Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Supra

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-19, 08:56 AM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like a large Miata
Old 01-11-19, 09:05 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Kense
Looks like a large Miata
With Toyota bench marking Cayman for this car the size isn't surprising I wish it was bigger.
Old 01-11-19, 09:28 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
A major engine upgrade is no where on par with cosmetic changes. M2 was only out for 3 model years before getting a complete engine upgrade. Why didnt they just put M3/4 engine in the first place? Its also a middle finger to M3/4 owners.
Its the same logic though. Its only in your opinion that a major engine upgrade is no the same as cosmetic changes. What I was talking about wasn't even just cosmetic changes - it was new tech and features as well.

You have understand car changes happen every year, two years or three. There's no controlling it. If you are that worried about engine changes, buy a new car every year - because that's just how the business is.
Old 01-11-19, 09:31 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

i love it! i would have liked it to be much bigger as well.
Looks like a large Miata

so much truth to this. i can hear the word on the streets and memes now much like how the FRS and BRZ is the new 240.

nice hardtop s2k/miata.
nice nissan 3X0Z!
what year 3X0Z is that?
what model year is that miata/s2k/3X0Z?
what kind of hardtop you got on that miata/s2k/3X0Z?
what kind of exhaust you got on that miata/s2k/3X0Z?
what body kit you got on that miata/s2k/3X0Z?
what engine you swap in that miata/s2k/3X0Z?

just sayin

LOL
Old 01-11-19, 10:36 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Embarrassing. It's a BMW Z4 for Pet's sake. It appears very little of Toyotas' work actually went into the car. So much for a legend.
Old 01-11-19, 10:36 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Looks like a large Miata
That is exactly what I thought. It is just too small, should have been longer.
Old 01-11-19, 10:38 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by plex
With Toyota bench marking Cayman for this car the size isn't surprising I wish it was bigger.
That's the problem, should have been benchmarked against a 911 or 928 type Porsche like the last Supra.
Old 01-11-19, 10:48 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Embarrassing. It's a BMW Z4 for Pet's sake. It appears very little of Toyotas' work actually went into the car. So much for a legend.
Toyota supposedly had a hand in the tuning etc on the Supra....not sure what they did exactly until they officially release something we won't truly know.

Originally Posted by UDel
That's the problem, should have been benchmarked against a 911 or 928 type Porsche like the last Supra.
100% agree those would have been better benchmarks a smaller sportier lighter LC chassis would have worked with the 3.5 V6TT from the LS500 but who knows why Toyota went the route they did.

Hopefully Monday's reveal will have a lot of info.
Old 01-11-19, 12:02 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by plex
100% agree those would have been better benchmarks a smaller sportier lighter LC chassis would have worked with the 3.5 V6TT from the LS500 but who knows why Toyota went the route they did.
This has been the new trend with Toyota sports cars lately. Share development costs with other manufacturers (Subie and BMW) or use old parts (5L V8, RCF, GSF)
Old 01-11-19, 12:55 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Looks like an updated GT86 rather than a Supra.
At $60k plus - good luck.

The short wheelbase really hurts the look of this car.
My thoughts exactly. It has more of a fancy compact car look, whereas the last Supras were full-bodied gran tourers. This is not an upgrade.
Old 01-11-19, 05:10 PM
pizzafan
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lexus already has two grand tourers -- rc-f, lc500.
They are not selling well. There's no point making a 3rd.

It's a good thing that this supra is not the same. Lexus could use a sports car to compete with the 718 & 911
Old 01-11-19, 05:41 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The MKV will never be good enough for MKIV owners and enthusiasts. Toyota already did the research on this and knows all of these things. So why try and fill that niche market? The MKIV is legendary and deserves every bit of the praise that it gets. So many good things on that car that were innovative. This is not that car and wouldn't be good enough anyway.

This is a car aimed at a much different generation of buyers. I agree with pizzafan. You already have two GT cars in the Toyota stable right now and they don't do well. So what sense does it make to create yet another large two door?
Old 01-11-19, 06:28 PM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
A major engine upgrade is no where on par with cosmetic changes. M2 was only out for 3 model years before getting a complete engine upgrade. Why didnt they just put M3/4 engine in the first place? Its also a middle finger to M3/4 owners.
The engine in the M2 is a detuned version of the M3/4 engine. Since the M2 and M3/4 are almost the same weight, the M2 does not step on the M3/4's toes.

Originally Posted by MattyG
The MKV will never be good enough for MKIV owners and enthusiasts. Toyota already did the research on this and knows all of these things. So why try and fill that niche market? The MKIV is legendary and deserves every bit of the praise that it gets. So many good things on that car that were innovative. This is not that car and wouldn't be good enough anyway.

This is a car aimed at a much different generation of buyers. I agree with pizzafan. You already have two GT cars in the Toyota stable right now and they don't do well. So what sense does it make to create yet another large two door?
Agreed. A modern Supra is a hard sell in this market. The market for larger GTs is crowded and Toyota would have had a difficult time putting a dent in it because there are so many good cars out there making insane power that still handle well!
Old 01-11-19, 10:02 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG

This is all true. GT's are a hard sell these days. Therefore, what Toyota is doing with the Supra makes sense. But calling it a Supra does not. Maybe Celica would have been better for this type of vehicle. What I am seeing here does not do the Supra name justice. It's a new approach that should have a different name.
Old 01-12-19, 09:00 AM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

I just was stroked by something...

Even if the Supra isn't the FT-1...
Wouldn't it be impossible to go from this :

To Thiis :

?????
I mean... the bases sure look similar. Couldn't a bodykit fix this ?

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Supra