Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Supra

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-19, 02:39 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Honestly- I rather pay $10k more and get an M2, a real BMW.

This Supra has way too many compromises for costing $50k plus.
Old 01-13-19, 06:13 PM
sorptd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of new pictures over at carscoops. Its looks fantastic IMO !

Source: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/01/20...oduction-form/

Old 01-13-19, 07:01 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

I might be in the minority, but I really love the A90. Looks incredible in those pictures. Over time, people would become more accepting of it. I am glad Toyota at least did it and are trying to the change the image of the brand.
Old 01-13-19, 07:07 PM
nicedude
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ Looks great in that metallic grey color (could be a standard BMW color). Kind of tired of seeing it in red, but will see a lot more of that red tomorrow when it is "officially" unveiled.

As a former MKIV owner, I can understand the "hate" from OG Supra fans, but am kind of confused at the random negativity from other dedicated forums. Not even going to waste my time reading comments on social media.

I would be interested in to reading future comparisons between the Supra and the Cayman. Yes, a wild comparison, but not really considering they did even wilder comparisons between the GT86 and the Cayman in 2013. The hype was real back then and history will repeat itself again with this new "Toyota" offering. But who knows if the Supra is even better than the new Z4 so yeah gotta wait.

Do enthusiasts really compare cars by price range? I thought only non-enthusiasts do that to field some general help.
Old 01-13-19, 07:08 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

That's a lovely shot sorptd, I like that profile....Let's wait for the actual reviews before passing judgement. If it's as good as the 718 GTS then it's a winner. I could see owning one in the future then.
Old 01-13-19, 07:42 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Agreed. You hit the nail on the head.

That is exactly what I am observing that the hate is coming from the A80 crowd (for example. vlogger superspeederrob). This vlogger said, it should have been badged a BRZ rather than a Supra. The A90 is doing its own thing. I have read a lot of comments about people saying "how dare Toyota put the Supra badge on it", which is ridiculous since MK1 through MK4 Supra all were different in their own ways. I don't know where is it coming from where people say "it ain't a Supra if it is not 2JZ". The A90 is doing its own thing, which is different from the A80, which tended to be a 2+2 GT luxury sports car of its day.

I think it will be a blast to drive on tight, small tracks where the small size/maneuverability and short wheelbase really come alive. The MK4 made its name by doing highway roll races.

With the A90, Tada seems to be making it focused on driving dynamics rather than how fast it is in straight line or how much power it be modded up to.

Originally Posted by nicedude
^ Looks great in that metallic grey color (could be a standard BMW color). Kind of tired of seeing it in red, but will see a lot more of that red tomorrow when it is "officially" unveiled.

As a former MKIV owner, I can understand the "hate" from OG Supra fans, but am kind of confused at the random negativity from other dedicated forums. Not even going to waste my time reading comments on social media.

I would be interested in to reading future comparisons between the Supra and the Cayman. Yes, a wild comparison, but not really considering they did even wilder comparisons between the GT86 and the Cayman in 2013. The hype was real back then and history will repeat itself again with this new "Toyota" offering. But who knows if the Supra is even better than the new Z4 so yeah gotta wait.

Do enthusiasts really compare cars by price range? I thought only non-enthusiasts do that to field some general help.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 01-13-19 at 08:07 PM.
Old 01-13-19, 08:09 PM
sorptd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EXE46
That's a lovely shot sorptd, I like that profile....Let's wait for the actual reviews before passing judgement. If it's as good as the 718 GTS then it's a winner. I could see owning one in the future then.
Yeah, this was probably the best angle - looks very purposeful. I am quite confident this will look even better in person.
Old 01-13-19, 08:52 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Agreed. You hit the nail on the head.

That is exactly what I am observing that the hate is coming from the A80 crowd (for example. vlogger superspeederrob). This vlogger said, it should have been badged a BRZ rather than a Supra. The A90 is doing its own thing. I have read a lot of comments about people saying "how dare Toyota put the Supra badge on it", which is ridiculous since MK1 through MK4 Supra all were different in their own ways. I don't know where is it coming from where people say "it ain't a Supra if it is not 2JZ". The A90 is doing its own thing, which is different from the A80, which tended to be a 2+2 GT luxury sports car of its day.

I think it will be a blast to drive on tight, small tracks where the small size/maneuverability and short wheelbase really come alive. The MK4 made its name by doing highway roll races.

With the A90, Tada seems to be making it focused on driving dynamics rather than how fast it is in straight line or how much power it be modded up to.

Those pictures just make it look ugly, bland, and odd looking. Kind of a hard thing to accomplish. I'll hold out hope it looks better in person but this is turning out to be such a huge disappointment so far.
Old 01-13-19, 10:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Those pics of the gray one...
Old 01-14-19, 12:02 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Looks like a toad / frog.

i like the front and rear but the side clutter, door cutouts???, short wheelbase and overall strange stance ruin the styling.
Old 01-14-19, 02:00 AM
EthanV
Lead Lap

It would be really nice if they can make it like the Ft1 but toyota change their direction to make it short like a porsche and let the Lexus handle the 2+2 GT.
Old 01-14-19, 07:17 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I'm okay with the styling, and am assuming it's going to seem very small in person. I am not even that bothered by the BMW engine, as that engine is a beautiful thing. I am, however, oddly irritated with the interior, which appears to be pretty much straight BMW. I get sharing a platform and an engine, but come on, put a Toyota interior in it.
Old 01-14-19, 07:32 AM
venom21
Instructor

BMW engine, BMW electrics, BMW interior, man this thing is going to be a nightmare out of warranty.
Old 01-14-19, 07:49 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by plex
I don't disagree with them using the LC platform but they bench marked Cayman for the MKV and not a GT car and I doubt they would develop a new I6 motor unless it could be shared with other cars in the Toyota family.

Latest rumors on pricing below: No idea on what options on each trim will be guess we will have to wait until Monday or after for official details.

Car will have 340bhp

Pricing will be:
3.0 liter $49,990
3.0 Premium $53,990
Launch Edition $55,250

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/the...a-models.1500/
Quite disappointing to say the least.
Old 01-14-19, 08:53 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

<3 cant wait to see this in person