Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Starting spring install tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-12, 04:48 PM
Toxicxk23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Starting spring install tomorrow

So after 2 weeks of waiting, my H&R springs finally came in. I'm going to start this install tomorrow and split it up between tomorrow and Saturday (very very busy schedule). I'm planning on putting the front ones on tomorrow and then the rears Saturday morning. Is there any negative effect if I do some light driving for a few hours (not all at once) with just the fronts changed? Any tips before I start this? I have access to every tool I will/ever need. Thanks!!

edit: I am also planning on cutting the holes into the air box while I'm at it.
Old 05-18-12, 05:46 AM
Toxicxk23
Lead Lap

Bump...

any negative effects from driving for a day with just the front springs changed?
Old 05-18-12, 04:18 PM
eviljarv
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing wrong with doing one end of car first, might look funny but nothing that would hurt the car. After lowering it drive it a few weeks before aligning it that way you give the springs and suspension some time to settle, also don't forget to read the sticky about bushing preload.
Old 05-18-12, 05:48 PM
Toxicxk23
Lead Lap

Huge fail today...will elaborate later
Old 05-18-12, 09:27 PM
Dr3wSaL
Driver

uh oh.. I was looking forward to some pics of your fresh new drop. Good luck man!
Old 05-19-12, 01:03 PM
Toxicxk23
Lead Lap

So I went ahead as planned yesterday and attempted to install the fronts. After much trouble, I finally got the struts out. Compressed the springs and put the new ones on. But hold on! There is absolutely NO way to get the bottom of the strut to sit in the LCA straight. The spring seats dont even match up and I can't figure it out

Then I decided to look at the stock and H&R springs side by side. When I match up the top ends of the spring, the ends don't even come CLOSE to ending in the same area. Looks like H&R springs were about 1.5 ahead of where the bottom seat is.

Am I doing something wrong? I'll try to draw some pictures to describe. I should've taken pics lol

EDIT: I think I figured out what I was doing wrong... this pic is from the DIY

http://images26.fotki.com/v888/photo...SC03137-vi.jpg

I didn't separate the top from the rubber boot. I'm gonna take a wild guess that I have to do that in order to turn things to line up... How do I separate those two pieces? It looked like one whole piece when I saw it yesterday...

Last edited by Toxicxk23; 05-19-12 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-19-12, 02:36 PM
eviljarv
Driver School Candidate

Just use a screwdriver and should come apart fairly easy, then line up everything and you should be good to go
Old 05-19-12, 04:01 PM
Toxicxk23
Lead Lap

Ugh! I wish I would've known. Would've spared my a few hours. But hey, since I did it it once, this time should be a breeze. I removed the upper arm from the spindle because it was easier that way. Having access to any type of tool is a huge help

One of my concerns are the jack points. I put the stands on the sub frame but half of the stands arm sits under the skirt which scares me because I don't want to crack it or anything. Does anyone have a picture of where they put them?
Old 05-19-12, 04:11 PM
eviljarv
Driver School Candidate

I don't have a picture but I just put them right under the frame rail.
The more times you do it the easier it gets, I was able to do the whole car plus rear sway bar in 3 hours. I removed the control arm from the car instead of splitting the arm and upright.
Old 05-19-12, 04:14 PM
eviljarv
Driver School Candidate

Also, front was way easier than rear by the way
Old 05-19-12, 07:47 PM
Toxicxk23
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by eviljarv
Also, front was way easier than rear by the way
Yeah I've heard. That's why I'm gonna split it up. I noticed there were a few notches between the tophat and the rubber boot, is that where I pry it open? and do I need to keep the rubber boot?
Old 05-19-12, 07:59 PM
eviljarv
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Toxicxk23
Yeah I've heard. That's why I'm gonna split it up. I noticed there were a few notches between the tophat and the rubber boot, is that where I pry it open? and do I need to keep the rubber boot?
Its not harder just more time consuming cause you have to take every panel out of the trunk.
I didn't align the top rubber isolator to the spring, no need to imo and I kept the boot to protect the shock shaft
Old 05-19-12, 08:01 PM
eviljarv
Driver School Candidate

I made sure the spring was aligned with the bottom cup in the strut but the top doesn't matter, the weight of the car on the spring will make a new mark in the top rubber isolator
Old 06-03-12, 02:57 PM
Toxicxk23
Lead Lap

Finally got around to putting the front springs on. Did it myself and took me a little over 2 hours. No pictures yet but will take some soon. I have about a 1 finger gap in front now. I actually really like how the whole car looks with just the front springs lol 1 finger in front and about 2 in back. Gets rid of the "lexus lean" and makes it look aggressive Anyways, rear springs will go on sometime this week/weekend.

Ride quality has definitely gotten better from what I can tell. Turns feel tight with almost no body roll and it seems like its absorbing little bumps very nicely. Can't wait for the rears!!!

edit: Heres a pic. It's kinda on a slope but it doesn't look too different than when on a flat surface

Last edited by Toxicxk23; 06-03-12 at 09:15 PM.