Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motor Trend Comparo - 330i vs G70 vs Model 3

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-19, 03:42 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,559 Likes on 1,826 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Its not cutting edge design, its cutting costs design. Cheap plastics galore and a giant tablet to save costs on actual wiring and hardware.
I still maintain that you must not have actually been inside one of these. Minimalist - yes. However, to me, it never came across as cheap. That said I didn't have time to really explore the car, just took it around the block. Again I am not saying it's tops in the segment - obviously the interior lacks a lot of the details you would normally expect from an entry-luxury car.
Old 05-22-19, 05:01 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
I still maintain that you must not have actually been inside one of these. Minimalist - yes. However, to me, it never came across as cheap. That said I didn't have time to really explore the car, just took it around the block. Again I am not saying it's tops in the segment - obviously the interior lacks a lot of the details you would normally expect from an entry-luxury car.
You don't have to eat the egg to know that its bad. And I'm not being biased here, I think the BMW i3 is just as bad.
Old 05-22-19, 05:18 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
9 out of 10 ppl will get the 330i and that’s because it is by far the BEST car of the three.
I built a 330i Msport for $50k - the one they tested has useless track package, park assist etc.

G70 can’t be used as sedan.
Model 3 will not lease well and is not suitable for most ppl who don’t have access to private garage. Design is lacking in a big way inside and out.
I will be ordering my 330I M Sport in a few weeks, build price is under 52K. I have test driven the G70 3.3T and it's a beast of a car but as said, two things I didnt like, those were the back seat that I didn't dare try to fit in and the tack-on Navi. I just hate those tack on Navi's. The loaded G70 3.3T I test drove was less than 51K, definitely a bargain. Still you rarely see G70's, mostly the 2.0T which I wouldn't bother with since the 3.3T is enough of a bargain already.

As far as Tesla goes, it would rank last for me, no way I would want to ride inside of that daily regardless of how great of a car it maybe. Thank goodness we have choices, I don't understand the Tesla craze but to each his/her own.

G20 is very good car, too bad they didnt get to sample the model with the base suspension, it is said to be better than the adaptive one, that's the consensus on bimmerpost.

Last edited by EXE46; 05-22-19 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05-22-19, 06:01 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

The model 3 is still ugly as sin/odd looking in a very bad way inside and out and is going to be a very difficult vehicle to drive on a long trip which makes it a deal breaker for me.
Old 05-22-19, 06:57 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 453 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
One picture can say a million words. This car is neither luxury or sport, just a ridiculous cheap pos that can only appeal to brainwashed fanboys.
This is why I want Lexus to pull their fingers out, and quickly give us a full blown battery powered BEV option for the 5GS and 4IS.

I like BEV's, but not Tesla.

I believe that presently Tesla is successful, only because there is no true competition.
Old 05-22-19, 07:29 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
This is why I want Lexus to pull their fingers out, and quickly give us a full blown battery powered BEV option for the 5GS and 4IS.

I like BEV's, but not Tesla.

I believe that presently Tesla is successful, only because there is no true competition.
Waiting for Lexus to pull anything out is like watching paint dry.
Old 05-22-19, 08:35 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Haha, Lexus these days is just sitting idly by raking in the profits while expending the least effort required to stay relevant. I don't know the future of the Genesis brand today, but they could be the biggest threat to Lexus in the future. Genesis is not much of a threat to the Germans; heck, Genesis is getting the accolades now only because their chief designer was pulled from BMW M group, followed by engineers from Audi. Thus the Genesis is more German than it is Korean. Oh, the irony, meet the G70, the new successor to the E46.
Old 05-22-19, 09:05 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 453 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by EXE46
Haha, Lexus these days is just sitting idly by raking in the profits while expending the least effort required to stay relevant. I don't know the future of the Genesis brand today, but they could be the biggest threat to Lexus in the future. Genesis is not much of a threat to the Germans; heck, Genesis is getting the accolades now only because their chief designer was pulled from BMW M group, followed by engineers from Audi. Thus the Genesis is more German than it is Korean. Oh, the irony, meet the G70, the new successor to the E46.
This is very true too.
If Toyota and Lexus is 100% focused on money, money, money, then minimizing technological development to maximize profits and maintain their financial lead with some $200 billion dollars in equity [assets less liabilities] could be just what they are doing at the moment....
Old 05-23-19, 06:44 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

I'm sure they know it but until Genesis gets their dealer network sorted out and in place they are wasting a lot of good press and good will from the positive reviews. Their SUV can't come soon enough either.
Old 05-23-19, 07:53 AM
evident
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000

Come up with some actual arguments not this childish nonsense.
What do you expect, his "beta soy boy" insults are straight out of insecure brietbart believing readers
Old 05-23-19, 08:51 AM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
9 out of 10 ppl will get the 330i and that’s because it is by far the BEST car of the three.
I built a 330i Msport for $50k - the one they tested has useless track package, park assist etc.

G70 can’t be used as sedan.
Model 3 will not lease well and is not suitable for most ppl who don’t have access to private garage. Design is lacking in a big way inside and out.
Which G70 are you talking about? The Non V6 version? The 330i is underpowered and costs as much as the G70 V6. The 340 is more comparative to the G70 V6 but will obviously cost over 60K. What makes the 330i better other than the larger interior?
Old 05-23-19, 09:55 AM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kense
Which G70 are you talking about? The Non V6 version? The 330i is underpowered and costs as much as the G70 V6. The 340 is more comparative to the G70 V6 but will obviously cost over 60K. What makes the 330i better other than the larger interior?
Please stop,the 330i is not underpowered. It’s the second in power as far as 4 cylinder turbo motors are concerned only to the alfa. The 330i is faster than our IS350. Also, BMW is known to under rate their engine output. Everybody has choice to buy either what they want or can afford.
Old 05-23-19, 10:17 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a difference between luxury and premium. Model 3 is not luxurious by any means, trendy yes, belong to premium brand yes but there is nothing luxurious about that interior.
Old 05-23-19, 10:22 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
There is a difference between luxury and premium. Model 3 is not luxurious by any means, trendy yes, belong to premium brand yes but there is nothing luxurious about that interior.
I do not agree. I think it looks quite luxurious.
Old 05-23-19, 03:33 PM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EXE46
Please stop,the 330i is not underpowered. It’s the second in power as far as 4 cylinder turbo motors are concerned only to the alfa. The 330i is faster than our IS350. Also, BMW is known to under rate their engine output. Everybody has choice to buy either what they want or can afford.
Please stop what? Motortrend tested the car doing 0-60 in 5.6 seconds. That is too slow for me. I refuse to pay 50K for a 4 cylinder that does Mid 5's. Why? To say I own a BMW? I don't have an IS350 which is also underpowered to me.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend Comparo - 330i vs G70 vs Model 3