SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Let's revisit coilovers (and airbags)!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-20, 09:09 AM
joemg
Instructor

Received 271 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by TitanG545
Sigh I am now going down this same rabbit hole. One of the local shops suggested BC Racing BR coilovers to me. However they seem to be about the same price as Meister, I think it is just personal preference. Curious why nobody mentioned them in this thread?

Leaning towards Meister since people on the forums have spoken highly of them.
It probably is personal preference, I doubt any of the name-brand coilovers at the $1000'ish price point are going to disappoint. My top concern was comfort and the MesiterR's delivered on that better than I had hoped. That's not to say they don't handle like a dream, but I wasn't aiming for the track. I wanted to preserve the Luxury aspect of the car and they actually improved upon it.

Jerrick (the owner) has a SC430 which I really liked and he was really helpful and very fast in replying to all my questions through the buying/shipping/installing process. I even emailed him about the best way to handle the camber adjustment after the fact and he replied almost immediately with some good information. You'll see him mentioned a ton in old threads on here.

Btw, your stable of JDM legends is awesome. I'm eyeballing a 2nd gen MR2 for my next project someday in the distant future, lol.

1973 Datsun 240z
1987 Toyota Supra
1991 Toyota MR2
1997 Lexus SC400
2008 Lexus SC430
2014 Toyota Tundra SR5
The following users liked this post:
TitanG545 (07-14-20)
Old 07-14-20, 07:08 PM
TitanG545
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by joemg
It probably is personal preference, I doubt any of the name-brand coilovers at the $1000'ish price point are going to disappoint. My top concern was comfort and the MesiterR's delivered on that better than I had hoped. That's not to say they don't handle like a dream, but I wasn't aiming for the track. I wanted to preserve the Luxury aspect of the car and they actually improved upon it.

Jerrick (the owner) has a SC430 which I really liked and he was really helpful and very fast in replying to all my questions through the buying/shipping/installing process. I even emailed him about the best way to handle the camber adjustment after the fact and he replied almost immediately with some good information. You'll see him mentioned a ton in old threads on here.

Btw, your stable of JDM legends is awesome. I'm eyeballing a 2nd gen MR2 for my next project someday in the distant future, lol.
Thank you would love to add one more JDM to the stable. Yeah will probably go with the Mesiter because so many on here have good things to say about them.
joemg (07-14-20)
Old 07-14-20, 08:06 PM
TitanG545
Driver

Where did you buy your coilovers third party or straight from the manufacturer, I want to go through the same place so they know ClubLexus is still supporting them.
Old 07-14-20, 11:57 PM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by TitanG545
Where did you buy your coilovers third party or straight from the manufacturer, I want to go through the same place so they know ClubLexus is still supporting them.
I bought them straight from MeisterR: https://www.meisterr.com/products/me...0-uzz40-01-up/
TitanG545 (07-15-20)
Old 07-15-20, 08:30 AM
TitanG545
Driver

I bought them straight from MeisterR: https://www.meisterr.com/products/me...0-uzz40-01-up/
Easy enough thank you, will let Jerrick know.

Last edited by TitanG545; 07-15-20 at 01:05 PM.
joemg (07-15-20)
Old 07-15-20, 08:35 PM
joemg
Instructor

Default adjustable control arms

The Mevotech adjustable control arms arrived today. They are, in fact, SPC 722701's, they have SPC 722701 stamped into them and even the US Patent number. That's crazy since the SPCs are over $600 and I just paid $280.

I took up close pics of all the welds, they look great. Now that I have them in hand, I'm really glad I listened to digitalaltc and didn't go with the racerboi control arms, lol.
Attached Thumbnails Let's revisit coilovers (and airbags)!-img_8082.jpeg   Let's revisit coilovers (and airbags)!-img_8081.jpeg   Let's revisit coilovers (and airbags)!-img_8080.jpeg   Let's revisit coilovers (and airbags)!-img_8079.jpeg   Let's revisit coilovers (and airbags)!-img_8078.jpeg  

Let's revisit coilovers (and airbags)!-img_8077.jpeg  
digitatc (07-15-20)
Old 07-16-20, 11:29 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 876 Likes on 701 Posts

The Mevotech adjustable control arms arrived today. They are, in fact, SPC 722701's, they have SPC 722701 stamped into them and even the US Patent number. That's crazy since the SPCs are over $600 and I just paid $280.

I took up close pics of all the welds, they look great. Now that I have them in hand, I'm really glad I listened to digitalaltc and didn't go with the racerboi control arms, lol.
I have the exact same ones...

joemg (07-16-20)
Old 07-16-20, 11:39 AM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bgw70
I have the exact same ones...

Just curious, did you buy them as SPC or Mevotech?

Was there any noticable difference from OEM other than being able to dial in the camber/caster correctly? The tubular steel design is supposed to be much stronger and lighter than the original style, does that translate into anything noticeable handling or ride quality wise?

Thanks for posting the side-by-side pic... these look like absolute beasts compared to the stockers.
Old 07-16-20, 11:41 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

joemg (07-16-20)
Old 07-16-20, 11:57 AM
joemg
Instructor

awesome! thank you!
Old 07-16-20, 12:01 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Just curious, did you buy them as SPC or Mevotech?

Was there any noticable difference from OEM other than being able to dial in the camber/caster correctly? The tubular steel design is supposed to be much stronger and lighter than the original style, does that translate into anything noticeable handling or ride quality wise?

Thanks for posting the side-by-side pic... these look like absolute beasts compared to the stockers.
I purchased from a company called Ultra Rev inc. they were in NJ but are gone now. I have a packing slip from SPC but no price.
I don’t remember how much I paid, but I am sure I picked them up from this company because they were cheap.
my shop told me about the SPC 72270 and showed me their catalog. He told me to search online for a better price than it would cost him.
I saw your Mevotech SPCs on Rockauto, that is an awesome price!

these control arms have been on my SC430 since Aug 2015, no issues.

my suspension was in bad shape at the time, so yes, they improved the ride.
joemg (07-16-20)
Old 07-16-20, 12:08 PM
joemg
Instructor

I purchased from a company called Ultra Rev inc. they were in NJ but are gone now. I have a packing slip from SPC but no price.
I don’t remember how much I paid, but I am sure I picked them up from this company because they were cheap.
my shop told me about the SPC 72270 and showed me their catalog. He told me to search online for a better price than it would cost him.
I saw your Mevotech SPCs on Rockauto, that is an awesome price!

these control arms have been on my SC430 since Aug 2015, no issues.

my suspension was in bad shape at the time, so yes, they improved the ride.

Thank you for all the feedback!
Old 10-19-20, 04:42 PM
BrazenC5
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The MeisterR's are 12kg front and 6kg rear. It only matters relative to the dampers on a particularly coilover, not really for comparing 1 to another, that was one of the things I learned during all of this research.
The result looks great! I also got new wheels and tires (similar specs to you) and have a rub in the driver rear side due to a leaking shock. I decided to replace all shocks with OE, because I didn't want the car lowered (wife's car).

How much did the car lower after you put on your coilovers?
Old 10-21-20, 10:43 PM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by BrazenC5
The result looks great! I also got new wheels and tires (similar specs to you) and have a rub in the driver rear side due to a leaking shock. I decided to replace all shocks with OE, because I didn't want the car lowered (wife's car).

How much did the car lower after you put on your coilovers?

We actually forgot to measure it before, which made dialing in the height kind of a pain. I had to drive it around, and then if it rubbed, I raised it up a little, repeating that until there was no more rubbing.
Old 10-22-20, 09:29 AM
st3rnly
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

We actually forgot to measure it before, which made dialing in the height kind of a pain. I had to drive it around, and then if it rubbed, I raised it up a little, repeating that until there was no more rubbing.
Where did you get your SPC 722701 from, rockauto: MEVOTECH CMS861207? I'm assuming those are necessary to get proper camber settings after coilovers install? I plan on going the same route as you with meisterR and this sounds like the most affordable upgrade so I don't end up with a heinous amount of camber.

Last edited by st3rnly; 10-22-20 at 10:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Let's revisit coilovers (and airbags)!