SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Let's revisit coilovers (and airbags)!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-20, 08:21 PM
joemg
Instructor

Received 271 Likes on 191 Posts

Ok, I've now got all the rubbing taken care of, got the rear calipers replaced (no thanks to rock auto or powerstop), and I've FINALLY been driving with the new coilovers.

First of all, let me just say that every CL review of these in the history of the SC430 subforum was dead right. They are incredible. The car is better in every way, and a few you wouldn't necessarily think of:

They are far more comfortable than the stock suspension with the damper settings Jerrick recommended... I was really worried about that on this car, because I wanted a luxury ride. This is a much better luxury car with the coilovers than it was without.

The other thing that REALLY stood out is how much front to back slosh the car had when braking or accelerating before the coilovers. I didn't notice it until it was gone and the car feels like a much smoother, more controlled car. Faster takeoffs, faster and very smooth slowing down.

These are absolutely fantastic at this price point. The car handles likes its on rails but feels like you're riding on a cloud on the highway, even with the warzones they pass off as roads here in SoCal.
The following users liked this post:
TitanG545 (07-14-20)
Old 07-01-20, 08:40 PM
digitatc
Instructor

Received 263 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by joemg
Ok, I've now got all the rubbing taken care of, got the rear calipers replaced (no thanks to rock auto or powerstop), and I've FINALLY been driving with the new coilovers.

First of all, let me just say that every CL review of these in the history of the SC430 subforum was dead right. They are incredible. The car is better in every way, and a few you wouldn't necessarily think of:

They are far more comfortable than the stock suspension with the damper settings Jerrick recommended... I was really worried about that on this car, because I wanted a luxury ride. This is a much better luxury car with the coilovers than it was without.

The other thing that REALLY stood out is how much front to back slosh the car had when braking or accelerating before the coilovers. I didn't notice it until it was gone and the car feels like a much smoother, more controlled car. Faster takeoffs, faster and very smooth slowing down.

These are absolutely fantastic at this price point. The car handles likes its on rails but feels like you're riding on a cloud on the highway, even with the warzones they pass off as roads here in SoCal.
Pictures, come on, pictures
Old 07-01-20, 08:59 PM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by digitatc
Pictures, come on, pictures
LOL, don't you worry, I drive around and did a photoshoot today. I'll post some once I go through them all.
digitatc (07-01-20)
Old 07-01-20, 10:34 PM
Mikokoro
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"alright alright alright", looking forward to pictures and thanks for the quick review. It seems that everyone is over the moon about these MRs. Tossed between swift springs or MRs. What was your spring rate?Does that matter. Thanks for the little review
Old 07-02-20, 01:26 PM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mikokoro
"alright alright alright", looking forward to pictures and thanks for the quick review. It seems that everyone is over the moon about these MRs. Tossed between swift springs or MRs. What was your spring rate?Does that matter. Thanks for the little review

The MeisterR's are 12kg front and 6kg rear. It only matters relative to the dampers on a particularly coilover, not really for comparing 1 to another, that was one of the things I learned during all of this research.
Attached Thumbnails Let's revisit coilovers (and airbags)!-img_0073.jpg   Let's revisit coilovers (and airbags)!-img_0144-edit.jpg   Let's revisit coilovers (and airbags)!-img_0090-edit.jpg   Let's revisit coilovers (and airbags)!-img_0097-edit.jpg   Let's revisit coilovers (and airbags)!-img_0147-edit.jpg  

Last edited by joemg; 07-03-20 at 06:23 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by joemg:
TitanG545 (07-13-20), WIL44 (07-03-20)
Old 07-02-20, 01:57 PM
digitatc
Instructor

Received 263 Likes on 182 Posts

Very nice. Look like no more rubbing there. You still have the RCAs, right?
Old 07-02-20, 02:01 PM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by digitatc
Very nice. Look like no more rubbing there. You still have the RCAs, right?

yup, in theory that should "correct" the geometry of lowering. Also, my calipers won't fit without them, lol.

Going to drive it around for a week and then schedule the alignment if everything is good. I'll post the alignment sheet.
digitatc (07-02-20)
Old 07-02-20, 02:45 PM
KingReyes
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Congrats! Enjoy your new SC. It literally isn't the same car anymore
joemg (07-02-20)
Old 07-02-20, 03:23 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 411 Likes on 360 Posts

Nice job Joe.
joemg (07-03-20)
Old 07-03-20, 06:04 PM
Mikokoro
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is a tastefully done set up and colour (like my opinion matters). I mean that looks REALLY good joemg. Also, thanks for the spring rate/damper tip.
joemg (07-03-20)
Old 07-03-20, 06:06 PM
joemg
Instructor

I used 1.75" desk grommets for where the liner was cut for the dampers. The cuts aren't exactly perfect, but they look less off in person that at the angle of the pic. Not sure why the lighting of the carpets are so drastically different in the 2 pics either, they look the same color in person too, lol.

Amazon Amazon
Attached Thumbnails Let's revisit coilovers (and airbags)!-img_8056.jpeg   Let's revisit coilovers (and airbags)!-img_8057.jpeg  
Old 07-03-20, 06:25 PM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mikokoro
That is a tastefully done set up and colour (like my opinion matters). I mean that looks REALLY good joemg. Also, thanks for the spring rate/damper tip.

Thank you all so much for the feedback! I genuinely appreciate it! btw, you just reminded me, I edited my mistake in the earlier post, its 6kg rear, not 7kg like I said, I remembered wrong when I posted that.
Old 07-04-20, 08:52 PM
matttai
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joemg
I used 1.75" desk grommets for where the liner was cut for the dampers. The cuts aren't exactly perfect, but they look less off in person that at the angle of the pic. Not sure why the lighting of the carpets are so drastically different in the 2 pics either, they look the same color in person too, lol.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
how much tension does it take to turn the **** to make it click?

i'm considering just setting it once and not doing the cut outs and putting the covers back on.

i think i read way back that someone who did the install with the megan coilovers didn't do the cutouts and found that they had changed when they took the covers off again possibly due to rubbing. i may have remembered incorrectly.

was wondering if the case may be the same with these.
Old 07-04-20, 10:20 PM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by matttai
how much tension does it take to turn the **** to make it click?

i'm considering just setting it once and not doing the cut outs and putting the covers back on.

i think i read way back that someone who did the install with the megan coilovers didn't do the cutouts and found that they had changed when they took the covers off again possibly due to rubbing. i may have remembered incorrectly.

was wondering if the case may be the same with these.
it's hard to imagine it changing like that, but I suppose it's possible. It doesn't take a lot of force to make it "click."
matttai (07-05-20)
Old 07-13-20, 08:44 AM
TitanG545
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Sigh I am now going down this same rabbit hole. One of the local shops suggested BC Racing BR coilovers to me. However they seem to be about the same price as Meister, I think it is just personal preference. Curious why nobody mentioned them in this thread?

Leaning towards Meister since people on the forums have spoken highly of them.

Quick Reply: Let's revisit coilovers (and airbags)!