SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Let's revisit coilovers (and airbags)!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-20, 02:09 PM
digitatc
Instructor

Received 263 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by joemg
Do all coilovers for this car require you to disassemble the bottom part to adjust the height or just the MeisterR's? On my Miata you can freely change the hieght on the fly just by lifting up the car and turning the collars.
wait, what? you need to unbolt the bottom bolt before you can adjust height? I thought you just need to loose one of the top ring, then adjust the bottom ring to change height?

Last edited by digitatc; 05-29-20 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-29-20, 02:14 PM
joemg
Instructor

Received 271 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by digitatc
wait, what? you need to unbolt the bottom screw before you can adjust height? I thought you just need to loose one of the top ring, then adjust the bottom ring to change height?

I contacted Jerrick and that is apparently not the case. It just seemed that way at first. I'll post after we finish.
Old 05-29-20, 06:11 PM
digitatc
Instructor

That's great to hear. Waiting for pictures.
Old 05-30-20, 10:25 AM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

You dont have to disconnect anything to adjust most coilovers. I have Megans and the simple adjustment is shown in this video.
The following 2 users liked this post by WIL44:
Bgw70 (05-31-20), joemg (05-31-20)
Old 05-31-20, 01:36 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 876 Likes on 701 Posts

A HUGE Thank You WIL and i apologize to the rest of you...had no idea they worked that way...guess I need to step away from the coilover discussion since I don’t know what I am talking about.
Old 06-01-20, 12:03 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
A HUGE Thank You WIL and i apologize to the rest of you...had no idea they worked that way...guess I need to step away from the coilover discussion since I don’t know what I am talking about.
That made me laugh, no worries.
Old 06-03-20, 11:19 AM
Mikokoro
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi! I recently purchased an SC430 coming from a Mazda 3s, 2000 Prelude and a 2004 RX8. I love my SC430 but it's just so floppy. I would like to firm it up and lower it a smidge. The issue that I am having is on spring rates and feel. I want it to corner flatter, and remain reasonably comfortable. I detest the side-to-side transition. I've been reading and searching and reading and searching and I cannot find anything conclusive (which makes sense, comfort is subjective), nor can I find a consensus of some kind. I was thinking BC BRs at 14/12 or 12/10 with Swift springs, but how do you all know what spring rates to get married to?
Old 06-03-20, 11:27 AM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mikokoro
Hi! I recently purchased an SC430 coming from a Mazda 3s, 2000 Prelude and a 2004 RX8. I love my SC430 but it's just so floppy. I would like to firm it up and lower it a smidge. The issue that I am having is on spring rates and feel. I want it to corner flatter, and remain reasonably comfortable. I detest the side-to-side transition. I've been reading and searching and reading and searching and I cannot find anything conclusive (which makes sense, comfort is subjective), nor can I find a consensus of some kind. I was thinking BC BRs at 14/12 or 12/10 with Swift springs, but how do you all know what spring rates to get married to?

From what I learned researching this, the spring rate doesn't really matter that much on it's own and the dampers affect ride quality more, but they work together.

The MeisterR are 12/7 and with the dampers adjusted to -15 (front) and -20 (rear) from max hardness they feel maybe a little more comfy than stock. I haven't really had a chance to drive around a lot as I just installed them and I need to adjust the ride height a little more, but that was my first impression.

Other things I've done that have really made a nice improvement in body roll and cornering in general are bigger sway bars (front and rear) and a lot of bracing (STBs, chassis braces, etc).

Once I get the height right I'll post some pics.
Old 06-03-20, 11:37 AM
Mikokoro
Driver School Candidate

From what I learned researching this, the spring rate doesn't really matter that much on it's own and the dampers affect ride quality more, but they work together.

The MeisterR are 12/7 and with the dampers adjusted to -15 (front) and -20 (rear) from max hardness they feel maybe a little more comfy than stock. I haven't really had a chance to drive around a lot as I just installed them and I need to adjust the ride height a little more, but that was my first impression.

Other things I've done that have really made a nice improvement in body roll and cornering in general are bigger sway bars (front and rear) and a lot of bracing (STBs, chassis braces, etc).

Once I get the height right I'll post some pics.
So, going into tightening up my SC, I know it will never be the RX, but sway bars and bracing did more for roll than coils? I plan on going through the car and doing most of this stuff. I'm just trying to build an "order of operations" so to speak. I'll probably still go coils first, because lowering, but for sure I need a planted feeling. I will say that I have read that sway bars and braces wonders for top down driving.
Did you go sways and bracing first?
Old 06-03-20, 11:54 AM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mikokoro
So, going into tightening up my SC, I know it will never be the RX, but sway bars and bracing did more for roll than coils? I plan on going through the car and doing most of this stuff. I'm just trying to build an "order of operations" so to speak. I'll probably still go coils first, because lowering, but for sure I need a planted feeling. I will say that I have read that sway bars and braces wonders for top down driving.
Did you go sways and bracing first?
I can't really say which does more because I did the bracing first. If I was to do this car again knowing what I know now, I would start with coilovers, just because they makes life so much easier when you go to do wheels/tires.

I didn't plan to do coilovers when I originally planned out my build, but a long chain of events forced me to it, lol. (Big brakes didn't fit wheels (theres a thread on that), new wheels rubbed fenders, coilovers adjust the ride height to fix that, lol). I learned the hard way on this car to always start with coilovers, I won't make that error again.

What I can tell you is that I REALLY liked the sway bar upgrades (Aristo front, ISF rear) even on stock 100k mile suspension. It's hard to tell if front STB did a lot, but my custom rear STB was noticeable. I liked the TRD door braces, easy install, a little pricey for what they are, but a $150 mod on this car isn't really that nuts since pickins' are slim for performance upgrades. I also really liked the lower chassis brace (there's a thread on that too), that one was noticable even with some of the other braces already in place.

Which RX do you have? I'm also repping Mazda with my NA Miata.

PS, if you're doing coilovers, you might as well do the sways while you're in there since you're unbolting them anyway.
The following 2 users liked this post by joemg:
Mikokoro (06-03-20), TitanG545 (07-14-20)
Old 06-03-20, 12:22 PM
Mikokoro
Driver School Candidate

I can't really say which does more because I did the bracing first. If I was to do this car again knowing what I know now, I would start with coilovers, just because they makes life so much easier when you go to do wheels/tires.

I didn't plan to do coilovers when I originally planned out my build, but a long chain of events forced me to it, lol. (Big brakes didn't fit wheels (theres a thread on that), new wheels rubbed fenders, coilovers adjust the ride height to fix that, lol). I learned the hard way on this car to always start with coilovers, I won't make that error again.

What I can tell you is that I REALLY liked the sway bar upgrades (Aristo front, ISF rear) even on stock 100k mile suspension. It's hard to tell if front STB did a lot, but my custom rear STB was noticeable. I liked the TRD door braces, easy install, a little pricey for what they are, but a $150 mod on this car isn't really that nuts since pickins' are slim for performance upgrades. I also really liked the lower chassis brace (there's a thread on that too), that one was noticable even with some of the other braces already in place.

PS, if you're doing coilovers, you might as well do the sways while you're in there since you're unbolting them anyway.
I suppose that makes sense. I'll have to figure out the sway bar situation next. Thanks for the info and insight. Once you get some wheel time with the coils let us know, I am curious.

I had a gen 1 RX8(04). Ayy NA. The Mazda is super fun to drive, I'd say it feels like what it is...a larger(heavier), more stable Miata. They are based on the same chassis. Everything about it is just click-click, snick-snick. Goodness, I miss it already (9.1K will never get old). Problems: zero highway appeal (DFW), terrible mpgs, small and less than comfy (road noise, tire noise). Driving stick in the city does get old after a while.

I still enjoy spirited driving when I get the chance, and honestly I'd be okay with a ride closer to Preludes and RXs than Lexus. The wheelbase and seats solve some issues.
The following users liked this post:
joemg (06-03-20)
Old 06-03-20, 12:53 PM
digitatc
Instructor

You really need to budget for what you need to do for this car or you will see a big hole in the bank account. I've never imagined spending more money on modding/replacing parts than the car cost itself.
@joemg probably knows it best.
The following 2 users liked this post by digitatc:
joemg (06-03-20), TitanG545 (07-14-20)
Old 06-03-20, 02:06 PM
Mikokoro
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by digitatc
You really need to budget for what you need to do for this car or you will see a big hole in the bank account. I've never imagined spending more money on modding/replacing parts than the car cost itself.
@joemg probably knows it best.
My plan is to tidy up handling, get PPE headers, find a decent exhaust, intake. In that order. I can see other minor mods after: port/polish, piggyback, wheels. Nothing too major. After that, I'd be done, but you know about the modding bug. But I really don't plan on going wild. I planned a good amount of this out before I even bought the car, but I didn't think the handling was going to be so wallow-y. The dude does not abide. I've been stalking the forums for about a month now (pre-registered stalking), and the coilovers are the most difficult thing to put my finger on. Everything else bolts on and badda-bing. I don't want to make a mistake on these because, the handling characteristics and suspension are fundamental. It's got to be solid. If there is anyone in the DFW area with coils and you don't mind a stranger having a short test ride/drive that'd be super great. But in these times and blah blah, that could be difficult. But right now, I don't dig stock SC430 ride. I also need to toss my runflats but they are all brand new, basically. That will be awhile.
Old 06-03-20, 11:24 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

I really wonder if the Spoon Rigid Collars would be the way to go...

https://www.rigidcollar.eu/rigid-col...0-uzz40-108784
Old 06-04-20, 02:17 PM
digitatc
Instructor

Isn't the collars useful only if you track/race the car ? My problem is if you make the car to rigid, then there you give up comfort. Too much bracing and you loose the smooth ride of the Lexus.
Megan Racing offers a set of collars for the rear of this car.
The good things about MeisterR coilover that JoeMG installed is that it offers the same or better comfort ride compare to OEM, while at the same time, it allows right height adjustment.

Last edited by digitatc; 06-04-20 at 02:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
joemg (06-04-20)

Quick Reply: Let's revisit coilovers (and airbags)!