Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Supra

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-19, 09:02 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Benoit
I just was stroked by something...

Even if the Supra isn't the FT-1...
Wouldn't it be impossible to go from this :

To Thiis :

?????
I mean... the bases sure look similar. Couldn't a bodykit fix this ?
^^^ This looks like crap

The new Supra will be an EPIC flop by Toyota. D.O.A.....

Old 01-12-19, 10:16 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,642 Posts

nice bmw-iata...

Old 01-12-19, 10:26 AM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As already noted, the BMW M2 makes this thing 100% irrelevant.

What a stupid car and wasted opportunity.
Old 01-12-19, 11:49 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Benoit
I just was stroked by something...

Even if the Supra isn't the FT-1...
Wouldn't it be impossible to go from this :

To Thiis :

?????
I mean... the bases sure look similar. Couldn't a bodykit fix this ?
Its the proportions, stance, details. That concept was not based on a BMW roadster so they had to change so much to make it fit on the short roadster platform with very different proportions and stance that a body kit or lowering it will not make it looks just like the concept, it may make it look better in some ways but a body kit or lowering it won't change the new proportions/stance. The entry level BMW roadsters just were never great looking cars, always had a odd look to them, the M3's and M4's look much better, not sure what they did not just base the Supra on a 4 series or 6 series coupe if they had to do it for a BMW.
Old 01-12-19, 12:56 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Agree, reminds me a bit of the Miata coupe but more so the prior Z4 hardtop and older M Coupe versions...not necessarily a bad thing in themselves, but not befitting of my expectations at this time, of what a Supra should be, i.e. not stunted at the rear.

Just 2-3 more inches of rear overhang might have gone a long way in proportions and styling appeal to offset the (nice) long hood, though possibly at the expense of weight/performance. However, I still have faith that in person, it will impress.

Old 01-12-19, 01:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
However, I still have faith that in person, it will impress.

I agree with you. You never know, it might look great in person.
Old 01-12-19, 02:28 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

The other slap in the face besides weak styling, fake vents, no manual - it will have LESS HP than the Z4 M40i.
Supra is expected to have 335hp vs 380hp on the M40i.

I rather spend the $60k + on the MKIV....
Old 01-12-19, 03:24 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
This is all true. GT's are a hard sell these days. Therefore, what Toyota is doing with the Supra makes sense. But calling it a Supra does not. Maybe Celica would have been better for this type of vehicle. What I am seeing here does not do the Supra name justice. It's a new approach that should have a different name.
Yeah, the idea about dusting off the Celica name could have been something they should have thought about. It wouldn't have disappointed Supra fans and owners to this extent, and would have maybe lived up to the idea of a pumped up lightweight sporty coupe.
Old 01-12-19, 03:45 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Does anyone dispute that the Supra should of been based off the LC platform? With a Toyota built I6

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-12-19 at 03:50 PM.
Old 01-12-19, 04:13 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really disappointed with Toyota after all these years to revive the loooong awaited Supra this way. The 90's Supra is a legend, so much so that the best examples are selling in the 6 figures right now. Now they come along with an awkwardly styled, overpriced package that is destined to be a sales failure. The 4th gen, while now a classic, didn't sell that well because it was just too expensive. Adjusted for inflation, it was like $65K ($40-45K in the '90's). It died as a result. Why reintroduce it at such a price point? It should be around $40K TODAY. Doesn't need to be over-engineered. People just want a great looking sports car with some *****. What it needed to be was Mustang and Camaro money in a Japanese package.
Old 01-12-19, 05:42 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Does anyone dispute that the Supra should of been based off the LC platform? With a Toyota built I6
I don't disagree with them using the LC platform but they bench marked Cayman for the MKV and not a GT car and I doubt they would develop a new I6 motor unless it could be shared with other cars in the Toyota family.

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
Really disappointed with Toyota after all these years to revive the loooong awaited Supra this way. The 90's Supra is a legend, so much so that the best examples are selling in the 6 figures right now. Now they come along with an awkwardly styled, overpriced package that is destined to be a sales failure. The 4th gen, while now a classic, didn't sell that well because it was just too expensive. Adjusted for inflation, it was like $65K ($40-45K in the '90's). It died as a result. Why reintroduce it at such a price point? It should be around $40K TODAY. Doesn't need to be over-engineered. People just want a great looking sports car with some *****. What it needed to be was Mustang and Camaro money in a Japanese package.
Latest rumors on pricing below: No idea on what options on each trim will be guess we will have to wait until Monday or after for official details.

Car will have 340bhp

Pricing will be:
3.0 liter $49,990
3.0 Premium $53,990
Launch Edition $55,250

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/the...a-models.1500/
Old 01-12-19, 06:44 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I have been saying all along it should have been based on the LC with the LC's proportions and stance as the last Supra and SC shared a platform, I would have been happy with a NA V8, turbo V8, Toyota I6 or even the 3.5tt V6 from the new LS. If I wanted a BMW roadster and a BMW inline 6 I would buy a BMW. I would have been a little happier if they at least based the Supra on the BMW M4/6 series as those cars look pretty good, they look better in person then in pics, certainly better then BMW roadsters.
Old 01-12-19, 07:30 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well it's official now, Toyota can only turn to God itself to help them with the wheel stance since not even the BMW can't help them by giving them a whole freaking car with proper wheel fitting from the get go.
Old 01-12-19, 07:39 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Well it's official now, Toyota can only turn to God itself to help them with the wheel stance since not even the BMW can't help them by giving them a whole freaking car with proper wheel fitting from the get go.
A lowered test model was seen with 305 19 inch tires I think they will be ok, most stock fitments can be improved on. MKIV stock wheel fitment can be considered weak by some also.
Old 01-12-19, 11:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,642 Posts

Wouldn’t be surprised if a tesla 3 is faster and cheaper.

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Supra