly use it. piaa is the best, but if you want cheaper you can go silverstar. but keep in mind, with any blue superwhite bulbs in the high beam housing, during the day they will still be YELLOW, coz' it's running at 50% power
Old 04-01-03, 06:42 PM
twenty1
Lead Lap

finally got my car back today, and all i gotta say is.........wow! the phillips look so much sweeter than
stock. of course, one of my drl's is now out, but, just gives me reason to finally got some polarg m4's,
which i will be ordering shortly. only other issue is that i have lots of moisture in my right bulb housing.
it's taking away from the look. i'll be searching the boards to hopefully find a remedy to this.

i have a digital camera but haven't used it yet, so i will post some pics soon. (if i can figure it out of course)
Old 04-01-03, 08:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

finally got my car back today, and all i gotta say is.........wow! the phillips look so much sweeter than
stock. of course, one of my drl's is now out, but, just gives me reason to finally got some polarg m4's,
which i will be ordering shortly. only other issue is that i have lots of moisture in my right bulb housing.
it's taking away from the look. i'll be searching the boards to hopefully find a remedy to this.

i have a digital camera but haven't used it yet, so i will post some pics soon. (if i can figure it out of course)
congrats! welcome to the club! the color is amazing huh? hehe.... anyway, the moisture problem is very common among all GS. you can ask the dealer to replace the whole housing. it's under warranty
Old 04-12-03, 05:44 AM
twenty1
Lead Lap

i got my polarg m4's. changed the passenger side no problem, but i've had no luck getting the driver
side off, and my hand got mangled in the process as well. any suggestions?
Old 04-12-03, 11:59 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i got my polarg m4's. changed the passenger side no problem, but i've had no luck getting the driver
side off, and my hand got mangled in the process as well. any suggestions?
yeah that side is super dupa hard to change, so tight in space. i have a small hand and it's very tight for me already. get someone else? watch out, don't break the bulb
Old 04-13-03, 08:38 PM
twenty1
Lead Lap

food for thought.... when looking at the setup of the bulb, there's like this plastic part that kinda sticks out,
and on the driver side, it seems to be butted up against a piece of metal. so, the piece that sticks out is at 7 o clock, when on the passenger side, it is at 2 o'clock? i'm wondering if that has anything to do with it??? the driver side one has been replaced in the past. does lexus do it the same way you or i did it? any chance that this was put back in backwards at the dealership, or there only way way to do it?

either way, i'm going into dealership tuesday to get my bulb housing replaced. i was actually told that they normally only replace housing if there is standing water inside the bulb. don't know what that's all about, but hey, it's gettin done, and that's all that matters. i'll have them do it, but i'll have them look at it first and confirm whether it is in the right way. or maybe, i'll check it out for myself and check under the hood. i'll let you know how it goes.....
Old 04-13-03, 08:40 PM
twenty1
Lead Lap

oh, and even though i'm driving mismatch right now, i love the look of the m4. great match with the 6000k!

Quick Reply: 98+ GS lighting information