Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Avalon

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-18, 10:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Maybe someone will come up with a full front end kit.

Or, it could (?) end up being like the former Acura parrot-beak grilles.....painting them body-color to make them less-noticeable. For a time, Acura dealers were actually doing that on customer request.
Old 04-23-18, 10:16 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

because old people don't care and don't have bored kids in the back
ES has had pano for a long time, and the same old people have those
Old 04-24-18, 05:34 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
It can be turned off? If it has an intake sound generator, which the Toyota press release seems to confirm, then there's a mechanical element which can't be removed (easily).

source: http://toyotanews.pressroom.toyota.c...hilaration.htm
yes, it has a button to turn off fake sounds as mentioned in reviews. Even PR mentions intake sound generator is only in Sport+ mode... which is only in Touring.
Old 04-24-18, 06:51 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,490 Likes on 1,798 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
yes, it has a button to turn off fake sounds as mentioned in reviews. Even PR mentions intake sound generator is only in Sport+ mode... which is only in Touring.
Well if it's only on the Touring, that would make sense... I guess they have snazzied up the ISG - in Lexus models it is purely mechanical. Good to know though - TBH sometimes I would like a quiet ride if that's what I am in the mood for.
Old 04-24-18, 07:03 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by arentz07
Well if it's only on the Touring, that would make sense... I guess they have snazzied up the ISG - in Lexus models it is purely mechanical. Good to know though - TBH sometimes I would like a quiet ride if that's what I am in the mood for.
yeah, pretty much every review mentions that it is exceptionally quiet vehicle, some say it is quiet even in Sport+ mode.
Old 04-24-18, 07:27 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do find it funny that the Avalon got sequential turnsignals in NA before any Lexus models.
Old 04-24-18, 08:04 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

TFLCar video review - he loves touring, he thinks it can handle more power, sounds great, great suspension... People who think ES wont compete with midsize sedans, need to think again... or well, they can live in ignorance i guess. If professional reviewer thinks it handles great, average joe will not be able to spot the difference between new ES and old GS.
Old 04-24-18, 08:17 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanSC300lover
i guess they want old people to have a reason to buy an ES then.
Old 04-24-18, 08:58 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Redline as usual very detailed review... new standard in large sedans:

If you want to see details like 7" combo meter graphics or sequential led's front and back, this is great video, as always with redline.
Old 04-24-18, 09:20 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

https://youtu.be/EMPJv_iBLR8

TFLCar video review - he loves touring, he thinks it can handle more power, sounds great, great suspension... People who think ES wont compete with midsize sedans, need to think again... or well, they can live in ignorance i guess. If professional reviewer thinks it handles great, average joe will not be able to spot the difference between new ES and old GS.
Saw a few reviews from Alex on this car, and your link was the best.

I like that the hybrid is now not super slow. I had a new CT200h back in the day, and it was the worst car decision I ever made. I did 27K in 11 months and traded that sucker. It was molasses slow, and since then I have stayed away from hybrid.

To have such a big car (Avalon), and hybrid is only $1000 more than v6, while getting 40s MPG is amazing.

Now the question is, how much price overlap will there be with the ES, and what is the legroom in inches in ES vs Avalon in rear.
Old 04-24-18, 09:52 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Read all the reviews and watched all the vids. The blown to bits front end is not growing on me one bit. Can't picture myself owning a car with so much missing on the body.
You look at the front of your car a lot? There's another grille besides the sporty mesh one. lol At least in my state, the front license plate will block off a good portion of it anyway.
Old 04-24-18, 11:22 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Saw a few reviews from Alex on this car, and your link was the best.

I like that the hybrid is now not super slow. I had a new CT200h back in the day, and it was the worst car decision I ever made. I did 27K in 11 months and traded that sucker. It was molasses slow, and since then I have stayed away from hybrid.

To have such a big car (Avalon), and hybrid is only $1000 more than v6, while getting 40s MPG is amazing.

Now the question is, how much price overlap will there be with the ES, and what is the legroom in inches in ES vs Avalon in rear.
legroom will be likely the same and while Avalon interior is best one Toyoda ever did, of course Lexus ES will be nicer.

Models these guys tested are likely around $45k fully equipped, so it becomes a question if you want a badge and luxury inside/out or is more equipment in Avalon better.
Old 04-24-18, 11:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Explain, please? I am not familiar with that term.
Old 04-24-18, 11:47 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,490 Likes on 1,798 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Explain, please? I am not familiar with that term.
"Panoramic sunroof" I think.
Old 04-24-18, 11:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

https://youtu.be/EMPJv_iBLR8

"Professional reviewer" is relative, I love TFL car but they're just guys like you and me who have a YouTube channel.

The ES will not compete with cars like the 5 Series, etc. With those buyers it could be the best driving car in the world its just DOA.

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Avalon