Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motor Trend Comparo - 330i vs G70 vs Model 3

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-19, 10:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
This is a great post. BMW today is not BMW of yesterday, even the slogan "The Ultimate Driving Machine" is no longer used.
That's because, for the most part, it IS no longer the Ultimate Driving Machine it once was.
Old 05-25-19, 10:31 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's because, for the most part, it IS no longer the Ultimate Driving Machine it once was.
No that is not it nor why.
Old 05-25-19, 12:42 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

True, the G70 is not designed for large families...but then, most people who look at vehicles in this class neither have large families, or are expecting a Chevy Suburban.

Congratulations. Is your wife expecting? Best of luck in her pregnancy.

In that case, I highly recommend Alex Dykes (Alex on Autos). Although his reviews are usually quite lengthy (25-30 minutes), he does not have a personal or political agenda when he does them, only a long, thorough, and complete description of the vehicle from stem to stern, and its manners on the road.
Wife is not expecting yet, but the desire is for that to happen in the upcoming year. Although she has the RX350 which will come in handy then. I would also like to know my car can handle some baby duties so we don't have to drive her car all the time. Maybe I am over-thinking but this would be my first and only child so I am just being proactive.

I too like Alex Auto, his reviews are very informative unlike the stuff that the car magazines are putting out these days which are very misleading. Those editors seem to have an agenda to only promote certain brands and decry others. They focus too much on 0-60 times without looking at the big picture. Daily comfort, fuel efficiency, transmission smoothness and operation, cabin noise etc, the things that we encounter and appreciate on our daily commute.

The only advantage the 3.3T has over the M sport 330i from my test drive is that the Genesis is faster. The G20 feels stiffer in the M Sport guise, has better steering, better brakes etc from my experience. However, the 330I M Sport is fast enough for me and again, the fuel efficiency of the BMW is astounding and thus a win. My daily commute is not on a private road course so a faster car than the 330i M Sport has little bearing to me. I have not ordered the 330I M Sport yet though, still getting quotes on a build. There's also a small chance i might get the M340i just to have the inline 6 motor. I have owned two 3 Series with straight sixes in the past so a little part of my brain is saying, "go big, you only live once". I am still fighting the urge to succumb lol.
Old 05-25-19, 01:57 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Penny pincher Huyndai fans love to critique more expensive cars and people that buy these cars. Guess what, the G70 is not better than the 3 series, it's just cheaper. The 3 series offers a lot more than the Huyndai and is well worth the price premium. Sales numbers reflect this.
Having higher sales numbers do not prove anything you just said, or make the 3-Series better. All it proves is that the 3-Series sells more cars.
Old 05-25-19, 02:00 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This is a great post. BMW today is not BMW of yesterday, even the slogan "The Ultimate Driving Machine" is no longer used.
While this may be true, it's a chicken/egg proposition. BMW is purposely widening its customer base, particularly with the F30 3-Series. The driving dynamics are agreed across the board to be subpar to previous generations. But that hasn't hurt BMW's sales of the F30; BMW wants more non-enthusiast customers. Which is more likely the reason they dropped that slogan.
Old 05-25-19, 02:10 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 485 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
While this may be true, it's a chicken/egg proposition. BMW is purposely widening its customer base, particularly with the F30 3-Series. The driving dynamics are agreed across the board to be subpar to previous generations. But that hasn't hurt BMW's sales of the F30; BMW wants more non-enthusiast customers. Which is more likely the reason they dropped that slogan.
Is it not irony for BMW to make their 3 Series less sporty to broaden their customer base for more sales?
While Lexus is making their vehicles like 4GS and 5LS more sporty to narrow its customer base for less sales?

I suppose the midlife refreshed 4.5GS did a back flip to become more comfortable and quieter, but its too late now at 7 years on...

Last edited by peteharvey; 05-25-19 at 02:14 PM.
Old 05-25-19, 02:22 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

They changed the slogan to “Ultimate Driving Experience”. The driving dynamics of the older gen models are overrated, the new customer is not looking for 15 year old themes and experiences. Those clamouring about past dynamics are just stuck in the past.
Old 05-25-19, 02:35 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 485 Likes on 321 Posts

They changed the slogan to “Ultimate Driving Experience”. The driving dynamics of the older gen models are overrated, the new customer is not looking for 15 year old themes and experiences. Those clamouring about past dynamics are just stuck in the past.
That's not true.
The 2003-10 E60 5 Series and 2005-12 E90 3 Series were the very best handling of the 5 and 3 Series - for any who have ever driven them.

Why shouldn't posters aim for top dynamics?
Isn't that what Toyota Motor Corporation's "No more boring cars" is targeting???
Old 05-25-19, 03:09 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

BMW isn't sitting still, they have heard the complaints and have addressed them. You can get the new 330i in sport line, luxury, m sport, and you can even add track handling package. Or you can upgrade to m340i with adaptive suspension. Then are are more variants of the new m3 on the way.

The dynamics of the old e90 were allright (I actually had a 335i coupe until it was destroyed by sandy), but its performance was static and not adoptable. The new model comes in a lot more flavors, and appeals to a much wider base.
Old 05-25-19, 03:26 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 713 Likes on 446 Posts

I had a couple of V8 E60s, I bought an E60 545i upon launch and then traded it in for an E60 550i.

In 2007, my 550i had an MSRP of $58,500, which would equate to around $72,500 in 2019 dollars (roughly 23% inflation in the intervening period). You needed to add the Sport pack to get Active Roll Stabilization etc which was what really made the handling on the E60 special. It was indeed a great car.

The MSRP for the M550i xDrive is $78.5K, and it's much more car for roughly equivalent money. The Dynamic Handling Package bring Integral Active Steering. Active Roll Stabilization and Adaptive M Suspension Professional. The M550i brings way more power, is hugely quicker, is no less agile and to my mind is easily worth the 6K or so constant dollar difference.
Old 05-25-19, 05:14 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I would have to spend more time with a 330i likely when I get a loaner for my annual inspection. But I don't doubt that it places 3rd. When you take the latest greatest iPhone, and you compare it to other brands' flagships, what do you find? Actually, it doesn't beat at anything at all (how does a Xr go to 720p when a iPhone 6 was 1080p). It's all about the logo, and sadly, BMW has become that to a great extent. I mean floating caliper rears on M5 and Alpina B7, c'mon now. Does Maserati or Alfa or Porsche do that? No.
Old 05-25-19, 05:17 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
I had a couple of V8 E60s, I bought an E60 545i upon launch and then traded it in for an E60 550i.

In 2007, my 550i had an MSRP of $58,500, which would equate to around $72,500 in 2019 dollars (roughly 23% inflation in the intervening period). You needed to add the Sport pack to get Active Roll Stabilization etc which was what really made the handling on the E60 special. It was indeed a great car.

The MSRP for the M550i xDrive is $78.5K, and it's much more car for roughly equivalent money. The Dynamic Handling Package bring Integral Active Steering. Active Roll Stabilization and Adaptive M Suspension Professional. The M550i brings way more power, is hugely quicker, is no less agile and to my mind is easily worth the 6K or so constant dollar difference.
buddy had a 6 man 550i 2009--the cars were still fun back then.

When his wife drove it, she had to text him with a pic that it was parked safely. hahahaha I have hipster doofus friends. Rich, at that, he graduated to a 991.
Old 05-25-19, 06:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Having higher sales numbers do not prove anything you just said, or make the 3-Series better. All it proves is that the 3-Series sells more cars.

One reason the 3-series still sells in large numbers is that some folks, who have not bought a new BMW in a number of years (and have not done much research) haven't caught on to the fact that the new ones simply aren't like the 10-15-year old Ultimate Driving Machines any more. They aren't bad vehicles, mind you (in fact, some of them are quite good in other areas)...but I suspect that some folks don't pay close attention to the new driving dynamics on the test-drive (if they, in fact, take a test-drive). You'd be surprised at the number of people that plunk down tens of thousands and don't even take a test-drive.
Old 05-25-19, 06:49 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Most 3 series buyers are mainstream and not enthusiasts. I bet most 3 series sold don't include the M Sport pack. I bet most don't even get the 340 variant. BMW handling in the F30 was pretty mediocre. Not bad but certainly not as good as its competition. Case in point, they say the new Supra that is tuned by Toyota is better than anything BMW has put out including the M series (go see the Savage Geese review of the new Supra). BMW gave up its class leading handling for a more mainstream appeal. Nothing wrong with that but realize, there are sportier options now.
Old 05-25-19, 07:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

One reason the 3-series still sells in large numbers is that some folks, who have not bought a new BMW in a number of years (and have not done much research) haven't caught on to the fact that the new ones simply aren't like the 10-15-year old Ultimate Driving Machines any more. They aren't bad vehicles, mind you (in fact, some of them are quite good in other areas)...but I suspect that some folks don't pay close attention to the new driving dynamics on the test-drive (if they, in fact, take a test-drive). You'd be surprised at the number of people that plunk down tens of thousands and don't even take a test-drive.
Like others have said. You can still get a BMW that handles very well. The new 3 outperforms the G70 in every performance category according to this thread.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend Comparo - 330i vs G70 vs Model 3