Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2015 Genesis Sedan Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-14, 04:01 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Did you really compare the iconic corvette and mustang to the genesis and Equus?!?
when did i ever compare those two?

brands place a distinctive logo on a product for a various reason. are you saying hyundai shouldn't try to make their luxury cars different than their normal offering? just because they are boring luxury cars?

here is another one.

Last edited by hlee12; 05-30-14 at 04:16 PM.
Old 05-30-14, 09:20 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
The CTS looks amazing in person from the front, truly dynamic and identifiable. The Genesis to me looks like they added a big random shaped grill sine everyone else is doing big grills. The CTS flows well, the Genesis kind of sticks out to me and just doesn't flow well. And they continue to omit the Hyundai badge on the front.
Totally agree. Love the CTS front end. The Hyundai Genesis front end looks like they were trying too hard to fit into the "big grill club".
Old 05-31-14, 10:00 AM
DaneAustin
Driver School Candidate

I sale cars for a living, and have for sometime now, I was with Honda the last 5 years, but due to change in ownership , decided to switch Hyundai, they seem to have the best warrenty, and you get a lot of features for a cheaper price.. I see it everyday peopling are tradind in BMW's, Lexuses etc......, for Hyundais, Im not saying one is better than the other, 6 months ago I did nothing but talk trash about Hyundai, now that I have took all my test and got the chance to drive them, I have had a change in mind..
Old 06-03-14, 02:44 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
those pics show we're truly in the era of the battle of the ugly big grills.

the cts looks particularly ugly there in white with giant cutouts in the corners.

I agree. That Caddy front end looks like it's trying way too hard.

I can't believe these humongo grills have caught on to this extent. But I guess it's an easy way to make a statement and make the car distinguishable. Oh well.

I miss the simple grills.
Old 06-03-14, 07:08 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

When will this obsessions with big ugly grills end?
Old 06-03-14, 07:39 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
When will this obsessions with big ugly grills end?
Personally, I like it for practical reasons. Less bumper area for rock chips. The way car design is going, there will no longer be bumpers... just big honkin' grills.
Old 06-03-14, 07:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by DaneAustin
I sale cars for a living, and have for sometime now, I was with Honda the last 5 years, but due to change in ownership , decided to switch Hyundai, they seem to have the best warrenty, and you get a lot of features for a cheaper price..
Although some things are slowly changing at Honda dealerships, for some years now, they have been living in the past, when the Accord and Civic and (along with rivals Camry and Corolla) pretty much dictated the auto business in America. Honda dealers didn't have to offer discounts, be particularly nice to customers, or really promote their products....there was always a line of buyers at the door with their checkbooks open. Well, guess what? The competition has not only caught up, but in some cases, even surpassed them now. Yet some of the Honda shops still act like it's the 1990s, when they could sell cars at will and dictate prices..

Having said that, though, IMO, there is still no better auto company in the business when it comes to assembling a car at the factory with Swiss-Watch quality. New Hondas and Acuras, even if they aren't necessarily the best-driving cars anymore, still come bolted-together from the plant with laser-like precision. But, as DaneAustin here notes, other companies, overall, now offer as much or more for equal or less money.

I see it everyday peopling are trading in BMW's, Lexuses etc......, for Hyundais,
I can understand people trading in some newer Lexus ES and IS models for Hyundai products....I'm not particularly impressed with those newer IS and ES models myself. And, let's face it....a number of BMW buyers have gotten hit by reliability problems after forking out big bucks for their vehicles..

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-03-14 at 08:07 PM.
Old 06-03-14, 08:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dseag2
Personally, I like it for practical reasons. Less bumper area for rock chips. The way car design is going, there will no longer be bumpers... just big honkin' grills.
...........so the chips on the road end up damaging the chrome on the grilles instead of simple bumper-paint. You just trade Peter for Paul.
Old 06-03-14, 08:11 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
...........so the chips on the road end up damaging the chrome on the grilles instead of simple bumper-paint. You just trade Peter for Paul.
I think replacing a gille is easier than repainting a bumper
Old 06-03-14, 08:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jwong77
I think replacing a gille is easier than repainting a bumper
Maybe so, but it probably won't be easier on the wallet...or the insurance company with their premium-rates.
Old 06-03-14, 08:58 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The majority surface area of these new big grilles is black plastic (not chrome). Damage to those finishes is very hard to detect. So rock chips on these big grilles will hardly show compared to rock chips on a painted surface or chrome trim. I think that is what the O.P. was referring to as far as damage and cost. I never thought about such an advantage to these gaping mouths, but there's a new one I'd put on my pros and cons shopping list!

The single, vertical headlight lenses and lack of horizontal frontal usage on the above Caddy is what makes the lower black cut-outs standout too much.
Old 06-03-14, 11:05 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

. .
Attached Thumbnails 2015 Genesis Sedan Thread-2015-hyundai-genesis-sedan-front-view-lights-on-2.jpg  
Old 06-03-14, 11:33 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The majority surface area of these new big grilles is black plastic (not chrome). Damage to those finishes is very hard to detect. So rock chips on these big grilles will hardly show compared to rock chips on a painted surface or chrome trim. I think that is what the O.P. was referring to as far as damage and cost. I never thought about such an advantage to these gaping mouths, but there's a new one I'd put on my pros and cons shopping list!

The single, vertical headlight lenses and lack of horizontal frontal usage on the above Caddy is what makes the lower black cut-outs standout too much.
agreed... if anything, any imperfections will be harder to see.
Old 06-04-14, 01:38 AM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why are so many fussed about this car? Every post in this thread makes the Hyundai viral marketers in this forum happy. Whoops, just added to their income. Hence this will be my last post here.
Old 06-04-14, 05:55 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mordecai
Why are so many fusseid about this car? Every post in this thread makes the Hyundai viral marketers in this forum happy. Whoops, just added to their income. Hence this will be my last post here.
Totally agree.

And as a final input from me, i'm glad that BMW hasn't participated in the 'gaping' grill frenzy.

Restrained elegance, no wonder it sells so well. ^^

Quick Reply: 2015 Genesis Sedan Thread