Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Avalon

 
Old 06-14-18, 12:57 PM
  #586  
Allen K
Epic Allen
iTrader: (4)
 
Allen K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,717
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by JDR76 View Post
I too am having a hard time seeing a TRD Avalon or understanding what it is supposed to accomplish.

But I think the ES F Sport will do well. Lexus is expecting 50k ES sales per year, with 25% being F Sport, and I can see that happening. I wonder what the take rate is on the RX F Sport. I wouldn't be surprised if the ES F Sport can do better in sales than the RX F Sport.
Agreed, especially since the only vehicles (at least in the US) that have dedicated TRD packages look to be the Tacoma and the 4Runner.
Allen K is online now  
Old 06-14-18, 01:03 PM
  #587  
LexsCTJill
Lexus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ON
Posts: 13,249
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by JDR76 View Post
I too am having a hard time seeing a TRD Avalon or understanding what it is supposed to accomplish.

But I think the ES F Sport will do well. Lexus is expecting 50k ES sales per year, with 25% being F Sport, and I can see that happening. I wonder what the take rate is on the RX F Sport. I wouldn't be surprised if the ES F Sport can do better in sales than the RX F Sport.
What difference does it make if the take rate for a ES F sport is whatever it is? The F Sport trim is pretty much a light cosmetic alternative to the regular models. So it is a win situation for Toyota to offer these model. Instead of having to jump to another trim, customers just chose the alternative. My guess is a TRD model is not going to be an additional model, it likely will the replacement for the Avalon Sport model with perhaps a few upgrades that mostly minor.
LexsCTJill is online now  
Old 06-14-18, 01:09 PM
  #588  
JDR76
Lexus Fanatic
 
JDR76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: WA
Posts: 7,426
Received 418 Likes on 334 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill View Post
What difference does it make if the take rate for a ES F sport is whatever it is? The F Sport trim is pretty much a light cosmetic alternative to the regular models. So it is a win situation for Toyota to offer these model. Instead of having to jump to another trim, customers just chose the alternative. My guess is a TRD model is not going to be an additional model, it likely will the replacement for the Avalon Sport model with perhaps a few upgrades that mostly minor.
I'm not understanding your question. Can you elaborate? I was merely adding information to the comment below, that Lexus expects 25% of ES sales to be the F Sport.

Originally Posted by mmarshall View Post
I'm with you on this one........I will be very surprised if a TRD Avalon manages to get significant sales figures. Like the Lacrosse with its slow-selling 20" wheel and Hi-Per Strut suspension option, it simply doesn't fit most of the car's demographics. And, though we'll have to wait and see, I don't think that the upcoming ES350 F-Sport models are going to do very well, either. The manufacturers seem to have forgotten that the vast majority of those who buy these vehicles (although, admittedly, a dwindling customer-base) are NOT looking for sport-orientation.
JDR76 is online now  
Old 06-14-18, 01:13 PM
  #589  
bitkahuna
resisting entropy
iTrader: (20)
 
bitkahuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Present
Posts: 56,078
Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts
Default

toyota/lexus has totally botched the 'performance' add-ons branding/marketing/product in the u.s., forever.

trd, f-sport, l-tuned, toms, trying to remember if there's others too...

they need more consistency.

a trd avalon is like a a stiff suspension and low profile wheels on mmarshall's lacrosse... it's like, huh?
bitkahuna is online now  
Old 06-14-18, 01:18 PM
  #590  
situman
Lexus Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 1,830
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Allen K View Post
Agreed, especially since the only vehicles (at least in the US) that have dedicated TRD packages look to be the Tacoma and the 4Runner.

I see plenty of TRD (badges) on Corollas, Camrys, Avalons and Hondas around where I live! So they must exist, at Autozone.

In all seriousness, I think the platform is finally good enough to be TRDed. The old platforms were just too wobbly and lacks overall rigidity to handle the stiffer shocks and springs. Then again, it is weird that Toyota did not debut the TRD packages with the introduction of the new models. It will definitely help in drumming up interest in these days of SUVness.
situman is offline  
Old 06-14-18, 01:39 PM
  #591  
LexsCTJill
Lexus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ON
Posts: 13,249
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by JDR76 View Post
I'm not understanding your question. Can you elaborate? I was merely adding information to the comment below, that Lexus expects 25% of ES sales to be the F Sport.
You said you wonder what the take rate is of the F-sport. I was just saying it really makes no difference, as it is all the same. It is just an alternative to another trim level.
LexsCTJill is online now  
Old 06-14-18, 01:43 PM
  #592  
JDR76
Lexus Fanatic
 
JDR76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: WA
Posts: 7,426
Received 418 Likes on 334 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill View Post
You said you wonder what the take rate is of the F-sport. I was just saying it really makes no difference, as it is all the same. It is just an alternative to another trim level.
It's just discussion. Questions came up about how well the ES F Sport would sell. I think it can sell at least as many as the RX F Sport. So I asked about the take rate on the RX F Sport as I was curious as to how that would relate to the goals that Lexus has set for the ES F Sport.
JDR76 is online now  
Old 06-14-18, 02:27 PM
  #593  
LexsCTJill
Lexus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ON
Posts: 13,249
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by JDR76 View Post
It's just discussion. Questions came up about how well the ES F Sport would sell. I think it can sell at least as many as the RX F Sport. So I asked about the take rate on the RX F Sport as I was curious as to how that would relate to the goals that Lexus has set for the ES F Sport.
Yeah I agree. It is just discussion. An interesting one. I think the F-sport sub-brand is doing quite well.
LexsCTJill is online now  
Old 06-14-18, 02:38 PM
  #594  
JDR76
Lexus Fanatic
 
JDR76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: WA
Posts: 7,426
Received 418 Likes on 334 Posts
Default

I see the Avalons are showing up at dealers now.

I'm still not sure about the look, but this is some of the best wheel gap I've seen from Toyota!

JDR76 is online now  
Old 06-14-18, 07:48 PM
  #595  
bitkahuna
resisting entropy
iTrader: (20)
 
bitkahuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Present
Posts: 56,078
Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts
Default

Looks good from the side... buttaface...
bitkahuna is online now  
Old 06-15-18, 03:49 AM
  #596  
jrmckinley
Lexus Test Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: fl
Posts: 1,565
Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bitkahuna View Post
Looks good from the side... buttaface...
LMAO. It does look good from the side for sure- and I agree on the wheel gap comment. I hadn't heard that term before until the thread started on here a few days ago - but now I notice it and how it changes the look of a car.

Like most new Toyota designs, I think the cars look much better in person than in pics. But I like the Avalon pictured above.
jrmckinley is offline  
Old 06-15-18, 04:43 AM
  #597  
LexsCTJill
Lexus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ON
Posts: 13,249
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jrmckinley View Post
LMAO. It does look good from the side for sure- and I agree on the wheel gap comment. I hadn't heard that term before until the thread started on here a few days ago - but now I notice it and how it changes the look of a car.

Like most new Toyota designs, I think the cars look much better in person than in pics. But I like the Avalon pictured above.
It certainly does look better in person. Front end was designed to stir a reaction, a positive or a negative reaction. Those poking fun of the Avalon are responding to it, the response is just not in a neutral way, but that is OK as long as the response is not “meh” or “boring” etc etc. And if you look at all the cars that face (irony in there) some sort of extinction, they are generally more conservative, bland or ho hum designs. I won’t mention any car brands or names.
LexsCTJill is online now  
Old 06-15-18, 06:18 AM
  #598  
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic
 
mmarshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Virginia/D.C. suburbs
Posts: 74,743
Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill View Post
It certainly does look better in person. Front end was designed to stir a reaction, a positive or a negative reaction. Those poking fun of the Avalon are responding to it, the response is just not in a neutral way, but that is OK as long as the response is not “meh” or “boring” etc etc. And if you look at all the cars that face (irony in there) some sort of extinction, they are generally more conservative, bland or ho hum designs. I won’t mention any car brands or names.
Well, you answered your own point. If you wave a red flag in front of a bull, don't be surprised if you get a reaction.
mmarshall is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Avalon


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: