Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motor Trend Comparo - 330i vs G70 vs Model 3

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-19, 11:58 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The old hydraulic BMW units were clearly in a class by themselves.
BMW has made it clear, their customers do not want more feedback. I don’t get what you are trying to argue? You have never owed one of those BMWs. Listen to what BMW is telling you, not what the magazines are clamouring about.
Old 05-26-19, 11:59 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
So what they’re never coming back.
If they were truly desirable, they would be back. But they are not. Customers of BMW have made that clear
Old 05-26-19, 12:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
BMW has made it clear, their customers do not want more feedback. I don’t get what you are trying to argue? You have never owed one of those BMWs. Listen to what BMW is telling you, not what the magazines are clamouring about.

First, I don't take my opinions from magazines.....I think for myself. Second, you have (apparently) never owned a BMW either.....but that doesn't stop you from commenting. I do remember, though, something about you saying one of your relatives may have leased one.
Old 05-26-19, 12:35 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I do remember, though, something about you saying one of your relatives may have leased one.
Yes that would be correct. Multiple family members have owned BMWs in the past.
Old 05-26-19, 01:15 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If they were truly desirable, they would be back. But they are not. Customers of BMW have made that clear
That's only 1/2 true. If people stopped buying BMWs, and it was for THAT reason, they would be back. There are plenty of desirable things that don't come back just because they are desirable.
Old 05-26-19, 01:17 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

First, I don't take my opinions from magazines.....I think for myself. Second, you have (apparently) never owned a BMW either.....but that doesn't stop you from commenting. I do remember, though, something about you saying one of your relatives may have leased one.
No one is suggesting that ownership is a pre-requisite to comment on any vehicle. It's the substance of the comment that matters as to whether one speaks from actual experience.
Old 05-26-19, 01:31 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
That's only 1/2 true. If people stopped buying BMWs, and it was for THAT reason, they would be back. There are plenty of desirable things that don't come back just because they are desirable.
There are many examples in the auto landscape of desirable things that have left, come back, stayed a while or perhaps left again then to come back again If hydraulic steering were that desirable or detrimental to the 3 series owner, BMW would bring it back.
Old 05-26-19, 01:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,408 Posts

It’s not coming back, period. Fuel economy mandates, competition, cost, and reliability have all contributed.
Old 05-26-19, 01:49 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

It’s not coming back, period. Fuel economy mandates, competition, cost, and reliability have all contributed.
I disagree that it would not come back. No for all 3 series models made but for some one off models, perhaps.
Old 05-26-19, 01:51 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Also stability systems that are hard to implement with hydraulic systems. Just like traction control systems did away with throttles that were controlled by cable.
Old 05-26-19, 01:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Also stability systems that are hard to implement with hydraulic systems. .
Why is that? I have stability control in my 4Runner and that has old fashioned hydraulic steering.
Old 05-26-19, 03:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Jill is correct. There is nothing set in stone that says that hydraulic steering has gone (or has to go) the way of the dinosaur. The main issue driving it (no pun intended) was CAFE, and those standards can change with new Administrations or elected officials.

Originally Posted by Och
Also stability systems that are hard to implement with hydraulic systems. .

Not quite sure what you are getting at here. Most braking systems in current vehicles use hydraulic brake lines and fluid. Traction/Stability systems work by activating one or more of those brakes at a time, to control the amount of wheel-slip or understeer/oversteer.
Old 05-26-19, 03:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

OK, I'll bring the thread back on topic now. While I agree with the G70 besting the new 3-series in the comparison, I'm not so sure about the Model 3.....but I can't really comment much further because I have not driven a Model3. By my standards, I find the dash and instrumentation of the Model 3 to be a joke, but the reviewers seem enthralled with its magic-carpet powertrain.
Old 05-26-19, 03:37 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Jill is correct. There is nothing set in stone that says that hydraulic steering has gone (or has to go) .
But it has gone. People are not telling manufacturers they want hydraulic systems. The whole BMW thing is the magazines creating BS. If consumers demand them, then perhaps they return

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 05-26-19 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-26-19, 03:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

But it has gone. People are not telling manufacturers they want hydraulic systems. The whole BMW thing is the magazines creating BS.
It's true that the average car-buyer probably doesn't care (and, yes, there are some advantages to electric systems), but the idea that BMW's hydraulic steering is superior to the electric in fuel and feedback is most definitely not B.S.

I'll tell you what....here's my suggestion (and this is not meant to sound condescending...I know you are sensitive about that). Go to a good used-car place (like CarMax, if your area has one close by) or a BMW dealership that has some good examples of prior-generation 3-series with the hydraulic steering system. Try out one of those older models....you can tell if it has hydraulic steering by the presence of a hydraulic reservoir/pump (driven by the fan/serpentine belt), and hoses coming out of the pump. Then sample a newer 3-series with the electric steering (preferably, a non-M), and see if you don't feel a noticeable difference. I could be wrong, but I don't think, after that, that you will be calling the matter B.S.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-26-19 at 03:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend Comparo - 330i vs G70 vs Model 3