SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Techstream & Cable Problem and solutions

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-18, 08:35 AM
Avmanager
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The Version of the Cable is V.2.0.4 and the version of the software is. It is version 12 of the software. And the seller did the configuration on my laptop. It was Diagking from Amazon for $68.99. I didn't catch everything he did, but he copied all the files from the CD to the Harddrive, disabled the antivirus, Executed the files on the CD, made the Registry edits and it was up and running. I looked and he did the install in about 10 minutes and I went down and verified it in the car. I played around with it for about 30 minutes this morning checking the car for any trouble codes. If anyone orders this, it might be worth it to do a screen record or actually sit and log all the steps. I wish I had, but I was juggling a few things at the same time
Old 11-22-18, 08:42 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

So he did edit the registry. That was what I was expecting. Thanks. Glad that you got yours up and running.
Old 11-22-18, 08:50 AM
Avmanager
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yea,
I just knew with reading through what everyone else had done to get theirs up and running and I knew that I didn't want to try it. I can do most computer things, but when it comes to editing the registry, I draw the line...….
Old 11-23-18, 12:35 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 543 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by Avmanager
Yea, I can do most computer things, but when it comes to editing the registry, I draw the line...….
Same here. I attempted to do myself but gave up. The tech did the installation in five minutes.
Old 01-12-19, 10:05 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Default tire & sensor woes

I couldn't decide where to place this note, but finally decided that it may best fit here.

I had a couple of tires that were losing enough air to turn the TPS light on every 2 weeks after re-airing up the tires. It seemed to have started right after I got the new sensor installed in the fall and I reprogrammed the monitor to accept it. I thought maybe that I had damaged the valve stems letting the air out for the reprogramming. I took it to DT and they found a nail in one tire and a bent rim on the other (bent rim on the wheel with the new sensor). They also commented that the chrome was starting to de-laminate on one wheel creating rust and a slow leak. After searching for new wheels and refurbished wheels, I was told about a local shop that refurbishes wheels. So I had the 2 wheels refurbished (about $185) and placed them back on the car. Then since my tread was low enough, I took it back to DT to have 4 new tires installed. (I kept one (Continental) that was a fairly recent replacement, thinking that I can either sell it or use it for emergencies later.)

So I get the car back that day and the TPS monitor light is blinking and beeping. (The last time it did that was when the previously bad sensor battery had dropped below service levels.) So I knew that they had likely damaged one of the sensors during the tire installations. The salesman tried to check it out but since they don't have the proper tool to check our sensors, he really didn't help other than to delay my departure. His response was to give it 24 hours and see if it will reset and have Lexus check it out. (I knew that this was a load of *** but also knew that he didn't know what to do or how to determine what the problem was.) He did say that they would make it right.

So I took it home that night and placed my Techstream on it and sure enough, it couldn't recognize one of the sensors, my new (red) one of course. So after consulting with BGW, I tried to reprogram the sensors with the thinking that it somehow lost the programming/registration. Nope, the red one wouldn't respond but the other three did. So I took it back the next day and told him that the red sensor was bad and told him which wheel it was on and that they need to order the sensor from Lexus and replace it. (BTW, I noticed that after I reprogrammed the 3 sensors back in, the light was no longer blinking, just on solid, and the infernal beeping was gone, for which I was grateful.)

A few hours later, DT called and said that my car was ready. (Took about an hour longer than they initially indicated.) When I got there, I asked them to give me the failed sensor. (This was a different guy. The initial guy had just walked off before I got there. I don't believe this was intentional though. I did catch him when he returned since I was still there.) So he went to the tech and asked for it and came back and said that they had already thrown it away. I asked if he meant thrown away today and he said, no yesterday. I told him that we hadn't replaced a sensor the day before and finally then the whole truth came out. It turns out that the tech on the first day had broken the sensor and replaced it with a generic sensor that DT uses. So the sensor that they replaced on the 2nd day was the generic one being replaced by the OEM sensor that they had just purchased at my insistence. I could tell that the salesmen were pretty embarrassed about it since they also were just finding this out (multiple salesmen wound up being involved in the discussion). At least they were honest about it, at least once I started probing and pushing for the whole story. (The 1st tech just happened to be out that day but they said that they were going to have a talk with him when he returns.)

So my problems were caused by their installing a generic sensor which is not recognized by our monitor. I got home that night, reprogrammed the sensors with the Techstream and now all is well again.

So if you ever run into a similar problem, be sure to press the shop to tell you exactly what happened and if the story is nothing, ask to talk to the tech that worked on your car. Also always ask to at least look at the replaced components.
The following users liked this post:
GmanSC (01-12-19)
Old 01-12-19, 12:03 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Thanks Harold for the story, glad that you get to the bottom of it. One of my sensor went bad, so I just disabled all my sensors since I am not at the time to replace my run-flats. When I do need to replace my tires with Michellins then I will install all new sensors.
Old 01-12-19, 12:15 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

GmanSC, some places like Costco will do it for $15. DT will do it but it depends on where the store is as to how much they will charge. BGW got it done for free. They charged me for it. (They do flat repair for free, so one could argue that this is really no different from a flat repair, except that it is less work.)

So how did you disable your sensors, through Techstream or by disconnecting the cable underneath the ash tray?
Old 01-12-19, 12:28 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 312 Posts

GmanSC

So you ordered the Diagking cable with the techstream software from Amazon for $68.99 and then had the vender install it for you using remote access to your laptop? Is that correct? What OS was on the laptop that you installed it on?

Dennis
Old 01-12-19, 01:17 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Harold, tire pressure sensor cost $25-$30 each, plus installation and programming, I don’t think $15 will do, unless you’re talking about plugging the hole.
Dennis , I used Techstream to disable the sensor so no warning light.
I used to have an older version of Techstream and installed it on an XP window. I gave it away and bought the newer version and installed on the window 10 laptop.
It cost around 56 bucks (cheaper nowadays) and the seller will help you install it on your computer via team viewers software.

Last edited by GmanSC; 01-12-19 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-12-19, 02:09 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GmanSC
Dennis, tire pressure sensor cost $25-$30 each, plus installation and programming, I don’t think $15 will do, unless you’re talking about plugging the hole.
I used Techstream to disable the sensor so no warning light.
Where do you find sensors that cheap? All the sensors I've found have been in the $60 to $70ish range.
The $15 charge I was referring to was simply to do the swap out labor with you supplying the sensor.
Old 01-12-19, 02:33 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Harold, I just did a quick search on Amazon and saw bunch of them priced at that. I did not look close and they are probably generic or cheap madel.
Old 01-13-19, 07:01 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Harold57
Where do you find sensors that cheap? All the sensors I've found have been in the $60 to $70ish range.
The $15 charge I was referring to was simply to do the swap out labor with you supplying the sensor.
It depends on what year your car is. They changed from 06 to 07. The newer sensors are far less expensive than the color coded ones. Much easier to program also. I have never found generic sensors for the 02 to 06 years.
Old 01-13-19, 12:27 PM
mnewxcv
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Harold, tire pressure sensor cost $25-$30 each, plus installation and programming, I don’t think $15 will do, unless you’re talking about plugging the hole.
Dennis , I used Techstream to disable the sensor so no warning light.
I used to have an older version of Techstream and installed it on an XP window. I gave it away and bought the newer version and installed on the window 10 laptop.
It cost around 56 bucks (cheaper nowadays) and the seller will help you install it on your computer via team viewers software.
how did you disable them in techstream? I do not recall a 'disable tpms' function.
Old 01-13-19, 02:24 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mnewxcv
how did you disable them in techstream? I do not recall a 'disable tpms' function.
Can’t remember what I did, but trust me, I disabled the TPMS and don’t have the annoying yellow warning light. You just have to explore Techstream and play around with it.
Old 01-13-19, 05:35 PM
mnewxcv
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Can’t remember what I did, but trust me, I disabled the TPMS and don’t have the annoying yellow warning light. You just have to explore Techstream and play around with it.
I have done just that and googled the topic quite a bit. I have not found any way to disable TPMS. What year is your vehicle? Perhaps that has something to do with it.

Everything on google says it is impossible, so please share.

Last edited by mnewxcv; 01-13-19 at 05:38 PM.