SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Let's revisit coilovers (and airbags)!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-20, 10:13 AM
joemg
Instructor

Received 271 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by digitatc
@Bgw70 if you bought the CS coilovers that could explain the hasher ride since it's primarily for Circuit/Track use. The RS series should have been better. It has softer spring rate options as well.

@joemg
Let us know how it goes.
The installation is prery much straight forward, so you can do it yourself and then use the rest of the stimulus money for an alignment. See the combined the instruction I made from WIL44 and add the torque spec. He made it clear and super easier.

I saw that the other day, thank you for doing that!

Here's a link to your post for anyone who didn't catch it:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...l#post10786889

Do you really have to remove the calipers or can you work around them? I'll have access to a lift, so I should be able to get some good angles to work.

My order is in, I asked Jerrick what damper settings to use for max comfort, I'll post his reply.
Old 04-25-20, 11:17 AM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

Heres a picture of the screw you are talking about on my 2002. It seems to be at a different angle to yours.
I am running on air and even with it slammed my tyres don't touch that screw. I have 19's with 30 profile tyres and they just touch the fender liner when it is fully down, strange.

Old 04-25-20, 11:22 AM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by WIL44
Heres a picture of the screw you are talking about on my 2002. It seems to be at a different angle to yours.
I am running on air and even with it slammed my tyres don't touch that screw. I have 19's with 30 profile tyres and they just touch the fender liner when it is fully down, strange.

I think mine looks weird because the shop that did all the fender trimming hacked it up a little trying to get it to not rub. I kind of wish they hadn't, but I told them to "make it fit" so it's not their fault.

I have 19s with 285/35, and ET25.

Jerrick recommended starting with the dampers at -15 front, -20 rear for maximum comfort and going from there. So I'll start there and see how it feels.

Last edited by joemg; 04-25-20 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-26-20, 09:46 AM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by joemg
Yup, stock shocks/springs. Yeah, I'm sure smaller tires would have made life easier. At first, I actually had 35s in the front which literally wouldn't work because they were rubbing the firewall (plastic sitting against it). I think you're right, the stock suspension moves quite a bit, even when people get in and out of the car. Even at the exact same height, I think the coilovers might not even rub because there would be less travel (I'm guessing).

I would recommend to anyone interested in such an aggressive setup to start with coilovers then do the rest.

Aside from the occasional rubbing, the car drives great with this setup. It's weird to want coilovers for height adjustment, not for handling. I can only imagine how great it would drive if I go for the coilovers. We'll see how my mission to reduce the height of the screw goes, maybe I'll get lucky and I can hold off on coilovers for a while. Now that I've seen those ceikas, they're definitely on my radar.

PS. That is a nice looking SC! Wheels go with the silver perfectly. Is that a body kit?
.....sorry for the delay.........but yes I do have a body kit. The sides & rear bumper are Job Design & the front bumper, is a 1 off custom. The top half is 06' Sc & the bottom half 08' Crown Royal (Japan)
Old 04-26-20, 10:02 AM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by texsexlex
.....sorry for the delay.........but yes I do have a body kit. The sides & rear bumper are Job Design & the front bumper, is a 1 off custom. The top half is 06' Sc & the bottom half 08' Crown Royal (Japan)

Whoa, that's awesome! Can you post a pic of the front? How do you get a custom bumper, is that something a body shop can do?
Old 04-26-20, 10:04 AM
texsexlex
Racer

Hmm.... I suppose you're probably right, maybe I should just go for the coilovers and kill 2 birds. Maybe the wheels did me a favor in revealing a failing/out of spec part.

I'm going to sleep on all the new information I digested, but my gut is telling me you can't do better than the MeisterRs for $1000. Guess that stimulus check isn't going to last long, lol.
...and thats what I was saying in my first post, your new setup/wheel combo has exposed the need for new shocks/coilovers. Most Sc drivers will never know it's time for new shocks, because the stock wheel setup sets so far inward, that it will never rub
The following users liked this post:
joemg (04-26-20)
Old 04-26-20, 10:12 AM
texsexlex
Racer

Whoa, that's awesome! Can you post a pic of the front? How do you get a custom bumper, is that something a body shop can do?
......yes I think any good body shop would be able to do it. There was actually a thread titled "bumper mashup" that some members started to experiment with options. I can't take credit for the bumper, it was actually created by a fellow CL member, but I purchased it, when he sold his Sc

The following 2 users liked this post by texsexlex:
joemg (04-26-20), okievision (04-30-20)
Old 04-26-20, 11:07 AM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by texsexlex
......yes I think any good body shop would be able to do it. There was actually a thread titled "bumper mashup" that some members started to experiment with options. I can't take credit for the bumper, it was actually created by a fellow CL member, but I purchased it, when he sold his Sc

WOW. That's incredible. Nice score!

and yes, you guys were right about exposing an issue, and I never would have realized until I put these wheels on. This forum has been so helpful.
Old 04-30-20, 04:47 PM
digitatc
Instructor

Received 263 Likes on 182 Posts

@joemg did you ask Jerrick what's the big diff between the ZetaCRD vs GT1 (double price?)
Old 05-16-20, 10:44 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 876 Likes on 701 Posts

If anyone is interested in coilovers, I am selling mine. Here is the advertisement in the CL classifieds. Make me an offer.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/market/944513
joemg (05-16-20)
Old 05-16-20, 01:03 PM
joemg
Instructor

@joemg did you ask Jerrick what's the big diff between the ZetaCRD vs GT1 (double price?)

I didn't because the GT1 is recommended for track use and also out of my budget. You can drop him an email, he's incredibly helpful, the customer service that has been mentioned on this forum is not exaggerated.
Old 05-24-20, 12:15 PM
digitatc
Instructor

Received 263 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
Okay, I might get blasted for posting here but I just took the car for a drive with the removed D2 coilovers, replaced with the OEM dampeners...this was my 2002...NOTE my 2007 is different.
anyway, it was a much smoother ride, but still stiffer than the the 2007, guess cause the dampeners are new.
i will add that if I was still in my 20s-30s, I probably would have been cool with the D2s. I selected them three years ago not knowing...
This is not a bash of coilovers, Mine might have been too stiff because of brand or setup...
@Bgw70
Did you keep the SPC 67510 Rear Camber Kit when you installed the OEM shocks or removed them? What's your new alignment numbers if you don't mind sharing? Thanks. I bought the SPC 67510 but haven't installed yet.
Old 05-24-20, 04:52 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

@Bgw70
Did you keep the SPC 67510 Rear Camber Kit when you installed the OEM shocks or removed them? What's your new alignment numbers if you don't mind sharing? Thanks. I bought the SPC 67510 but haven't installed yet.
As far as I know the camber kit is still installed. Will make sure they did not remove it.
the car drives great, tracks straight, no pull, tires seem to continue to wear correctly. I have a tread depth tool and measure when I refill with air.
here are my alignment numbers...

digitatc (05-25-20)
Old 05-29-20, 10:24 AM
joemg
Instructor

Do all coilovers for this car require you to disassemble the bottom part to adjust the height or just the MeisterR's? On my Miata you can freely change the hieght on the fly just by lifting up the car and turning the collars.
Old 05-29-20, 12:05 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Do all coilovers for this car require you to disassemble the bottom part to adjust the height or just the MeisterR's? On my Miata you can freely change the hieght on the fly just by lifting up the car and turning the collars.
the D2 coilovers I had on the SC430 required you to turn the bottom to adjust height.

Quick Reply: Let's revisit coilovers (and airbags)!