LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Weird wind noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-17, 07:02 PM
jainla
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Weird wind noise

This is (I think) a new one.

I'm hearing wind noise around the driver's door. I've done the wind triangle fix; but this seems new. It's like the window is slightly cracked or something.

Oddly enough; if I roll the window down a smidge the noise disappears. I've checked the outside and nothing seems to be folding over; I can't see any physical change when the window is completely closed vs. rolled down a teensy bit.

Any ideas?
Old 09-27-17, 06:25 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

The window bump usually works as you have found out.

This worked for me.

​​​​​​https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-down-fix.html
Old 09-27-17, 06:53 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Yes, this is a common problem. I had it on my '07. I didn't try the above link suggestion but it's worth a try, I just got used to the "window bump".
Old 09-27-17, 07:45 AM
bigsherv
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

What is the wind triangle and wind bump?
Old 09-27-17, 08:23 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by jainla
This is (I think) a new one.

I'm hearing wind noise around the driver's door. I've done the wind triangle fix; but this seems new. It's like the window is slightly cracked or something.

Oddly enough; if I roll the window down a smidge the noise disappears. I've checked the outside and nothing seems to be folding over; I can't see any physical change when the window is completely closed vs. rolled down a teensy bit.

Any ideas?
If this is a "sudden onset" problem, then you need to check your "wind triangle" fix. The triangle trim is a subtle problem and requires careful repair and I think many fail to appreciate this. Some people do this repair without attention to detail and it is reflected in the effectiveness and durability. Sometimes substitute materials or adhesive are used and although there are lots of suitable substitutes, not everything is OK.
Old 09-27-17, 08:36 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bigsherv
What is the wind triangle and wind bump?
The "Wind Triangle" fix is to remove the little black plastic triangle in the corner of the front window (behind the rear view mirror) and seal the holes with silicone before replacing it. Google "JMcraney fix". The "Wind Bump" is to tap the electric window switch to move the window down maybe 1/32 " (just to relieve the pressure on the top window seal). Works wonders if the seal is old and leaking slightly.
Old 09-29-17, 01:50 PM
jainla
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jmcraney
If this is a "sudden onset" problem, then you need to check your "wind triangle" fix. The triangle trim is a subtle problem and requires careful repair and I think many fail to appreciate this. Some people do this repair without attention to detail and it is reflected in the effectiveness and durability. Sometimes substitute materials or adhesive are used and although there are lots of suitable substitutes, not everything is OK.
i think the triangles are probably ok. I used new parts for the repair (with the little fins) and then covered them with the 3M sealant pretty well. I didn't have any real issues before but I did the triangles as a prophalactic fix.

@johnnyg66 thanks for that thread; not sure why I couldn't find it. Seems like exactly the issue I'm seeing. I bought some of the Shin-Etsu grease for the door seals on my LS430 I'll look into it; and the modifying the top tip where the door card sits if necessary.

'll report back if I make any progress.

Thanks!
Old 10-05-17, 09:10 PM
jainla
Intermediate

Well I can report that hitting the bottom window seals (the ones that sit on either side of the glass) with the Shin-Etsu grease seems to have dramatically reduced the problem. I could see them pulling away from the window as it closed; but now I can see it sitting up against the glass. General wind noise seems to be lower as well.

I'm parking the car in a place where it gets a couple hours of sun on the driver's side; so it seems like those seals and plastics are drying out faster. I'm surprised that the seals (especially the door seals) seem to dry out more quickly than my LS430 does; but it may be a result of the history of this particular car.

i think the triangles are probably ok. I used new parts for the repair (with the little fins) and then covered them with the 3M sealant pretty well. I didn't have any real issues before but I did the triangles as a prophalactic fix.

@johnnyg66 thanks for that thread; not sure why I couldn't find it. Seems like exactly the issue I'm seeing. I bought some of the Shin-Etsu grease for the door seals on my LS430 I'll look into it; and the modifying the top tip where the door card sits if necessary.

'll report back if I make any progress.

Thanks!
Old 10-06-17, 06:30 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Well I can report that hitting the bottom window seals (the ones that sit on either side of the glass) with the Shin-Etsu grease seems to have dramatically reduced the problem. I could see them pulling away from the window as it closed; but now I can see it sitting up against the glass. General wind noise seems to be lower as well.

I'm parking the car in a place where it gets a couple hours of sun on the driver's side; so it seems like those seals and plastics are drying out faster. I'm surprised that the seals (especially the door seals) seem to dry out more quickly than my LS430 does; but it may be a result of the history of this particular car.
Interesting. I'm in the same boat. I did the "fin" triangle fix and very, very well sealed under it. I also did the doors with Shin-Etsu grease.

When driving say under 40, it's like a tomb (the above fixes did help) but, when I get on the highway (65-80), I get wind noise. Not bad but, very noticeable (I was a LS400, and a LS430 owner as well so there is a level of quietness I expect). I never thought of hitting the bottom window seals.

Question, did you just go over the top of them, or did you wedge your finger in and get bottom of them ?

I'm very low on Shin-Etsu grease (Had it through my LS400 and LS430) but, should be enough to tackle this.
Old 10-06-17, 06:45 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Dave: The window switch "bump" doesn't help? It pretty much got rid of the wind noise on my '07 (don't have this problem on the '14).
Old 10-06-17, 06:54 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Dave: The window switch "bump" doesn't help? It pretty much got rid of the wind noise on my '07 (don't have this problem on the '14).
Pulling off the door panels is not something I want to tackle this weekend, I am sure it's easy but, it's time consuming. The OP noticed he covered the window seal with grease, so figured, it would be quick thing to try, I wanted to see if it would help.

Wanted to go through easy stuff before getting into the bigger fixes. but, yea, that does sound like it would help.
Old 10-06-17, 01:29 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Well, I was referring to the window button "bump", not the window seal "bend"

The following users liked this post:
DavidinCT (10-06-17)
Old 10-07-17, 01:23 PM
jainla
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
Interesting. I'm in the same boat. I did the "fin" triangle fix and very, very well sealed under it. I also did the doors with Shin-Etsu grease.

When driving say under 40, it's like a tomb (the above fixes did help) but, when I get on the highway (65-80), I get wind noise. Not bad but, very noticeable (I was a LS400, and a LS430 owner as well so there is a level of quietness I expect). I never thought of hitting the bottom window seals.

Question, did you just go over the top of them, or did you wedge your finger in and get bottom of them ?

I'm very low on Shin-Etsu grease (Had it through my LS400 and LS430) but, should be enough to tackle this.
I just hit the side that faces up; opposite the sides that touch the glass. I figured that rubber had dried out and possibly shrunk a little; if that side contracts the trim will curl away from the glass and prevent the seal.

The other side seems to have some fuzzy surface so I didn't put the grease on there as it would have probably streaked the windows.

I haven't done a real eval to see if the noise is gone but the car sounds quieter; before I noticed a reduction in wind noise from the window bump (you can see the glass pushes out against the exterior of the car when the door closes but I haven't been in situations where I've had crosswinds which would have manifested the problem before. The bump now almost makes no difference in noise.

Oddly enough I had a creaking noise in my LS430 that was driving me nuts; and hitting the same seals but the outside part that sits under the horizontal window trim seems to have cured that as well. It's annoying because in all other respects the car is so quiet.

The Shin-Etsu grease seems pretty good. I usually use the Sonus Total Eclipse to lubricate the door seals (they also have a tire product with coconut oil that is thicker) but the grease will probably last longer. I'm gonna do the door seals in both cars and my 560 this weekend. The 560 squeaks like a mouse going over bumps so hopefully this will help.
DavidinCT (10-16-17)
Old 10-07-17, 03:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Taking off the door panels is super easy FYI, it can be done in about 2 minutes. Just be careful when you put them back you get the whole top on the rail just right.
DavidinCT (10-16-17)