Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motor Trend Comparo - 330i vs G70 vs Model 3

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-19, 05:12 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

You are just ranting for rant sake, nobody is forcing you to buy the car, go buy a 911 GT3 RS, nobody cares. It's pointless decrying the 330I's performance when the car is very competitive in the 4 cylinder entry level luxury turbo motor category. Your argument is stupid, BMW is not your bargain brand. There's Genesis and Lexus if value is what you seek.

Besides even with Lexus there are car's like their F models that are not value oriented. There are always faster cars for the money but again people buy what they want and or can afford. The mustang is a great performance car yet not everybody buys those. Buying a car is not always about value and highest performance. Those are your metrics, which is fine but your incessant whining about the 330i value versus performance is pointless. You're not the target demographic, move on.
Old 05-23-19, 05:38 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Kense
Please stop what? Motortrend tested the car doing 0-60 in 5.6 seconds. That is too slow for me. I refuse to pay 50K for a 4 cylinder that does Mid 5's. Why? To say I own a BMW? I don't have an IS350 which is also underpowered to me.
I drove this same 330i Msport with Track pack at the BMW UDE event.
It is definitely NOT underpowered by any means plus i was surprised how good it sounds doing pulls at full throttle from outside not fake speaker noise.

If you really need more power just get M340i with xDrive it will do 0-60 in under 4sec.

Also the tech in the BMW is at least 5yrs ahead of G70. Graphics, screen, capabilities, safety etc
Plus the fact you can custom order everything on the 3series - color, trim, options, wheels etc.

The new car experience is unrivaled by any other automaker especially if you do Euro or Performance Center Delivery.
Old 05-23-19, 06:00 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I really like the exterior of the new G20 3-Series
Old 05-23-19, 09:52 PM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

The new 3 series is really a great looking vehicle, and the engines are fantastic. Too many BMW haters on this board
Old 05-24-19, 11:11 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by evident
The new 3 series is really a great looking vehicle, and the engines are fantastic. Too many BMW haters on this board
Nope, just keeping it real.

I'm sure the 330i can be optioned up near 70K, LOL! Enjoy!
Old 05-24-19, 02:30 PM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EXE46
You are just ranting for rant sake, nobody is forcing you to buy the car, go buy a 911 GT3 RS, nobody cares. It's pointless decrying the 330I's performance when the car is very competitive in the 4 cylinder entry level luxury turbo motor category. Your argument is stupid, BMW is not your bargain brand. There's Genesis and Lexus if value is what you seek.

Besides even with Lexus there are car's like their F models that are not value oriented. There are always faster cars for the money but again people buy what they want and or can afford. The mustang is a great performance car yet not everybody buys those. Buying a car is not always about value and highest performance. Those are your metrics, which is fine but your incessant whining about the 330i value versus performance is pointless. You're not the target demographic, move on.
This discussion is about the G70 vs. The 330i Vs The Model 3. I realize now that you're buying a 330 which is why you're so defensive. But the reality is paying 52K for a car that will get outperformed by a less expensive genesis is something I feel like talking about. If you can't handle different opinions because you're about to spend money on what you want that's not my problem. I have a right to ask why, whether you like it or not. Whether your reasoning is simple or not. Doesn't mean I don't think the 330 Is a complete and total rip off.
Old 05-24-19, 02:33 PM
Kense
Instructor

Originally Posted by bagwell
Nope, just keeping it real.

I'm sure the 330i can be optioned up near 70K, LOL! Enjoy!
You're just a hater man, a BMW hater! I'm buying a BMW so don't you dare give your opinion!
Old 05-24-19, 03:29 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

We all know that everyone is entitled to an opinion, be that positive or negative.
The secret with these public forums is to find a way of solving the situation where a poster is fine with posting a negative opinion of another person's opinion, but that same poster is uncomfortable when another person posts a negative opinion about the poster's opinion.

I believe Dave4GS should ban the negative quotation of another person's opinion?
In other words, if a poster has a negative opinion - that's fine, just state the negative opinion on its own, but avoid quoting another person's opinion with your negative opinion.
By quoting another person's opinion with your own negative opinion, it becomes a personal attack on the other poster.
It is fine to express a negative opinion, but talk about the car or part, and avoid expressing negative opinions of another person's opinion.

Only quote another person's opinion, if your opinion of the other person's opinion is going to be positive.
Else make your negative opinion directly towards the car/part, without quoting the other person's opinion...
Old 05-24-19, 03:33 PM
Kense
Instructor

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I drove this same 330i Msport with Track pack at the BMW UDE event.
It is definitely NOT underpowered by any means plus i was surprised how good it sounds doing pulls at full throttle from outside not fake speaker noise.

If you really need more power just get M340i with xDrive it will do 0-60 in under 4sec.

Also the tech in the BMW is at least 5yrs ahead of G70. Graphics, screen, capabilities, safety etc
Plus the fact you can custom order everything on the 3series - color, trim, options, wheels etc.

The new car experience is unrivaled by any other automaker especially if you do Euro or Performance Center Delivery.
A 340i Is going to cost you Mid/High 60s and doesn't compare in price to the G70. Personally, I don't care about rolling computers so all that tech is a waste of money and just more potential electrical problems for me. I really don't like that cars are being loaded up with a bunch of nanny tech. Takes away from actually driving the car.
Old 05-24-19, 04:41 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 480 Likes on 301 Posts

Well said, peteharvey

Play the ball, not the player.
Old 05-24-19, 04:46 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kense
A 340i Is going to cost you Mid/High 60s and doesn't compare in price to the G70. Personally, I don't care about rolling computers so all that tech is a waste of money and just more potential electrical problems for me. I really don't like that cars are being loaded up with a bunch of nanny tech. Takes away from actually driving the car.
You don't really need to spend mid to high 60s to get a good performance. The 340i xDrive is 56K and is reasonably well equipped as is. It delivers 60mph in around four seconds. The non-xDrive variant is a couple of grand less and loses a couple of tenths, but it's still pretty quick.
Old 05-24-19, 08:20 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 232 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
You don't really need to spend mid to high 60s to get a good performance. The 340i xDrive is 56K and is reasonably well equipped as is. It delivers 60mph in around four seconds. The non-xDrive variant is a couple of grand less and loses a couple of tenths, but it's still pretty quick.
True, the M340ix I test drove was nicely equipped with an MSRP of $59k and you should be able to get about $8k off with discounts and incentives. I spec’d mine at $66k but a lot of my options aren’t really necessary, more of a luxury.
Old 05-24-19, 08:27 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Originally Posted by patgilm
True, the M340ix I test drove was nicely equipped with an MSRP of $59k and you should be able to get about $8k off with discounts and incentives. I spec’d mine at $66k but a lot of my options aren’t really necessary, more of a luxury.
yes, I saw the other day you were ordering one. Congrats on a fantastic new car! Be sure to post your thoughts and a few pics!!
Old 05-24-19, 08:36 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 232 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
yes, I saw the other day you were ordering one. Congrats on a fantastic new car! Be sure to post your thoughts and a few pics!!
Thanks, will do. It just went into the production phase yesterday so should be here in 8 weeks, hopefully sooner.
Old 05-24-19, 08:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
What a stupid magazine. The BMW is superior in every "sports sedan" performance measurement, yet the G70 is ranked ahead. Lame. All bias. Lots of cliche
Not bias at all. The G70 is ranked higher for a reason. I did a review of one. It is built like a Swiss Watch, uses solid materials inside and out, and, though too stiff-riding for my tastes, is a superb all-around sport sedan. As for the Tesla 3, I can't comment directly on it, from experience, because I haven't driven one, but, from images, the dash and interior impress me. I'm not a fan of the all-screen-look and design. From reports, though hard to fault that all-electric drive train, at least by EV standards.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend Comparo - 330i vs G70 vs Model 3