LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Dripping Trunk

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-18, 12:55 PM
aw001
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would say yes. Whenever i wash my car in car wash, i had on occasions opened the trunk to get my microfiber cloths, there were several drips of water that goes into the trunk... maybe less than 10, as supposed to some of the other poster which states there were significantly more.
Old 12-18-18, 05:21 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by venban
Continuing the thread on trunk leaks on LS . . . .

I got a CPO 2013 LS460L and was surprised to find a wet trunk when I got it washed the first couple of times. My trunk was very wet on the first wash and a bit wet on the second one.

Like Ft1, I also have three holes where there can be a molding attached. The previous owner might have lost it/ removed it/ or never had one.

Anyhow, is it worth the trouble to get the molding?
Based on Fto1's investigation above, the molding does not make any difference in the 2013 car - the drips from the corners of the lid have not been reduced one bit. The weepholes and trunk rubber linings are different even between the 2013 and 2014 models, so I am still tempted to try out the molding in my 2014 LS. Maybe in the spring...
Old 01-15-19, 03:37 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
Based on Fto1's investigation above, the molding does not make any difference in the 2013 car - the drips from the corners of the lid have not been reduced one bit. The weepholes and trunk rubber linings are different even between the 2013 and 2014 models, so I am still tempted to try out the molding in my 2014 LS. Maybe in the spring...
It is the start of a storm locally here and a steady rain all day today. I opened my trunk several times today and, surprisingly, did not soak the interior. There is a significant reduction in dripping water and I wonder if the rubber trim does in fact make a difference. I can't believe it. I only saw a total of 4-5 individual drops from the trunk lid instead of the series of drips and streams leaking at the trunk corners. Maybe my experiment/test a few months ago was too aggressive with the hose.
Old 03-22-19, 05:36 PM
JohnLS430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Father to 1

I have the same issue on my 2014 LS460 Fsport.
Dealer said there is nothing they can do, what's new there.....
Water drips from the sides of the lid next to tail light, the same area you outlined on your photos.
I see the same holes, figured they were weep holes and may be plugged up with debris.
Has anyone got a solution, fricking water soaked my manuals which hang out in the back corner of the trunk.

80K car should not do this, this is my 4th one.

Baaaah humbug.

John
Old 03-22-19, 06:29 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

I don't know if any channels are plugged/obstructed. I am curious about it, but not curious enough yet to put in the time to disassemble the trunk lid. I know the initial before/after tests did not suggest much improvement, if any. However, since adding that strip the dripping doesn't appear to be as significant. It still drips in the corners but the volume of water doesn't capture my attention like before. The issue is not cured but appears to have improved and we've had quite the rainy season this year. Previously I would be very reluctant to open the trunk with the amount of rain we've had but the dripping isn't too bad now. Basically, if the strip had been present at the time I bought the car then I probably would not have considered the dripping to be an "issue".
Old 03-24-19, 09:11 AM
JohnLS430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks to me like water is accumulating on the inside edge of the middle plastic cover (the one with the 3 weep holes that don't weep well).
I'm thinking if I block the water path coming around toward the trunk lid taillights that may help stop or slow down the steady stream of pee where the plastic cover meets the taillights..
Then again, maybe the weep holes are on the wrong side of the lip to be most effective.
Old 04-27-19, 09:58 AM
fmast342
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Silicone sealant for dripping trunk on 2014 LS 460

Here is what I did recently: using my finger, I applied some GE brand clear silicone to the seam between the trunk where the water seems to leak from. This is the stuff you would use in your bathroom. It sets in about 30 minutes and is waterproof. I put it on both sides of the trunk from the tail lights all the way down to almost the middle of the trunk where the seam really narrows. I did this for a portion of the trunk to test it and it rained the other day - when I opened the trunk it dripped but much less than usual and the water now mostly goes into the area where the hinges are that rotate the trunk up when it opens/closes - hopefully this isn't a bad place for water to get into otherwise I've just made a nuisance into a much worse problem. Today I applied more silicone to the remaining seam areas that I didn't cover the first time.

Last edited by fmast342; 04-27-19 at 09:59 AM. Reason: misspelled word
Old 06-05-19, 01:50 PM
NYCRx400h
Driver School Candidate

Default This is a pervasive Lexus problem

Lexus owners of many models have reported leak issues for at least 10 years. For example, Lexus issued a TSB about RXs 2006-2009 with seals splitting and resulting water damage. Often this is in hatchback or trunk. My insurance adjuster told me he sees leak problems with Lexus all the time, more than any other brand including Toyota. I have a 2007 RX400h and have had all carpets replaced, mold remediation, hatchback rebuild etc. all from leaks. Lexus IS fully aware of the issue. Interested to know if they have changed anything in the drainage system since 2009.
Old 06-05-19, 05:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by NYCRx400h
Lexus owners of many models have reported leak issues for at least 10 years. For example, Lexus issued a TSB about RXs 2006-2009 with seals splitting and resulting water damage. Often this is in hatchback or trunk. My insurance adjuster told me he sees leak problems with Lexus all the time, more than any other brand including Toyota. I have a 2007 RX400h and have had all carpets replaced, mold remediation, hatchback rebuild etc. all from leaks. Lexus IS fully aware of the issue. Interested to know if they have changed anything in the drainage system since 2009.
This is a totally different thing. Nobody is saying their LS trunk is LEAKING, its just when the trunk is open the water on the open trundled drips into the trunk.

I've owned 7 Lexus vehicles from 1998-2017and have never had any issues with water intrusion except once, and it was because of clogged drain lines from the sunroof.
Old 06-05-19, 07:11 PM
NYCRx400h
Driver School Candidate

Default Leaky Lexus

Good point, the leak you had from a clogged roof drain is a major problem for Lexi. So is condensation in head and tail lights. The trunk dripping phenomenon is quite similar to the hatchback drip reported by many, and which I have experienced for years. So many great things about a Lexus, but it’s sort of a suburban car, in that it operates best if always parked in a garage when not in use. Not a good choice if you need to park on the street in an area with plenty of rain and foliage. In other threads we have seen fixes- like using a coat hanger to clear the bottom of draining tubes where they terminate in the chassis, or having Toyota do an aftermarket extension of the the draining tube. All this could and should be fixed by Lexus, or at least regularly maintained by them. The problem is that it’s impossible for the owner to know when the drains are about to clog. Dealers and insurance companies are well aware of leaky Lexus.

Last edited by NYCRx400h; 06-05-19 at 07:16 PM.
Old 06-07-19, 08:53 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by NYCRx400h
Good point, the leak you had from a clogged roof drain is a major problem for Lexi. So is condensation in head and tail lights. The trunk dripping phenomenon is quite similar to the hatchback drip reported by many, and which I have experienced for years. So many great things about a Lexus, but it’s sort of a suburban car, in that it operates best if always parked in a garage when not in use. Not a good choice if you need to park on the street in an area with plenty of rain and foliage. In other threads we have seen fixes- like using a coat hanger to clear the bottom of draining tubes where they terminate in the chassis, or having Toyota do an aftermarket extension of the the draining tube. All this could and should be fixed by Lexus, or at least regularly maintained by them. The problem is that it’s impossible for the owner to know when the drains are about to clog. Dealers and insurance companies are well aware of leaky Lexus.
I don't consider a drain getting plugged once in a car over 16 years of ownership a "major problem". Drains clog in older cars all the time, I've had that happen in non Toyota/Lexus vehicles also. I have also never had a Lexus with condensation in its headlights, including that same ES which is still in our possession (its a 2003 with over 200k miles). I also have been a member here for a long time, and I don't recall ever reading about that being an issue.

That 2003 ES has sat outside since 2010, the sunroof drain clogged once and it was promptly taken in and repaired, no mold or water damage. I've also had other Toyota/Lexus products that sat outside and never had these issues, as have family members and friends of mine.

Bottom line is, if you sit ANY car outside under foliage and rain you need to be prepared to clear drain lines and such or you will have leaking. It like having a wooded lot and complaining your gutters get clogged on your house.
The following users liked this post:
sha4000 (06-07-19)