RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Driver Side Window Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-11, 07:45 AM
jaadep
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver Side Window Issue

I tried to search for similar issues in the forum but didn't have an luck....

I have a 99 RX300. The driver window has started acting up. I can roll it down but have to wait a while to roll it back up. It will not do anything if I try up and down back to back. When I wait a while and roll it back up it goes REALLY slow and you can hear it groaning. All the other windows work fine.

When looking up window motors I get 2 results. One is for a regulator motor and the other a window motor. Are there 2 motors that work the window?

And am I looking in the right direction? Everything for this car is expensive. I don't want to just start replacing expensive parts and it not be the problem.

Thanks!
Old 11-01-11, 08:40 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by jaadep
I tried to search for similar issues in the forum but didn't have an luck....

I have a 99 RX300. The driver window has started acting up. I can roll it down but have to wait a while to roll it back up. It will not do anything if I try up and down back to back. When I wait a while and roll it back up it goes REALLY slow and you can hear it groaning. All the other windows work fine.

When looking up window motors I get 2 results. One is for a regulator motor and the other a window motor. Are there 2 motors that work the window?

And am I looking in the right direction? Everything for this car is expensive. I don't want to just start replacing expensive parts and it not be the problem.

Thanks!
What I would try to do is put some lithium grease on the glass run (rubber area upon which the window slide up and down) and see if that improves it.

Barring that, I'd remove the door panel, remove the regulator from the window and see how it goes up and down just holding it and pressing the button. You can lube up the regulator's rails with lithium grease, also.

The regulator is the metal piece that the window is connected two by two bolts (i.e. two bars connected by two metal pieces crossing) and the motor is just a black piece that attaches to it. Not sure if the website you are looking at is getting these things right, but there is only one window motor per window.

I used an aftermarket motor but the downside is that I no longer have auto/up down and have hold the button each time I want it to go up or down, but agree was not going to shell out $$$.
Old 11-01-11, 04:40 PM
ciao917
Driver School Candidate

My 02 RX300 had a burned out driver side window motor. Bought used one with the regulator attached to the motor. Made a mistake by running motor out of car to make sure it worked. When I installed it the window went down & stopped. When it went up it would go to the top & go down half way & stop. Read the reviews of the sameproblem and removed battery cable to reset motor. No good. When window gets to the top hold the switch in the up position for 10 seconds. Do the same in the down position. Does NOT work. My son in law got the RIGHT info for me. Here it is below and the window works perfect. WHO thinks of these fixes? Lexus to make more money.
ADJUSTMENT HOW TO RESET POWER WINDOW MOTOR (RESET LIMIT SWITCH AND PULSE SWITCH)If the jam protection is not functioned properly, perform the following procedure.HINT: If is necessary to reset the power window motor (in initial position for the limit switch) when separating the window regulator from the power window motor or operating the window regulator with the door glass not installed.a. Remove the power window motor.HINT: Place the matchmarks on the power window motor and window regulator gear.b. Connect the power window motor an power window switch to wire harness of the vehicle. c. Turn the ignition switch ON and operate the power window switch to idle the power window motor in UP side direction for more than 6 rotations or less than 10 rotates (4 seconds or more). d. Assemble the power window motor and regulator.HINT: · Install the motor when the regulator arm is below the middle point. · Align the matchmarks on the power window motor and window regulator gear when install the power window motor.e. Assemble the power window regulator and door glass.HINT: Never rotate the motor to the down direction until the completion of the window glass installation.f. Connect power window switch to wire harness and turn the ignition switch ON. g. Repeat UP and DOWN operation several times manually. h. Check if AUTO UP -> AUTO DOWN operates in automatic operation.HINT: · Take care that the jam protection function does not operate just after resetting. · Reset the regulator again when performing the reverse operating after closing the window fully by AUTO UP operation.i. Check the power window function.

This is information is the answer to this problem. Amen!!!
Old 11-07-11, 11:06 AM
ciao917
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=jaadep;6792895]I tried to search for similar issues in the forum but didn't have an luck....

Thanks![/Q
There is one motor in each door attached to the regulator. Read my post.
Old 11-07-11, 11:07 AM
ciao917
Driver School Candidate

There is one motor in each door attached to each regulator. Read my post.
Old 11-09-11, 11:09 PM
mcheesm
Driver School Candidate

Hi i have had the same problem, with mine i took of the driver side door buttons that control the window and notice when i took of the button that the t shape rocker for the button was broken.... i actually made a new one with hard plastic and it actually works.... first see if your buttons seem too loose...... if it is then its that part. its in the button above the spring.
Old 03-22-12, 08:26 PM
mno221
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same problem with my driver side windows, and the button is loose. Can the button be replaced.
Bat...
Old 12-18-13, 11:03 AM
DocNyr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mcheesm
Hi i have had the same problem, with mine i took of the driver side door buttons that control the window and notice when i took of the button that the t shape rocker for the button was broken.... i actually made a new one with hard plastic and it actually works.... first see if your buttons seem too loose...... if it is then its that part. its in the button above the spring.
Can you please post a picture of this button? Thanks
Old 12-18-13, 01:06 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by DocNyr
Can you please post a picture of this button? Thanks
Welcome to the Club.

The original poster to your reply has not been on the site in awhile, though you can send them a private message and they should get it via their email to respond to you.

I think I know what he is talking about with the window control module, taking it apart and adjusting the button (in this case broken for them) so they get a better contact point (for the electricity) to register when you are moving the window up or down.

I would also be interested in seeing what exactly they did.

Are you having a particular issue with your window?
Old 12-19-13, 04:30 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

I have a similar issue or maybe not. If not, i'll post a new thread. Once in a blue moon, my driver side window will go down and will refuse to come up. Perhaps it will come up about 3 inches and then decides to go down. Then, nothing would happen to the window for about 20 minutes no matter what I do to it. but mysteriously, it figures that it gave me enough hard time and responds to my command and come back up all the way without any fuss or noise. Come to think of it, it's a behavior not too different than the wife.......
Old 04-05-14, 08:04 AM
HadYurPhil
Rookie

There is a relay on the circuit board (actually there are two, it's the larger one), They go bad and will give exactly the symptoms you describe. The relay is out there; you'll have to search. It costs about $10, FAR cheaper than replacing the switch.
Old 04-08-14, 10:36 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

I think the relay is CR2-12V on the circuit board according to some other searches I've done.
Old 04-10-14, 06:11 PM
HadYurPhil
Rookie

That is the correct number.