SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Techstream & Cable Problem and solutions

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-19, 08:23 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 544 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by mnewxcv
I have done just that and googled the topic quite a bit. I have not found any way to disable TPMS. What year is your vehicle? Perhaps that has something to do with it.

Everything on google says it is impossible, so please share.
I did on this thread, post #14. I know many posters on this forum have disabled the TPMSI'll look into it tomorrow, if I can find anything, I will share.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...0106-code.html
Old 01-14-19, 08:32 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

The TPMS disable thread is in the stickies
Old 01-14-19, 08:44 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
The TPMS disable thread is in the stickies
Yea, but Gman says he did it through TechStream. I looked around in my TechStream and I did not find it anywhere. His post in the other thread is not very specific. I could have missed it but I doubt it is possible. The government mandated the TPMS.
Old 01-14-19, 09:06 AM
mnewxcv
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by iolmaster
Yea, but Gman says he did it through TechStream. I looked around in my TechStream and I did not find it anywhere. His post in the other thread is not very specific. I could have missed it but I doubt it is possible. The government mandated the TPMS.
this. Thanks.
Old 01-14-19, 09:18 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

I have never seen anything in TechStream about turning off TPMS.
pretty sure he disconnected the two cables in the center console.
Old 01-14-19, 09:25 AM
iolmaster
Racer

This is his quote from the other thread.
" Ha, I must disable or reset the TPMS some how. So friends, you don’t have to unplug the connector, you can disable the TPMS by using Techstream."
Sounds like he felt he did.
Old 01-14-19, 10:58 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Haha, very funny BGW. I must have done in my dream. No, friends, I did not disconnect the connectors, I did with Techstream somehow.
To prove my words, I deflated the rear tire to 20psi, ran the car, after 5 minutes idling, still have no warning light. You can see the photos below.
I will look into this function in Techstream, hopefully I remember what I did. I will let you guys know.
Attached Thumbnails Techstream & Cable Problem and solutions-54004634-191b-4e12-b60a-666966a09753.jpeg   Techstream & Cable Problem and solutions-d4ca29f8-f484-4182-93a8-37a2c5cbbad9.jpeg  
Old 01-14-19, 11:12 AM
mnewxcv
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GmanSC
Haha, very funny BGW. I must have done in my dream. No, friends, I did not disconnect the connectors, I did with Techstream somehow.
To prove my words, I deflated the rear tire to 20psi, ran the car, after 5 minutes idling, still have no warning light. You can see the photos below.
I will look into this function in Techstream, hopefully I remember what I did. I will let you guys know.
appreciate you taking the time to check, I'll stay tuned.
Old 01-14-19, 11:16 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GmanSC
perhaps in the 2007-2010 there is a feature to turn them off.
i haven’t done any TPMS sensor work on my 2007...I only did work with the 2002.

it would be great to see some screen shots of the Techstream disable page.
if I get time, I can hook it up to my 2007 and attempt to locate the Techstream page.
Old 01-14-19, 12:26 PM
iolmaster
Racer

perhaps in the 2007-2010 there is a feature to turn them off.
i haven’t done any TPMS sensor work on my 2007...I only did work with the 2002.

it would be great to see some screen shots of the Techstream disable page.
if I get time, I can hook it up to my 2007 and attempt to locate the Techstream page.
I really don't think he is going to be able to produce any info at this point. I think it is highly unlikely that there would be software that can disable a federally mandated system. Below is part of the law dealing with the TPMS.

According to the law, “A manufacturer, distributor, dealer, or motor vehicle repair business may not knowingly make inoperative any part of a device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle or motor vehicle equipment in compliance with an applicable motor vehicle safety standard prescribed under this chapter....” The chapter this comes out of is dealing with the TPMS

If you read the law it states that the owner is allowed to disable the system but the others specified above can not. I doubt Toyota would even have that available in the software. We will see.
Old 01-14-19, 09:44 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

I really don't think he is going to be able to produce any info at this point. I think it is highly unlikely that there would be software that can disable a federally mandated system. Below is part of the law dealing with the TPMS.

According to the law, “A manufacturer, distributor, dealer, or motor vehicle repair business may not knowingly make inoperative any part of a device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle or motor vehicle equipment in compliance with an applicable motor vehicle safety standard prescribed under this chapter....” The chapter this comes out of is dealing with the TPMS

If you read the law it states that the owner is allowed to disable the system but the others specified above can not. I doubt Toyota would even have that available in the software. We will see.
OK guys, as promised, I went down the garage tonight with my laptop and hooked to the SC to find out what I did to turn off the TPMS warning light. But before I continue, let me rewind to what has happened.

One day, out of the blue, my TPMS light came on. Checked tire pressure, in cool temperature I found the passenger front little under. Inflated to 33psi, the light went off. Two days later, the stupid light came on again. Checked all tires pressure, everything was in spec. Figured out the sensor(s) might be bad, I used Techstream to find out which one. You know what? I could not, my software version did not have that option (?). So I played around with Techstream, and honestly I did not remember what I did, but the light went off and stayed off.
Ha, I must disable or reset the TPMS some how. So friends, you don’t have to unplug the connector, you can disable the TPMS by using Techstream. BTW, my Techstream sofware 10.30.22, cable firmware 2.0.4

So tonight, I found out what I did. Here it goes:

In System Selection Menu, I clicked on Tire Pressure Monitor, and clicked on Utility. Next screen, I had two choices, ID Registration and Signal Check. I clicked on Signal Check. On Signal Check screen, I selected All Signal Check and clicked next. I noticed the tire warning signal was flashing. Next Screen Techstream told me to perform all signal check per manual and click Next. At this step, I was fumbled, asking my self, check what? How? ( I did not have a screen like BGW, with all the voltages) I didn't know what to do so I just clicked on Next. After a few second, a screen came on telling me the system was failed. But you know what? After I clicked OK, the warning light turned off and stayed off. Today, it's still off as I did an experiment this afternoon: deflating the tire and no warning signal on dashboard.

So, friends, now you have it. Someone, please, do like I did to see you can produce the same result. BTW, my Techstream sofware 10.30.22, cable firmware 2.0.4 runs on Window 10.

Last edited by GmanSC; 01-14-19 at 10:58 PM.
Old 01-14-19, 10:29 PM
mnewxcv
Lead Lap

I have a rx400h and I will give that a try later in the week. I just installed some new wheels and I know one tpms sensor is bad, and on the rx400h, it triggers the tpms light, master warning light, and says check tpms on the display. Very annoying.
Old 01-14-19, 10:42 PM
mnewxcv
Lead Lap

oh, and for anyone curious, here is how you are actually supposed to use the signal check function:

Test Mode Procedure (2008 RX400h From 08/2007)

1. ENTER TEST MODE

NOTEHINT:
  • Operation of the tire pressure warning reset switch can be checked in TEST MODE.
  • During TEST MODE, the system is not initialized by pushing the tire pressure warning reset switch. The circuit of the tire pressure warning reset switch can be inspected during this mode.
  • Make sure that the ignition switch is off.
  • Connect the Techstream to the DLC3.
  • Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
  • Turn the Techstream on.
  • Check that the tire pressure warning light comes on for 3 seconds and then goes off.
    Click to Enlarge
  • Enter the following menus: Chassis / Tire Pressure Monitor / Utility / Signal Check.
  • Confirm that the tire pressure warning light on the combination meter blinks at 0.125 second intervals and "TEST MODE" appears on the multi-information display.
    Click to Enlarge
2. PERFORM SIGNAL CHECK

NOTEHINT:
  • When entering signal check mode, the tire pressure warning ECU sets all the signal check DTCs first.

After completing signal check for each inspection item, the DTCs for systems that are determined to be normal by the tire pressure warning ECU will be erased.

The DTCs for other inspection items may not be erased when only a certain signal is inspected.
  • When signal check returns to normal mode, all the signal check DTCs will be erased.
  • Make sure that the ignition switch is off.
  • Connect the Techstream to the DLC3.
  • Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
  • Turn the Techstream on.
  • Enter the following menus: Chassis / Tire Pressure Monitor / Utility / Signal Check.

NOTEHINT:

Every time the test mode DTC erasure conditions are satisfied, the tire pressure warning light comes on for 1 second. Then, the tire pressure warning light blinks at 0.125 second intervals.

• Drive the vehicle at 20 km/h (12 mph) or more for 3 seconds or more to check the vehicle speed signal (C2191/91).
  • Rapidly reduce the tire pressure for each wheel at least 40 kPa (0.4 kgf/cm2, 5.8 psi) within 30 seconds to check the transmitter data (C2181/81 to C2185/85).

NOTEHINT:

The transmitter ID can be transmitted by rapidly reducing the tire pressure.

• Turn the select switch from off (main) to on (second) and then to off (main) to check the select switch signal (C2192/92).
  • Check that the tire pressure warning system test mode DTCs are erased.
    Test Mode DTCTest SignalTest Mode DTC Erasure ConditionC2181/81 to C2185/85

Transmitter Data

Receive data from the transmitter which has a registered ID in the tire pressure warning ECU

C2191/91

Vehicle Speed Signal

Vehicle speed of 20 km/h (12 mph) or more is detected for 3 seconds or more

C2192/92

Tire Pressure Warning Select Switch

Change the mode by pressing the tire pressure warning select switch in the following order: MAIN → 2nd → MAIN

• Check the tire pressure warning reset switch.
    • Press the tire pressure warning reset switch.
    • Check the tire pressure warning indicator light.
      Test SignalNormal ConditionTire Pressure Warning Reset Switch

• Switch ON: TPWS indicator comes on
      • Switch OFF: TPWS indicator blinks
  • Result

NOTEHINT:

After the signal check is completed, check for a signal check DTC to confirm the system status.

ConditionProcedureSIGNAL CHECK DTC is output

Repair the faulty part and enter SIGNAL CHECK again

SIGNAL CHECK DTCs are cleared

No problem

• End of SIGNAL CHECK
    • After completing the test mode (SIGNAL CHECK), turn the ignition switch off and disconnect the tester.
  • DTC of SIGNAL CHECK (TEST DIAGNOSIS)
    • If a trouble code is displayed during the test mode DTC check, check the circuit listed for that code. For details of each code, refer to the "See procedure" below.
Old 01-15-19, 10:00 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 458 Likes on 384 Posts

Since they sell Lexi in many countries that don't have the Federal Mandate, I could see how they could make it possible to disable the TPMS system via software.

Obviously that is not what Gman did, but I could see how they would make it option.
Old 01-15-19, 10:31 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

My screen doesn't have the "signal check" option but then again I'm running version 8 and the 1.4 cable, also, my car is a 2002.