Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Avalon

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-18, 04:31 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Was at Toyota yesterday getting an oil change. Spoke with the sales manager who has sold my family many cars over the last 30 years. He attended the dealer meeting early this year in the US with the owner of the dealer.

1. An awd Avalon is absolutely on the way. It will be in the 3rd year of the model cycle.

2. An awd Camry is coming as well.

3. TRD models of the Avalon will be offered at some point.
Old 06-12-18, 05:17 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 336 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Was at Toyota yesterday getting an oil change. Spoke with the sales manager who has sold my family many cars over the last 30 years. He attended the dealer meeting early this year in the US with the owner of the dealer.

1. An awd Avalon is absolutely on the way. It will be in the 3rd year of the model cycle.

TRD version of the Avalon? In addition to having the Sport model? Talk about a radical shift into the Avalon platform- not necessarily bad but definitely different.
Old 06-12-18, 05:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Was at Toyota yesterday getting an oil change.

Do you go strictly by time/mileage, or do your vehicles have computer-tracking of oil-life? My Verano's computer seemed to be quite liberal in allowing a long oil-life.....under the same driving conditions, my Lacrosse's computer is noticeably more strict, even with the required full-synthetic oil. Good thing the first two changes are on the house LOL.

Spoke with the sales manager who has sold my family many cars over the last 30 years. He attended the dealer meeting early this year in the US with the owner of the dealer.

Well, assuming the SM is correct in matters like this (and not all of them are)...that would be quite a move, considering that other manufacturers are restricting, cutting back, or even eliminating sedan offerings in the American market. I personally don't think a TRD version of the Avalon will sell very well, though.....Toyota tried a firm Touring suspension on the 2013 model, and was forced to soften it up some for the 2016 model year mid-cycle refresh.
Old 06-12-18, 06:42 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

For oil changes. I go by 6 months or 5K (miles). There is no engine oil monitors for Toyota cars from what I understand. Maybe the newer Lexus models have it but not sure.
Old 06-12-18, 06:53 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Also Prius e-four and ES AWD.
Old 06-12-18, 05:14 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

To quote, what you said to me in the other post:
You really have no idea if or when or how a new engine will arrive.
Same reference to this: you really have no idea if an AWD will arrive.

In my opinion - the Sales Manager and dealers knows as much as we do. SM don't really get the inside scoop on these things. Sure - maybe hes right and maybe hes wrong. I'm just saying a SM is a bad source intel for future directions of a vehicle, when said vehicle isn't even on sale yet...

I think TRD Models of the Avalon will yield awful sales figures. No one that buys Avalon will pay extra for TRD packaging of it. I don't believe the core demographics of the Avalon do not care about TRD nor will enthusiasts. Toyota Avalon sales are already good - why would they waste money to develop something that won't draw a high net amount of money in return?

Similarity - this is how I feel about the Camry, Avalon and ES AWD debate. The Camry, Avalon and ES sales are already pretty good considering the SUV craze in the USA. Adding AWD to the Camry, Avalon and ES will only increase the price of the vehicle. With that price-tag increase - the question remains - would anyone pay the premium for AWD? Would anyone pay extra for a AWD Camry, Avalon and ES over RAV4 or NX/RX? I believe they won't. There was no demand for a AWD ES during the 6G ES - not sure why all of sudden we start to believe Toyota will start giving us an AWD Camry, Avalon and ES now.
Besides - the Camry XSE loaded cost about 37K. An AWD Camry XSE loaded, I assume, would probably be closing onto 40K. I don't think that will sell.
Old 06-13-18, 01:43 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

To be fair, there will be an AWD Altima. We saw an AWD Fusion not long ago. It kinda makes sense. It gives buyers another option if they want an AWD vehicle and gives the manufacturer a slightly larger target market. Does Toyota need to do it? No. But, I don't think it is a far-fetched idea.
Old 06-13-18, 01:47 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Sounds like mid cycle refresh. Which makes sense. You dont want to **** off the early adopters.
Old 06-13-18, 01:49 PM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
To quote, what you said to me in the other post:

Same reference to this: you really have no idea if an AWD will arrive.

In my opinion - the Sales Manager and dealers knows as much as we do. SM don't really get the inside scoop on these things. Sure - maybe hes right and maybe hes wrong. I'm just saying a SM is a bad source intel for future directions of a vehicle, when said vehicle isn't even on sale yet...

I think TRD Models of the Avalon will yield awful sales figures. No one that buys Avalon will pay extra for TRD packaging of it. I don't believe the core demographics of the Avalon do not care about TRD nor will enthusiasts. Toyota Avalon sales are already good - why would they waste money to develop something that won't draw a high net amount of money in return?

Similarity - this is how I feel about the Camry, Avalon and ES AWD debate. The Camry, Avalon and ES sales are already pretty good considering the SUV craze in the USA. Adding AWD to the Camry, Avalon and ES will only increase the price of the vehicle. With that price-tag increase - the question remains - would anyone pay the premium for AWD? Would anyone pay extra for a AWD Camry, Avalon and ES over RAV4 or NX/RX? I believe they won't. There was no demand for a AWD ES during the 6G ES - not sure why all of sudden we start to believe Toyota will start giving us an AWD Camry, Avalon and ES now.
Besides - the Camry XSE loaded cost about 37K. An AWD Camry XSE loaded, I assume, would probably be closing onto 40K. I don't think that will sell.
Petty much?

She is simply relaying what the sales manager told her. She isnt predicting these things on her own while sitting in the bathroom.
Old 06-13-18, 01:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm with you on this one........I will be very surprised if a TRD Avalon manages to get significant sales figures. Like the Lacrosse with its slow-selling 20" wheel and Hi-Per Strut suspension option, it simply doesn't fit most of the car's demographics. And, though we'll have to wait and see, I don't think that the upcoming ES350 F-Sport models are going to do very well, either. The manufacturers seem to have forgotten that the vast majority of those who buy these vehicles (although, admittedly, a dwindling customer-base) are NOT looking for sport-orientation.
Old 06-13-18, 02:07 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by situman
Petty much?

She is simply relaying what the sales manager told her. She isnt predicting these things on her own while sitting in the bathroom.
I don't think its petty. I just used a quote she said to me. Its a fair quote to use back on her.
Because, after-all, no one knows what will happen to the Lexus ES in 1-3 years time except for the higher-ups. This means, the dealer (sales manager) will likely not know.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm with you on this one........I will be very surprised if a TRD Avalon manages to get significant sales figures. Like the Lacrosse with its slow-selling 20" wheel and Hi-Per Strut suspension option, it simply doesn't fit most of the car's demographics. And, though we'll have to wait and see, I don't think that the upcoming ES350 F-Sport models are going to do very well, either. The manufacturers seem to have forgotten that the vast majority of those who buy these vehicles (although, admittedly, a dwindling customer-base) are NOT looking for sport-orientation.
I agree with you on the ES350 F-Sport as well. I don't think the F-Sport model will do very well either. I think, based on the core demographics of the ES, the model that is likely to sell is the Base (especially with Apple Car Play now), Premium, and Premium + Luxury Pack. Ultra Luxury Pack and F-Sport will probably be the less popular choices. The only reason I think Lexus even added a F-Sport model to the ES is that they are adding F-Sport to everything. Lol.
I don't think the Lexus LS needs a F-Sport too. I think it needs a LS-F though.
Old 06-14-18, 07:20 AM
situman
Pole Position

I don't think its petty. I just used a quote she said to me. Its a fair quote to use back on her.
Because, after-all, no one knows what will happen to the Lexus ES in 1-3 years time except for the higher-ups. This means, the dealer (sales manager) will likely not know.
Clearly you were offended and fuming and was waiting for a chance to throw it back at her face. Just...let it go. It's the internet.
Old 06-14-18, 10:02 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by situman
Clearly you were offended and fuming and was waiting for a chance to throw it back at her face. Just...let it go. It's the internet.
What? In what part of my post is considered me "fuming" or feeling "offended". All I did was replied to her exactly what she replied to me. She pointed out a fair and reasonable comment towards me - that no one knows what will happen. And I told her the same thing - its fair.

To assume that I stalk the forums waiting for a chance to reply that comment back to her is ludicrous - how would I ever know when she will ever post?

Maybe you should let it go - you clearly more offended by this am I. And you are clearly more offended by this than she is. Lets get back on topic - the Avalon.
Old 06-14-18, 11:32 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

BippuLexus, please exit this thread.
Old 06-14-18, 12:48 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I too am having a hard time seeing a TRD Avalon or understanding what it is supposed to accomplish.

But I think the ES F Sport will do well. Lexus is expecting 50k ES sales per year, with 25% being F Sport, and I can see that happening. I wonder what the take rate is on the RX F Sport. I wouldn't be surprised if the ES F Sport can do better in sales than the RX F Sport.

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Avalon