SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Let's revisit coilovers (and airbags)!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-20, 10:07 AM
joemg
Instructor

Received 271 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by tayG
Where did you get your SPC 722701 from? I'm assuming those are necessary to get proper camber settings after coilovers install? I plan on going the same route as you with meisterR and this sounds like the most affordable upgrade so I don't end up with a heinous amount of camber.

Rock Auto, they had the cheapest price by far, and there's always a 5% off coupon around on top if it. Yeah, I needed them to get the camber/castor back in oem spec. I like lowered cars, but I don't like suspension failure. I figured I'd better to do the arms up front then learn a bunch of suspension parts wore poorly later on down the line.

I have 30mm RCA blocks (front & rear) to clear my big brakes, so that also plays a part in suspension geometry.
Old 10-22-20, 12:31 PM
st3rnly
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by joemg
Rock Auto, they had the cheapest price by far, and there's always a 5% off coupon around on top if it. Yeah, I needed them to get the camber/castor back in oem spec. I like lowered cars, but I don't like suspension failure. I figured I'd better to do the arms up front then learn a bunch of suspension parts wore poorly later on down the line.

I have 30mm RCA blocks (front & rear) to clear my big brakes, so that also plays a part in suspension geometry.
Thanks again for your help! I had been putting off getting coilovers since I knew I would need additional hardware to get the camber/castor right. The price of these makes it a little easier to stomach.
The following users liked this post:
joemg (10-23-20)
Old 11-10-20, 12:14 PM
BlkSabbath
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can someone list the braces mentioned above? Who makes them?
Old 11-10-20, 12:20 PM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by BlkSabbath
Can someone list the braces mentioned above? Who makes them?
Sorry, which braces? I have a whole bunch of chassis bracing.
Old 11-11-20, 10:16 AM
BlkSabbath
Driver School Candidate

That's what I'm curious about. What all is available?
Old 11-11-20, 10:57 AM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by BlkSabbath
That's what I'm curious about. What all is available?

Ok, lets see, here's what I've got:

Carbing front strut brace (Carbing 6210370) - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...l#post10633663
Custom rear strut brace - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...cs-inside.html (scroll towards end)
Cusco front lower chassis brace (Cusco 187 477 A) - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...sis-brace.html
Ultra Racing rear lower brace (ur-rl4-931p) - Just came in the mail yesterday, not installed yet.
TRD door frame braces (MS304-18001) - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...zer-brace.html

I would do them again, hard to measure exactly how much they help, but with the top down I don't feel any of the looseness that existed in stock form. Hard to believe this car weighs 3800lbs now by the way it handles.
The following users liked this post:
BlkSabbath (11-12-20)
Old 11-12-20, 03:42 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 146 Posts

Am I understanding this thread correctly? If I install a set of meisterR’s at max height as I do not want to lower the car much which Jerrod mentioned yesterday would drop the car around 25mm I need these adjustable arms to get correct the caster/camber?
Old 11-12-20, 08:55 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 146 Posts

Just ordered a set of MeisterR’s. Looking forward to finishing this sc430. At least for a while
Old 11-12-20, 10:11 AM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by Caflashbob
Am I understanding this thread correctly? If I install a set of meisterR’s at max height as I do not want to lower the car much which Jerrod mentioned yesterday would drop the car around 25mm I need these adjustable arms to get correct the caster/camber?

I would double-check that with Jerrod. From what I remember, he said they have a really wide range of adjustment. If I'm not mistaken, max height would actually be a "lift."
Old 11-12-20, 03:32 PM
BlkSabbath
Driver School Candidate

The SC430 I just picked up for my son, has a new set of MeisterR coilovers on it. They were mounted and setup too low by the installer, car had 20" wheels, and the car ended up thrashing the front driver side wheel well liner from rubbing on the way home from the shop. Car sat a few years before I picked it up. Need to replace it and get new wheels and tires, then setup the coilovers properly. I emailed Meister for a manual and suggested settings. He emailed me the PDF the next day and said start with 15F/20R clicks. Starting at Max Hard, clicking towards soft.
Post up your results when you install them. What wheels are you running? I'm struggling finding wheels with aggressive offsets. I'm only gonna lower it a little if any. Want to get the wheels on, then adjust from there.
Old 01-24-22, 01:28 PM
jszachar
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by joemg
That's a good point, the more I research this, the more I realize spring rate is not all that important. I think the the actual shock (damper) is more important, or as you said, the pairing of the two is the key.

The MeisterR's are very compelling, and in my head right now, they're the coilovers to beat. They have a great track record and I'm sure they're not harsh, everyone seems to like them. Though I am curious if I could shift the bias more towards comfort with a twin tube or dual spring design. I have so much bracing on this car, I'm not really worried at all about handling, it already handles fine for what it is (a luxury GT car) with my worn out original shocks.

(I have bigger front/rear sways, TRD door brace, front and rear STBs, & lower front chassis brace. I keep looking to see if an affordable lower rear brace shows up)

For your needs, since you already have brand new KYBs, maybe all you would need is some 15mm RCAs. Fronts are cheap and easy to find on ebay in custom sizes (search for the GS400/430). But I'm pretty sure for the rear you're going to have to go the sage route which is pricey.
Hiya there, Joemg. Would you please shed some light on: "(I have bigger front/rear sways, TRD door brace, front and rear STBs, & lower front chassis brace. I keep looking to see if an affordable lower rear brace shows up)". What these braces are for...