Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motor Trend Comparo - 330i vs G70 vs Model 3

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-19, 10:41 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Did you read the full article? I didn't paste the whole thing because it was quite long. The comparison was not about which is the best sports sedan, it was which is the best compact luxury sedan.
They barely talk about luxury for the G70. The don't even know their own title.
Old 05-22-19, 10:44 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,622 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
They barely talk about luxury for the G70. The don't even know their own title.
Got it. You hate the article. I found it interesting and worthy of sharing, whether I agree with the results or methodology or not. Sorry that you do not agree.
Old 05-22-19, 10:51 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Got it. You hate the article. I found it interesting and worthy of sharing, whether I agree with the results or methodology or not. Sorry that you do not agree.
Fair enough, hope you did not take offence. I just find articles today are written in such a way as to be manipulative.

For example:

Headline: WHO BUILDS THE BEST COMPACT LUXURY SEDAN?

First three words of the article: Sport sedan lovers,

End of the first paragraph:The luxury sport sedan segment might be down, but it is definitely not out.

Final Paragraph: The Tesla Model 3 wins this competition because it has thoroughly rewritten the rules of what a compact sport sedan can be.
Old 05-22-19, 10:59 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

None taken. I didn't write the article. I just wanted to prompt a discussion about how these sedans compare.
Old 05-22-19, 11:00 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,034 Likes on 2,549 Posts

I think some people have a very hard time accepting an electric car can be best in class. Especially from a new auto maker, Tesla has been in business 15 years BMW in some capacity over 100.
Old 05-22-19, 11:05 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

I have a friend with a Model 3. I am going to have to ask her to let me take it for a spin to form an opinion of my own. She and her husband love it and are hoping to eventually replace their MDX with a Model Y.

I also have not driven the new 3 Series. I'd like to, but I'm not in the market so I don't really want to waste a salesperson's time. I'm sure a friend or coworker will pick one up soon that I can take a drive in. I have not driven the G70, but have quite a bit of time behind the wheel of the Stinger. I loved the Stinger, but understand the G70 is supposed to handle even better.
Old 05-22-19, 11:12 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I have a friend with a Model 3. I am going to have to ask her to let me take it for a spin to form an opinion of my own. She and her husband love it and are hoping to eventually replace their MDX with a Model Y.

I also have not driven the new 3 Series. I'd like to, but I'm not in the market so I don't really want to waste a salesperson's time. I'm sure a friend or coworker will pick one up soon that I can take a drive in. I have not driven the G70, but have quite a bit of time behind the wheel of the Stinger. I loved the Stinger, but understand the G70 is supposed to handle even better.
We have driven one of the new Tesla 3 from the Tesla store.. It is an outstanding car. My husband wants one very much.
Old 05-22-19, 12:17 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,893 Likes on 1,966 Posts

I have a coworker who has a Dual Motor Model 3 (that's the AWD model, in layman's terms) and have taken it for a spin around the block. I've also driven a long-range RWD Model 3.

I like the way this car drives, no doubt about it. The instant response from the accelerator is amazing. I don't think it would ever get old to just stab the throttle, especially with the Dual Motor setup, since it was legitimately fast, quite possibly the quickest-feeling car I've driven. It felt like easily a low-4-second car. In addition, the steering response was quite good - it honestly felt like the ratio was basically taken directly out of the IS, as it felt nearly the same. There was a little less body roll, which I liked as well. I also thought the quality of materials on the seats and throughout the interior was fairly good, if not quite as detail-oriented as it should be for the segment. For instance, my coworker's $59,000-ish Dual Motor model has a pretty basic-looking and -feeling headliner, something prior 3-series even avoid, not to mention my own IS with its microfiber-esque black headliner. And, the the steering wheel is completely unremarkable in terms of materials and feel.

I will say I think the Model 3 seems "cheap" to some people because of that lack of attention to detail. Everything is surface-level. That said, the practical bits are all there. No gas station visits (during commuting anyway). It's easy to get in and out of. The visibility is great. The sound system is good. I could go on, but the problem is that it lacks personality. Sure, there are Easter eggs in the infotainment system, but the actual driving nature and the hardware in the car seem very basic, if of acceptable quality.

Anyway, it's a great car all things considered, so I am not surprised it won the comparison test. I would not get one, as it just doesn't tick all the boxes for me. Namely, there's no gauge cluster, and I don't like looking over to the side to see my speed. Additionally, it would seem to be somewhat impractical for longer trips. However, I think I would recommend it to the right buyer.

Honestly my pick of the three, just on-paper, would be the G70. You can't beat that value, and from my prior experience with Hyundai and Genesis, I'd expect it to be a solidly-made vehicle.
Old 05-22-19, 01:43 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
I think some people have a very hard time accepting an electric car can be best in class. Especially from a new auto maker, Tesla has been in business 15 years BMW in some capacity over 100.
No problem with electric cars, but this is a Tesla, model 3 no less. It might have good engine performance, but it looks ugly and its ridiculous interior can only appeal to kazoo-voiced creative types driving to basket weaving class at the beta-boys academy.
Old 05-22-19, 01:47 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,034 Likes on 2,549 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
nobody in their right minds seriously considers it besides a growing army of betamale soyboys.
Originally Posted by Och
but it looks ugly and its ridiculous interior can only appeal to kazoo-voiced creative types driving to basket weaving class at the beta-boys academy.

Come up with some actual arguments not this childish nonsense.
Old 05-22-19, 01:49 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

agreed. Well said 👍
Old 05-22-19, 02:02 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

One picture can say a million words. This car is neither luxury or sport, just a ridiculous cheap pos that can only appeal to brainwashed fanboys.

Old 05-22-19, 02:06 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
One picture can say a million words. This car is neither luxury or sport, just a ridiculous cheap pos that can only appeal to brainwashed fanboys.

Or maybe it's cutting edge design....

Dismissing it out of hand is just as bad as a fanboy automatically embracing it.

Old 05-22-19, 02:27 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tex2670
Or maybe it's cutting edge design....

Dismissing it out of hand is just as bad as a fanboy automatically embracing it.
Its not cutting edge design, its cutting costs design. Cheap plastics galore and a giant tablet to save costs on actual wiring and hardware.
Old 05-22-19, 03:36 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

9 out of 10 ppl will get the 330i and that’s because it is by far the BEST car of the three.
I built a 330i Msport for $50k - the one they tested has useless track package, park assist etc.

G70 can’t be used as sedan.
Model 3 will not lease well and is not suitable for most ppl who don’t have access to private garage. Design is lacking in a big way inside and out.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend Comparo - 330i vs G70 vs Model 3