Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2015 Genesis Sedan Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-14, 08:45 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
You could easily be talking about Infiniti.
Reminder from request above
Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Hlee12 and Lexfather, take the personal commentary about what each of you drive, press credentials, etc to PM should you wish to continue it.

Let's keep this thread on topic about the Genesis Sedan please.
and let's knock off the baiting comments as well.
Old 05-28-14, 09:02 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Your bias against Hyundai really shows through in your posts. Just "barely" average? Average is average, let's leave it at that. You're obviously free to pass, but it's not like Hyundai's reliability is trash across the board, especially considering some of their models are above average in reliability (not the previous-gen Genesis, as noted). They certainly have room to go, but they aren't as bad as you're making it seem.
Not biased against Hyundai, but I have seen some surveys where they were below average in reliability and it was fairly recent. Which is why I said "barely average". If they were matching Acura in reliability and offering RWD luxury sedans and matching their mpg claims, believe me, I would be praising them. Perhaps they will improve, but I just don't think their cars are as good as they look.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 05-28-14 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Removed response to OT. Let's keep on Hyundai please and not derail on other brands
Old 05-28-14, 10:27 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Hyundai's are on the flimsier side no doubt. The sheet metal and materials used aren't substantial and solid. And also they don't have first class panel gaps and assembly quality, an area where Lexus has always been the king.
Old 05-29-14, 12:22 AM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by yowps3
Hyundai's are on the flimsier side no doubt. The sheet metal and materials used aren't substantial and solid. And also they don't have first class panel gaps and assembly quality, an area where Lexus has always been the king.

i examined the new genesis carefully and i thought it was well built. flimsy would be an inappropriate word for this genesis. not sure about other hyundai's.

and i would rank audi over lexus in terms of overall build quality. lexus is the reliability king, but to me audi always has been the build quality king.
Old 05-29-14, 12:39 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by hlee12
i examined the new genesis carefully and i thought it was well built. flimsy would be an inappropriate word for this genesis. not sure about other hyundai's.

and i would rank audi over lexus in terms of overall build quality. lexus is the reliability king, but to me audi always has been the build quality king.
I've yet to see the new Grnesis in person. But yeah I'm talking about all the other hyundai models

audi has better build quality than Lexus? You kidding right?

Audi's build quality is so bad that I can slide my entire hand into the hood gap!
Old 05-29-14, 12:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

All the modern Audis I've seen have excellent build quality...
Old 05-29-14, 05:26 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
All the modern Audis I've seen have excellent build quality...
Same here.
Old 05-29-14, 05:50 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Audi is hit and miss, in my experience. Models like the A7, A8 and R8 are impeccably built, but you look at the Q5, A6 or A4, and especially the A3, and you're going to find some cheaper, shiny plastics and hollow feeling panels in the lower part of the doors and dash. I don't fault Audi for this because it's become the norm in the industry, but somehow Audi continues to get a pass for it and still earns a reputation for first-rate interiors.

I do think Audi does a very nice job with initial presentation and visual appeal - beautiful woods and stitching, well placed lighting and nice contouring. But in my experience, once you start to run your hands over different pieces and panels, and really gauge the thickness, grain and quality of some of the materials, there cars are no better than Lexus or some of the newer Mercedes, and in some instances, worse.
Old 05-29-14, 06:12 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Build quality and material quality are two different things. I agree that from the A6 down there are some cheap feeling materials, but everything is put together and finished very well.

Lexus is no different. The GS has nicer materials than the A6 I agree, but the ES, IS, RX, GX, CT have some downright terribly cheap interior materials...that are also assembled very well.
Old 05-29-14, 06:47 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^Good point about material quality vs. build quality
Old 05-29-14, 09:33 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Build quality and material quality are two different things. I agree that from the A6 down there are some cheap feeling materials, but everything is put together and finished very well.

Lexus is no different. The GS has nicer materials than the A6 I agree, but the ES, IS, RX, GX, CT have some downright terribly cheap interior materials...that are also assembled very well.
Someone frame this and get this guy a beer
Old 05-29-14, 10:10 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

brilliant post very well put on separating build vs material

Originally Posted by yowps3
Audi's build quality is so bad that I can slide my entire hand into the hood gap!
now i would really like to see that. any pics? not saying it's impossible, just think it will be good to see
Old 05-29-14, 11:07 AM
hlee12
Lead Lap

totally agree. IMO honda also has a great build quality. even if their material quality is down, they know how to put the car together..

if audi a6 is 9.7/10 in build quality, i would say this genesis is 8.5/10 ish. i really thought it was well built. material would be 7.5/10 ish. there were very nice materials, and some not so nice materials. but overall presentation didn't feel like there were drastic cost cutting like the previous gen. it looked and felt like 45-50k car.

Last edited by hlee12; 05-29-14 at 05:56 PM.
Old 05-29-14, 11:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Build quality and material quality are two different things.

I agree that from the A6 down there are some cheap feeling materials, but everything is put together and finished very well.

I'll agree with most of that (and, yes, it's a good post). But Audi, specially with the A6/A7 and A8, wrote the book on how to use attractive materials inside.
Old 05-29-14, 12:54 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Wow, it is quite unfortunate that some of us cannot be more objective here. I may not be the biggest Lexus fan, but at the same time I have great respect for and interest in what Lexus has done for the Japanese automotive industry and also the industry as a whole. Hyundai's DH Genesis from what I've seen (and felt) of it in person is not a poor quality effort, but a very good one in its category.

The problem Hyundai has is a general lack of innovation and massive stand-out appeal to its competitors, not necessarily "atrocious quality". The LS400 possibly may have not been as great of a success story, if Mercedes-Benz had successfully launched the W140 in late 1989 as planned (ahead of '91 recession) and BMW made more substantial updates for the E32 mid-cycle in 1990 (some were scrapped for E38 project, initially scheduled for 1993). We'll never know, as Lexus caught the German automakers with their pants down and nearly obliterated British and American luxury automakers.

Constructive criticism should be the main focus here, not directionless and superficial derision. I cannot say how many times I've seen between various new model launches, copycat accusations or baseless derision gathered from limited knowledge and access against the target of such opinions. I hope what I've said here isn't too off-topic.

Quick Reply: 2015 Genesis Sedan Thread