Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

YES another Coilover thread HKS, Silk Road, JIC, Zeal

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-07, 09:23 PM
twizzler
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YES another Coilover thread HKS, Silk Road, JIC, Zeal

As the title states, yes I know this is another coilover thread. The Questions People should have asked!

I have searched, I am by no means new to internet forums or cars for that matter. I have had a couple different experiences with coilovers and different companies, such as KW, Tein, Omni.

Price is not really a conflict in my choice, although like most people u still want to spend the least for the best.

Goal:
HEIGHT mostly, but to find out about the more performance oriented suspension, I have seen alot of coilover threads and questions about valving but not that many threads that have PICTURES for that matter of their car with installed coilovers.

I want a Coilover that can go the lowest and still be able to hold some bump travel and not blow out the valving. I want a coilover that I can set to different heights depending on different situations, like everyday driving, hard driving/drifting and SHOW.<-show being the main part I will be accessed in like at HIN or Nopi. Almost none of the companies display ride height range anymore.

I WANT EXPERIENCE/PICS I DONT WANT HE SAY SHE SAY. I DONT CARE HOW WELL YOUR EIBACH/KONI SETUP WORKS, YOU DRIVE A LEXUS WHY DID U GO BOOTLEG<-PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS IF U ARE GOING TO DEBATE ABOUT THE PERFECT SPRING SETUP BC THE LAST 100 COILOVER THREADS HAVE IT IN THERE.

Options:
HKS Hipermaxx- The only reason HKS would be an option is this forum and SF seems to say alot of good things about them and they have a great name, and good valving. One major DRAWBACK is there is not a SPRING PRELOAD.
My question is this coilover good enough to be driven everyday at a low stance?
Anyone have pics of these coilovers installed? HEIGHT RANGE?

Silk Road (Interested in them the most if any one has any input)- This company will most likely be my choice, as they do have spring preload to maintain the spring rate. However a draw back not that much ready info on them and their history.
Anyone have pics or experience of them installed? HEIGHT RANGE?

Zeal- They are also an option, with spring preload. Good is the adjustment on the pillowball mount. Drawback would be the price mostly although I have never heard anything bad from them.
Anyone have pics of them installed? HEIGHT RANGE?

JIC magic- Pretty good coilovers, with spring preload. I have heard some interesting things about the valving outsourced but Im not 100% the sources are correct.
Anyone have pics of them installed? HEIGHT RANGE?

Tein - I will not include in this review, mostly bc it seems everyone on this board has their opinions about it, The CS does not lower enough to my liking. You have to pay extra for pillowball mounts with most of their suspension, and I had a set on my civic that blew out, so I am biased.
please do not debate about tein as there is enough information on these boards to decide if that is what you want or not, SEARCH.

Overall I think I will choose Silk Road coilovers unless someone with the know how/experience can provide great advice to change my opinion as I know there are plenty of people on these boards that can do so.

Thanks
Todd V
1995 Lexus SC project
1996 Civic Hatch B16B
Just for fun, a pic of my hatch as im sorta new to the forums

Last edited by twizzler; 01-16-07 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-16-07, 09:59 PM
Solarian
Driver School Candidate

HKS Hipermaxx- No experience, can't comment.
Silk Road - Someone I know and race with ran these and switched to Stance. He prefers the Stance. I've ridden in his car, and they felt about the same to be honest. He said Stance had crisper and more predictable damping. This is an S13.
Zeal- Again, no experience, but many view them as the holy grail of coilovers.

JIC magic- FLT-A2s, great coils, bit pricey, but great coils. Ridden in a car that has them. Probably the best coils I've felt.
Tein - The guy that owns the garage where I work on my car races on HA's. He's won his class 9 years in a row. He really likes them. Another friend has the Flex ones, I wasn't a huge fan of them.

That Civic looks hella nice.
Old 01-17-07, 08:03 PM
ZSC3
Lead Lap

MeganRacing Coilovers. . i have these on my ride right now... you dont want stiff? thats ok its 32way adjustable... and if you love to take your car to the track just turn that **** and your set. oh yeah another reason to get these is because they only cost anywhere fom 900-1000.. and also you can slam your ride to the floor with these.. i dont even have them all the way down and my ride is pretty slammed. ill post pictures later.
Old 01-17-07, 09:23 PM
Lucky SC
Lexus Test Driver

very interested in this as well, have u thought about adding a poll?

i just got new wheels and need to drop my car an inch or two, i dont like the slammed look and i want something that is gonna handle better yet not sacrifice the comfort.

i was lookin at Tein CS, in about 2 months or so ill be ordering w/e i decide so im very interested in results as well

props for good thread
Old 01-17-07, 11:03 PM
D1GP
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Silkroad: good coils, my bro's silvia got a set. Full ride height adjustment, stiff coils. A good friend of mine is the distributor for US. check out www.intecracing.com

Cusco: I personally got a set of Zero2 on my car. It is only 5 way damping ajustment, however, each setting gives dramatic differences. Who can really have the patient to tune a 32-way adjustment? come on now.... Not many people actually uses the Zero2s, don't think people know about them. But check them out. High Quality coils.
Old 01-18-07, 12:02 AM
breed
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Zeal Coilovers Function B6

Zeal Coilovers Function B6

Zeal, a subsidiary of ENDLESS, are reknown for their super premium quality coilovers that are still made in Japan.

Lexus SC300
14 kg/mm front, 10 kg/mm rear #160872

6-Way Piston Valve Shock (PVS) Dial mechanism adjusts the rebound/compression force with its Piston Valve Shock Technology, Level 1 being the softest and Level 6 being the stiffest. lightweight, Aluminum Rigid upper mount with rubber bushing decreases noise level and eliminates vibration through absorption.

And like D1GP said, "Who can really have the patient to tune a 32-way adjustment? come on now.... " I could not of said it better myself. That Ish Is Sooooo True.

Pros: 6-Way adjustable, Best Coilovers I have ever purchased. On the Real, I Love My ZEAL's, no squeeks, simple adjustments, Kick *** Quality.

Cons: Invest in Bushings or prepair for them to take a BeatDown. O Yeah and , Horsepowerfreaks has them for about $2,300.00 . OUCH!

Last edited by breed; 01-18-07 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Brain FART
Old 01-18-07, 10:00 AM
574-SC300
Pole Position

I would look into Stance they are well known in the 240sx community and they go real low. I was thinking about ditching my silkroads for them. You can order then from TougeFactory.com

http://www.stancesus.com/
Old 01-18-07, 11:22 AM
twizzler
Rookie

Originally Posted by ZSC3
MeganRacing Coilovers. . i have these on my ride right now... you dont want stiff? thats ok its 32way adjustable... and if you love to take your car to the track just turn that **** and your set. oh yeah another reason to get these is because they only cost anywhere fom 900-1000.. and also you can slam your ride to the floor with these.. i dont even have them all the way down and my ride is pretty slammed. ill post pictures later.
I'm not really interested in the Megan Coilovers for some reason. But I will look at some good pics if anyone has some.

Originally Posted by Lucky SC
very interested in this as well, have u thought about adding a poll?

i just got new wheels and need to drop my car an inch or two, i dont like the slammed look and i want something that is gonna handle better yet not sacrifice the comfort.

i was lookin at Tein CS, in about 2 months or so ill be ordering w/e i decide so im very interested in results as well

props for good thread
I have seen pics of the Tein CS maxed out, and I was not impressed with the drop at all>If you like low, I dont think they are a good choice, but LOW is different for each person.

I want to avoid a poll, bc a poll doesnt really give a review or pics of the product.

Originally Posted by D1GP
Silkroad: good coils, my bro's silvia got a set. Full ride height adjustment, stiff coils. A good friend of mine is the distributor for US. check out www.intecracing.com

Cusco: I personally got a set of Zero2 on my car. It is only 5 way damping ajustment, however, each setting gives dramatic differences. Who can really have the patient to tune a 32-way adjustment? come on now.... Not many people actually uses the Zero2s, don't think people know about them. But check them out. High Quality coils.
I never thought about Cusco, that is definately an option! As you can tell I am slightly biased for Cusco on my civic as I have a nice variety of cusco parts.
Do you have any pics of the setup? What kind of lowering range does it have? Do the cusco coilovers have spring preload?

Originally Posted by breed
Zeal Coilovers Function B6

Zeal, a subsidiary of ENDLESS, are reknown for their super premium quality coilovers that are still made in Japan.

Lexus SC300
14 kg/mm front, 10 kg/mm rear #160872

6-Way Piston Valve Shock (PVS) Dial mechanism adjusts the rebound/compression force with its Piston Valve Shock Technology, Level 1 being the softest and Level 6 being the stiffest. lightweight, Aluminum Rigid upper mount with rubber bushing decreases noise level and eliminates vibration through absorption.

And like D1GP said, "Who can really have the patient to tune a 32-way adjustment? come on now.... " I could not of said it better myself. That Ish Is Sooooo True.

Pros: 6-Way adjustable, Best Coilovers I have ever purchased. On the Real, I Love My ZEAL's, no squeeks, simple adjustments, Kick *** Quality.

Cons: Invest in Bushings or prepair for them to take a BeatDown. O Yeah and , Horsepowerfreaks has them for about $2,300.00 . OUCH!
Do you have any pics? Height Range of them?

Originally Posted by 574-SC300
I would look into Stance they are well known in the 240sx community and they go real low. I was thinking about ditching my silkroads for them. You can order then from TougeFactory.com

http://www.stancesus.com/
How are the Silk Roads for some reason I really am interested in these? Height range or any pics?

Thanks for everyones input! I want this thread to show all different variations pros and cons wise, this helps out a ton. I found this forum to be one of the most difficult to find information on actual REVIEWS/OPINIONS on items people have installed and would like it to be more helpful I guess, as I plan on explaining alot of stuff I will be doing in the future.

I would like to see pics too if possible!!!
Old 01-18-07, 11:34 AM
574-SC300
Pole Position

Silkroads are great they go low but Stance goes lower. I love the inverted setup in the front and the size of the dampeners. Silkroad is a great coilover but stance seems to be a little better. They are a great coilover and I have them on my 240sx currently. Stance also sell seperate spring with the coils so you can go lower. Also being slammed the Stance feel pretty good. I have installed a set and my friend daily drives on them. About 2 years ago I paid $1450 my silkroads but I was a little sceptical because you have to send them out of the country to get repaired and that would take awhile. I haven't had any problems with my silkroads but it would be nice if something happened they can be repaired in the US with fast turn around time. After dealing with Stance coils they seem to be better in almost everyway and they run 1200-1300 in price.
Old 01-18-07, 08:57 PM
twizzler
Rookie

Originally Posted by 574-SC300
Silkroads are great they go low but Stance goes lower. I love the inverted setup in the front and the size of the dampeners. Silkroad is a great coilover but stance seems to be a little better. They are a great coilover and I have them on my 240sx currently. Stance also sell seperate spring with the coils so you can go lower. Also being slammed the Stance feel pretty good. I have installed a set and my friend daily drives on them. About 2 years ago I paid $1450 my silkroads but I was a little sceptical because you have to send them out of the country to get repaired and that would take awhile. I haven't had any problems with my silkroads but it would be nice if something happened they can be repaired in the US with fast turn around time. After dealing with Stance coils they seem to be better in almost everyway and they run 1200-1300 in price.
Hmmmm. I did a good bit of research on Stance and alot of people are giving some pretty good reviews on the build of them and their adjustment. They seem to go pretty low. However I cant seem to find a distributor of their product other than Stance themselves at stancesus.com Very nice looking coilovers tho, pretty good price too
Old 01-18-07, 09:27 PM
Lucky SC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by twizzler

I have seen pics of the Tein CS maxed out, and I was not impressed with the drop at all>If you like low, I dont think they are a good choice, but LOW is different for each person.

well i dont need it much lower what so ever, an inch or two MAX is all i want... i'll prob drop it more in the front too and hardly at all in the back

with a body kit on there that'll be maybe even more then too low, my school forces me to battle with big speed bumps on a daily basis lol

sorry to steal the thread for a second but do u kno if the ride quality is good and if their is noticeable and worth it difference in the handling of the car with the tein cs??? i swear ill leave u alone after this haha
Old 01-19-07, 10:54 AM
twizzler
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lucky SC
well i dont need it much lower what so ever, an inch or two MAX is all i want... i'll prob drop it more in the front too and hardly at all in the back

with a body kit on there that'll be maybe even more then too low, my school forces me to battle with big speed bumps on a daily basis lol

sorry to steal the thread for a second but do u kno if the ride quality is good and if their is noticeable and worth it difference in the handling of the car with the tein cs??? i swear ill leave u alone after this haha
There is ton of info on all the teins on this forum as it seems thats what most people choose. From what I hear the CS is one of the better setups for mostly street, I am not that interested in Tein so I have been ignoring all of the threads, someone recently posted a pic of their car with the CS maxed out.

Up for everything else
Old 01-19-07, 03:28 PM
Lucky SC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by twizzler
There is ton of info on all the teins on this forum as it seems thats what most people choose. From what I hear the CS is one of the better setups for mostly street, I am not that interested in Tein so I have been ignoring all of the threads, someone recently posted a pic of their car with the CS maxed out.

Up for everything else
thats what i thought too...

until someone said "everyone knows tein is for posers"
and then 3 others right after agreed and no one argued with him...

i was like wtf??? i thought everyone loved them here
oh well, we'll see from feedback here
Old 01-19-07, 09:36 PM
Sly Guy Yu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tein is crap, they produce cheap coilovers, that's why people buy them. People that buy these coilovers usually never had coilovers b4, so they say "TEIN IS AWESOME" w/o any knowledge of coilover systems. That's why people think tein are good.

If you want a good coilover system follow the steps.

1. Figure out what you want to do (street, track, both)
2. Pick something w/ the spring rates you want that would go w/ what you use your car for.
3. Find out how much u wanna spend.
4. Research.

for me, i want a street and trackable suspension. And i would like to keep it as smooth as possible. Spring rates i would like would be around 12-14 in the front and 6-8 in the rear. I want the best valving and the best quality, spare no expense. So, my conclusion is that i want HKS hipermax II's
Old 01-19-07, 10:11 PM
twizzler
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sly Guy Yu
tein is crap, they produce cheap coilovers, that's why people buy them. People that buy these coilovers usually never had coilovers b4, so they say "TEIN IS AWESOME" w/o any knowledge of coilover systems. That's why people think tein are good.

If you want a good coilover system follow the steps.

1. Figure out what you want to do (street, track, both)
2. Pick something w/ the spring rates you want that would go w/ what you use your car for.
3. Find out how much u wanna spend.
4. Research.

for me, i want a street and trackable suspension. And i would like to keep it as smooth as possible. Spring rates i would like would be around 12-14 in the front and 6-8 in the rear. I want the best valving and the best quality, spare no expense. So, my conclusion is that i want HKS hipermax II's
You have some very good points here, but one thing I will disagree with is the HKS Hipermax's.
Before I got my SC i was all gung ho about getting a bunch of HKS parts as I loved the quality of their stuff.

Yes, I hear the HKS coilovers have great valving and are a very quality product, HOWEVER I cannot justify spending $1700-1800 on a suspension setup that does not have spring preload!!!! That almost defeats the whole purpose of getting coilovers IMO.

As of right now: my choices are being narrowed down to
1. Stance - the strut assembly looks like a tank and looks like it can take abuse and actually CAN from what I have read. CON- this company is still a new company and could very well dissappear next year.
2. Silk Road - I have heard very good things about them.

Quick Reply: YES another Coilover thread HKS, Silk Road, JIC, Zeal