Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

98+ GS lighting information

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-03, 09:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

cool! glad you like how the m4 goes with the hid. yeah i think it's 100 times better well actually if you look at the connector, you can install it one way, and the turn it by 180 degrees you can install it again. (if i remmeber right). so that's why you say it seems to be pointing different directions

and yeah, if you got condensation in your headlight, it's warranty
Old 04-14-03, 08:39 PM
twenty1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rom, i'm seriously thinking the bulb was put in the wrong way. i can get my hand on this thing, but i can't turn it at all, and the other one didn't take much force to turn. i'm having engine probs right now (see my other thread) so i'm gonna have the dealer change it on thurs.
Old 04-14-03, 11:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by twenty1
rom, i'm seriously thinking the bulb was put in the wrong way. i can get my hand on this thing, but i can't turn it at all, and the other one didn't take much force to turn. i'm having engine probs right now (see my other thread) so i'm gonna have the dealer change it on thurs.
ummm that's interesting. yeah, keep us posted and let us know what happens.
Old 04-19-03, 10:00 AM
twenty1
Lead Lap

was at the dealer yesterday. they had the lead mechanic look at the bulb, and he said that the way that it is put in is normal, and that the way that they change the driver side wedge bulb is to unscrew the light cover, and replace the bulb that way. i didn't really have anything to say counter to that. maybe since it's easier that way, and they're getting paid for it, they just as soon would do the easier but longer way???
i forgot to compare the way the bulb holder looked under another gs. i have to pick my car up on monday.
hopefully i'll remember to do so then.
Old 04-19-03, 11:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

good luck with it, at lesat the m4 would be in already by the time you get your car

also, woodyaht just gave me some very good advices. if you want to put m6 in and only to find yourself breaking the bulbs and glasses all inside, his way of doing it is to take off the high beam bulb as well, and use air compressor to blow air into the high beam housing and for the glass pieces to come out from the small hole. woodyaht said it worked very well

thanks woodyaht !
Old 04-21-03, 08:42 PM
twenty1
Lead Lap

good info. thanks.
Old 04-28-03, 08:21 AM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up rominl

i finally did the bulb swap, i am very impressed, i love the look and it is VERY BRIGHT in my car now, I love the reverse lights as well, i went with the 2001 tails, and they look sweet. Kinda curious what now?? you change out your hid bulbs? or you go with stock still. What kind of fog light would you recommend, I would like to maybe get a tad funky...nothing nasty, but i have the yellow case fogs, any suggestions? btw good info
Old 04-28-03, 09:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Default Re: rominl

Originally posted by fireballs gs400
i finally did the bulb swap, i am very impressed, i love the look and it is VERY BRIGHT in my car now, I love the reverse lights as well, i went with the 2001 tails, and they look sweet. Kinda curious what now?? you change out your hid bulbs? or you go with stock still. What kind of fog light would you recommend, I would like to maybe get a tad funky...nothing nasty, but i have the yellow case fogs, any suggestions? btw good info
cool, glad to help out

my gs4 didn't have hid, only the stock halogen. so i got the 6000k hid kit and install it myself. i'd never get 4300k again it looks so yellow to me. only 6000k now. my is3 got 6000k already too

i have yellow fogs housing too. i put in piaa platinum white for a bit higher wattage so it's brighter now, but nothing dramatic. i have an extra set of 6000k hid kit, i will probably put it in the fogs as well
Old 05-29-03, 08:10 AM
twenty1
Lead Lap

was just reading this thread again and realized that i never posted that my drl bulb was in fact backward.
i had to go thru a lot of work to get it done, but with the help of fa-suto, i was able to get it fixed. don't know how common of a problem this is, but it's something to keep in mind. still lovin the 6000's. looks sooooo
much better.
Old 05-29-03, 09:20 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by twenty1
was just reading this thread again and realized that i never posted that my drl bulb was in fact backward.
i had to go thru a lot of work to get it done, but with the help of fa-suto, i was able to get it fixed. don't know how common of a problem this is, but it's something to keep in mind. still lovin the 6000's. looks sooooo
much better.
what do you mean backwards?
Old 06-02-03, 02:34 PM
Dimiscus
Lead Lap

Originally posted by rominl
ok, the middle bulb that's the high beam bulb, 9005, and that's what the DRL is (the light you see during the day)

however when your headlight is on, it's the bottom small bulb that turns on, that's NOT the DRL, two different things. you need to replace this one. i'd get either m4 or m5. m4 is direct replacement and m6 are out of spec but brighter. both matchines the hid better
Hi guys, I was reading through this and I have to say that I have no clue when it comes to any of this so please excuse my question if it sounds stupid.

Rominl, what is the difference between M4, M5, and M6. I have read some stuff like what Dex has (M6) and after reading what you wrote, I guess I am a bit confused. I have an '01 GS430 with HID's. I would like to change that lower bulb to match the stock HID's and be whitish/bluish in color. What bulb should I get? Also, what is the best place to buy bulbs like this at the best price? Lastly, what kind of bulbs are in the corner lights? I have clear corners and would like for them to match everything also.

Thanks for all your help and useful write-ups.
Old 06-02-03, 08:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Dimiscus
Hi guys, I was reading through this and I have to say that I have no clue when it comes to any of this so please excuse my question if it sounds stupid.

Rominl, what is the difference between M4, M5, and M6. I have read some stuff like what Dex has (M6) and after reading what you wrote, I guess I am a bit confused. I have an '01 GS430 with HID's. I would like to change that lower bulb to match the stock HID's and be whitish/bluish in color. What bulb should I get? Also, what is the best place to buy bulbs like this at the best price? Lastly, what kind of bulbs are in the corner lights? I have clear corners and would like for them to match everything also.

Thanks for all your help and useful write-ups.
no problem man, like i always say, just ask

if you want a better match with the hid, you probably want to get m6. it's a bit bigger than the m4. m4 is the direct replacement of the stock bulb. but it's dimmer. imho it looks better, but some people prefer m6 more
Old 06-02-03, 08:35 PM
Dimiscus
Lead Lap

Thanks a bunch Rominl. Where is the best place to get them? Also, what about the corners, are they the same bulb or different?

Thanks again for all your help!!
Old 06-02-03, 08:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

damn these are hard questions, i only know stuff i have changed before... i bought my bulbs local, but try optauto.com and see if they have it. no idea bout teh corner lights though, but i am sure they are not m4 or m6
Old 06-02-03, 09:33 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Dimiscus
Thanks a bunch Rominl. Where is the best place to get them? Also, what about the corners, are they the same bulb or different?

Thanks again for all your help!!
You could also try nextcollection.com, 6deep.com, autotoys.com, xtremewhite.com, autodynamic.com

The factory corner bulb is the same as the lower bulb next to the head lights. Universally known as type 194. 194's are also used in:

1)rear license plate lights
2)back seat reading lights
3)all 4 door lower courtesy lights
4)front corners(as previously stated)
5)running lights next to headlights(as previously stated)

The "m"+# is the designations used specifically by Polarg. I currently have m4(direct 194 swap) in my running lights. Yes m6 would be brighter(18w vs 5w), but I've heard horror stories about the m6(18w).
I've tried many different brands, raybrig, polarg, piaa, and some LEDS. I currently run 4 element amber LEDS in my clear corners( clear by day, amber by night), Polargs in all previous places mentioned above, and a pair of white LEDS for my rear plate lights. Raybrigs in my front map lights, and Piaa in my dome light. My opinion, piaa super white is closest resemblence of hid. Seems more "pure" white. I eventually will replace all Polargs with the super whites until such time that white LEDS become wider angle, and more economical.

Sorry for the rant, just wanted to spread the experiences,

Blanco

Quick Reply: 98+ GS lighting information