Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2015 Genesis Sedan Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-14, 03:00 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Sure, you're paying less than comparable luxury brands but the things that concern me about Hyundai are "reliability, quality and resale value". These things weren't always synonymous with the brand.

Sure, let the 2015 "beta testers" give it a try for a year, then we can revisit with their findings.
Old 05-28-14, 03:02 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Resale value has been strong on the cheaper models and weak on the high priced models...but reliability and quality? I feel like that they have that down pat.
Old 05-28-14, 03:20 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

According to CR from their Owner Surveys, reliability of the Genesis sedan has been "Average". Owner Satisfaction has been "Above Average". The new gen is still to be determined.
Old 05-28-14, 04:26 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm just glad Hyundai and Jaguar are seriously pressing the issue producing all these worthy competitors eating up some of the market share, as it will make Lexus/BMW/Mercedes produce even better vehicles. Nothing like competition.

And at $40k, that new Genesis looks pretty nice, whether it's a derivative or not. Though I hated the way the early Genesis handled (steering was lifeless with no feedback and the suspension was not luxurious nor sporty, felt almost econocar-ish). But if they fixed that or even just improved upon it, look out! I still think the Elantra was one of the best small cars in the segment the last 4 years, before all the other manufacturers redesigned their small cars. The Elantra made a lot of today's small cars better, that's for sure. The new Mazda 3 took small cars to another level.

It's a good time to be in the market for a small car, they are MUCH improved.
Old 05-28-14, 04:38 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Getting 15% of their sales from luxury brands sounds pretty good to me. Before Acura lost their way, it was an outstanding concept based on the original GM model. Give the Chevy driver a car to move up to and keep him in the "family". Honda had the Accord selling in great numbers, but no place for customers to go as they made more money and wanted more luxurious cars. Acura was not created to take sales from existing Mercedes and BMW customers, but to keep the Accord owners from moving over to the German luxury brands. It succeeded for quite a while, then somehow they drifted off to Neverland.

With the Sonata selling in large numbers, it makes sense to try to keep people wanting to move up in the Hyundai family. Just as the original Acura Legend was already being manufactured and sold in Japan as the Honda Legend, the Genesis was already a home market car in Korea.

Steve
15% is impressive considering last gen genesis was pretty underwhelming. it really was a buick like. well at least to me it was.
Old 05-28-14, 04:39 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

It has aged pretty bad lol
Like all Hyundai's do

I still think the 1st gen Genesis looks better
Old 05-28-14, 04:51 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by yowps3
It has aged pretty bad lol
Like all Hyundai's do

I still think the 1st gen Genesis looks better
beauty is in the eye of the beholder. but there aren't many who would prefer last gen over this.
Old 05-28-14, 06:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by hlee12
15% is impressive considering last gen genesis was pretty underwhelming. it really was a buick like. well at least to me it was.
Most of today's Buicks are not the classic luxury-cruisers they were for decades.
Old 05-28-14, 07:27 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexBob2
According to CR from their Owner Surveys, reliability of the Genesis sedan has been "Average".
^^ This ^^

All the new Hyundais and Kias look all nice and shiny nowadays and maybe that's fooled a lot of people. But their reliability still sucks and the surveys year after year have proven that. So yea, kudos to Hyundai for blatantly copying the best design themes from other more established manufacturers and lying about their mpg figures to lure in new buyers, but if their reliability is still just barely average, then no thanks, I'll pass. Luxury brand or no luxury brand, they need to offer higher quality products not just higher quality looking products.
Old 05-28-14, 07:45 PM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lex2InfiN
^^ This ^^

All the new Hyundais and Kias look all nice and shiny nowadays and maybe that's fooled a lot of people. But their reliability still sucks and the surveys year after year have proven that. So yea, kudos to Hyundai for blatantly copying the best design themes from other more established manufacturers and lying about their mpg figures to lure in new buyers, but if their reliability is still just barely average, then no thanks, I'll pass. Luxury brand or no luxury brand, they need to offer higher quality products not just higher quality looking products.
I know it's not classified as luxury, but I got a genesis coupe brand new. 3 years of beating the ***** out of it it has never failed me except for some aftermarket parts that had some issues. I'd definitely get another Hyundai again without worry of reliability.
Old 05-28-14, 07:56 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Keep in mind that in CR's ratings Average isn't necessarily bad. For them to "Recommend" a car it has to have Average or better Reliability and score well in their Road Test.
Old 05-28-14, 08:02 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rkyat
I know it's not classified as luxury, but I got a genesis coupe brand new. 3 years of beating the ***** out of it it has never failed me except for some aftermarket parts that had some issues. I'd definitely get another Hyundai again without worry of reliability.
I'm not suggesting they're crap cars, I'm just suggesting that the great strides in improvements they've supposedly made over the past 10 years - a lot of it, is only skin deep. People are drawn to flashy designs that stand out. And I give them credit, I do like the looks of a lot (most) of the vehicles they currently offer. But do they really have any one specific model that is superior to anything else in its class? No. Not that I've seen - based on reviews and my own personal observations. I give them credit for offering RWD luxury sedans (something, for example, Acura has never done). But I don't like the fact that they lied about their mpg numbers and I'm not seeing any long term reliability improvements. With all due respect, a 3 year old car is still a fairly new car. Let's see how well your Gen coupe holds up after 10 years, 15 years. Will we be seeing 20 year old Genesis' still rolling around like we do with other brands? I'm not so sure.
Old 05-28-14, 08:27 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

^^ This ^^

Your bias against Hyundai really shows through in your posts. Just "barely" average? Average is average, let's leave it at that. You're obviously free to pass, but it's not like Hyundai's reliability is trash across the board, especially considering some of their models are above average in reliability (not the previous-gen Genesis, as noted). They certainly have room to go, but they aren't as bad as you're making it seem.
Old 05-28-14, 08:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

As to whether or not a Hyundai will still be rolling around 10 or 20 years from now. For sure. Really any modern car is reliable enough that it will still be on the road in 10-20 years with reasonable maintenance.

Anyways, I don't care if it lasts 10 years. I don't keep cars more than 3-4 years. The incredible Lexus longevity is wasted on me.
Old 05-28-14, 08:39 PM
LexFather

I'm not suggesting they're crap cars, I'm just suggesting that the great strides in improvements they've supposedly made over the past 10 years - a lot of it, is only skin deep. People are drawn to flashy designs that stand out. And I give them credit, I do like the looks of a lot (most) of the vehicles they currently offer. But do they really have any one specific model that is superior to anything else in its class? No. Not that I've seen - based on reviews and my own personal observations. I give them credit for offering RWD luxury sedans (something, for example, Acura has never done). But I don't like the fact that they lied about their mpg numbers and I'm not seeing any long term reliability improvements. With all due respect, a 3 year old car is still a fairly new car. Let's see how well your Gen coupe holds up after 10 years, 15 years. Will we be seeing 20 year old Genesis' still rolling around like we do with other brands? I'm not so sure.
You could easily be talking about Infiniti.

Quick Reply: 2015 Genesis Sedan Thread