LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Maintenance Required Question

Old 06-06-16, 09:29 AM
boz151
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maintenance Required Question

Hi - I have a 2013 LS and am getting a maintenance reminder when I start the car. I was curious to see if there was a place to see what maintenance is due in the user interface. I have looked in Maintenance, but none of the dates are set. Does it just automatically trigger from some factory reset at 4500 miles or so for the oil changes?

Thanks for the insight.
Old 06-06-16, 09:40 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by boz151
Hi - I have a 2013 LS and am getting a maintenance reminder when I start the car. I was curious to see if there was a place to see what maintenance is due in the user interface. I have looked in Maintenance, but none of the dates are set. Does it just automatically trigger from some factory reset at 4500 miles or so for the oil changes?

Thanks for the insight.
If you have not added any reminder dates/intervals in the Maintenance menu for the various items (Oil/Filter etc. that show up on the menu), I am guessing it is a factory default. I am also curious to hear from others.
Old 06-06-16, 10:09 AM
whitewater
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

unless you turn on in your on-screen maintenance section I don't think it will remind you.
Old 06-06-16, 03:51 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 351 Likes on 242 Posts

My oil light will come on every five thousand miles, it begins to warn me 500 miles or so before it's due...then it stays on till I reset it. Is this what you're talking about?
Old 06-06-16, 05:14 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Pretty sure that's just a reminder to change your oil. Any other issue would throw a different light/warning.
Old 06-07-16, 11:29 AM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I find it very weird that our cars are able to keep track of a plethora of maintenance but they made it tedious to enter the information. On top of that the dealer never bothers to fill it in either.
Old 06-07-16, 11:32 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by enoch861
I find it very weird that our cars are able to keep track of a plethora of maintenance but they made it tedious to enter the information. On top of that the dealer never bothers to fill it in either.
What information needs to be filled in? I haven't bothered to do that yet.
Old 06-07-16, 11:49 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by enoch861
I agree it is pretty tedious to enter the reminder interval/dates in the maintenance menu. I took one look at it and decided not to waste my time

I didn't go thru the menu options carefully, but I wasn't aware that the dealer could update info on the car's computers on every service visit. I wonder how many people REALLY use the maintenance menu, so it probably makes no sense for the dealer to update it. One can easily download the service history on Lexus site if one is using the Lexus dealer for all maintenance.
Old 06-07-16, 01:43 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Nice to have but I've never used mines and see no reasons to.
Old 06-07-16, 02:09 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by comotiger
I agree it is pretty tedious to enter the reminder interval/dates in the maintenance menu. I took one look at it and decided not to waste my time

I didn't go thru the menu options carefully, but I wasn't aware that the dealer could update info on the car's computers on every service visit. I wonder how many people REALLY use the maintenance menu, so it probably makes no sense for the dealer to update it. One can easily download the service history on Lexus site if one is using the Lexus dealer for all maintenance.
I use mine all the time, I have everything tied into that menu. Maybe it's just me, but I think it's one of my favorite parts of the car. I love being able to see how many more miles I have until I need to change my coolant, or rotate my tires, or change my oil, tranny, etc. As for the oil light, it's on a different program, that light is going to go on regardless of the maintenance menu.
Old 06-07-16, 02:49 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I use mine all the time, I have everything tied into that menu. Maybe it's just me, but I think it's one of my favorite parts of the car. I love being able to see how many more miles I have until I need to change my coolant, or rotate my tires, or change my oil, tranny, etc. As for the oil light, it's on a different program, that light is going to go on regardless of the maintenance menu.
That's great, Doublebase! I am sure there are many more like you

I wish there were some way for me to "import" your maintenance settings into my vehicle. Would save me a lot of time .

Can you please post here or PM me your settings? Thanks !
Old 06-07-16, 03:31 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by comotiger
That's great, Doublebase! I am sure there are many more like you

I wish there were some way for me to "import" your maintenance settings into my vehicle. Would save me a lot of time .

Can you please post here or PM me your settings? Thanks !
What I do is I just reset my settings after I do a maintenance item. For instance if I change my tranny fluid, I'll go into the transmission fluid icon...reset the date and add the mileage I want for the fluid to be changed again. With the transmission I set the mileage at 50,000 and it just ticks off the miles as I go...when it ticks down to 0, it's time for me to change it and reset it again. I do it with all the fluids. I believe there's an icon for coolant, brake fluid, brakes, battery, tires, oil, transmission, air filter, and probably more but I can't remember.

For me it's great, I drive a lot and I can't remember how many miles I have on my coolant, etc...this thing allows me to keep track and I don't have to enter that information elsewhere.

I'm sure not many people use it, but I love it, otherwise I'd have no clue when I last changed my rear end fluid and I'd end up driving 15,000 miles past my service interval, or changing it 10,000 miles before it's due. I'm just kind of **** with maintenance....this helps me be even more ****.