ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-4th-gen-2007-2017-178/)
-   -   Dripping Trunk (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-4th-gen-2007-2017/821808-dripping-trunk.html)

boz151 05-02-16 12:42 PM

Dripping Trunk

Hi -
I've owned my 2013 CPO 460 for about 5 months now and am pretty happy with it. I've learned a lot reading the forum here, so thanks for that. I was curious if anyone else experiences what I do, and if so has anyone found a good solution...

Whenever it is or has rained and I open the trunk, water drips from the lifting trunk onto whatever I have in the trunk because of the design of the trunk lid. There is no lip to route the water away so gravity naturally takes over and water gets all over everything I may have in my trunk, or just gets the carpet a little wet. Because the trunk lid has that wide, flat surface (1.5" or so) if carries more water on it than a traditional thinner trunk edge seam on most other cars. I'm not sure what a solution would be, or is it just something owners in climates where it rains/snows live with?

I admit a minor annoyance, but depending on what's in the trunk an annoyance none-the-less. I thought some of the creative folks on this forum may have come up with a workaround.

Thanks,
Eric

Scrutator 05-02-16 12:45 PM

Move to Southern California. :rolleyes:

But seriously: Maybe something like this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/231495160150

boz151 05-02-16 12:55 PM

Ha, yes the move to SoCal would solve everything !!

Thanks for the suggestion and I should have been more specific. The drip is from the bottom edge of the trunk where it essentially closes and contacts the rear bumper. So as the trunk raises, and that bottom edge goes from horizontal (against the bumper) to vertical over the trunk opening, the dripping happens.

jasone36 05-02-16 01:19 PM

Same issue here, majorly annoying indeed... :)

caha14 05-03-16 07:55 AM

As of now, this is winning the "first world problem of the day" award thus far...

I hear you; it's happened to me, though I avoid taking my LS out in crappy weather.

I don't have a specific solution, though some possibilities come to mind.

In principle, anything that makes the surface of that lowest section of the trunk lid (i.e., right along the bumper) more concave (slight lip vs. flat, as it stands), should force water to flow to either side when you open the trunk, instead of it going straight down. Alternatively, some sort of drip cap that's carefully attached to the lid where it meets the bumper should accomplish the same effect. It would, of course, have to be thin enough (to not scratch anything), small enough and in the right color (to not be noticeable).

Put differently, you need a gutter, whether by attaching a drip cap or reshaping that bottom of the trunk lid with a small piece of plastic trim that "blends in".

boz151 05-03-16 08:08 AM

First world problem indeed, but with no end in sight to the rain here in NJ for the next couple of weeks, an annoying problem. Unfortunately, or fortunately, the LS is my daily driver, so no luxury to only take it out when the sun is shining.

That said, seems like a design flaw to me.

GR6RR 05-03-16 03:02 PM

Maybe.. those universal door guards trims. slide it on the bottom of the trunk lid. it might make the water go left/right. In a sense, creating a small lip?
or just carry a micro fiber cloth, wipe her down before attempting to open?
I dont know... just thinking.... good luck!

caha14 05-03-16 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by boz151 (Post 9471489)
First world problem indeed, but with no end in sight to the rain here in NJ for the next couple of weeks, an annoying problem. Unfortunately, or fortunately, the LS is my daily driver, so no luxury to only take it out when the sun is shining.

That said, seems like a design flaw to me.

It's raining quite a bit here too (I'm in MA, not quite southern CA :-) ).

Of the last four sedans I've had, the only one without this issue was a Honda Accord, and what saved it was the shape of the lid - overall (it wasn't fairly-flat along the rear, like on the LS) and the area along the bumper was concave.

Originally Posted by GR6RR (Post 9472043)
Maybe.. those universal door guards trims. slide it on the bottom of the trunk lid. it might make the water go left/right. In a sense, creating a small lip?
Amazon.com: UNIVERSAL BLACK Door Edge Guard protection Car Auto Molding Trim 15 Feet D.I.Y. FIT CHEVROLET CHEVY FORD GMC DODGE LINCOLN JEEP CHRYSLER CADILLAC BUICK MERCURY SATURN #BLKDR1: Automotive
or just carry a micro fiber cloth, wipe her down before attempting to open?

I dont know... just thinking.... good luck!

That would, in principle, help accomplish what I had suggested. However, I didn't mention door trim because thickness of trunk lid in that area is a good 5x the thickness of a door, since it's the metal lid plus plastic bezel that license plate goes on, etc. That's why nothing off-the-shelf came to mind, but I wonder...

droclex 05-03-16 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by boz151 (Post 9470522)
Hi -
I've owned my 2013 CPO 460 for about 5 months now and am pretty happy with it. I've learned a lot reading the forum here, so thanks for that. I was curious if anyone else experiences what I do, and if so has anyone found a good solution...

Whenever it is or has rained and I open the trunk, water drips from the lifting trunk onto whatever I have in the trunk because of the design of the trunk lid. There is no lip to route the water away so gravity naturally takes over and water gets all over everything I may have in my trunk, or just gets the carpet a little wet. Because the trunk lid has that wide, flat surface (1.5" or so) if carries more water on it than a traditional thinner trunk edge seam on most other cars. I'm not sure what a solution would be, or is it just something owners in climates where it rains/snows live with?

I admit a minor annoyance, but depending on what's in the trunk an annoyance none-the-less. I thought some of the creative folks on this forum may have come up with a workaround.

Thanks,
Eric

Just got my '13 3 weeks ago and just noticed the exact same thing. I keep a big towel on hand to catch the water and feel like that's about all I can do to mitigate the issue. But since the car is put together so much better than anything I've ever owned, I give it a pass on this one..

mattchk 05-03-16 06:41 PM

This is the ONLY complaint I have in the switch from my 2008 to my 2013.

redlight30 05-04-16 04:23 AM

My 14' has the same issue. I finally got a Weathertech liner for the trunk so the carpet won't get wet. and yes after 3 days of rain in mass the arks are starting to get built!

fmast342 09-30-18 10:00 AM

I bought a CPO 2014 LS 460 and this issue is driving me crazy. Is the weather tech type liner still the best solution?

DerrickM 09-30-18 06:14 PM

Yeah, I've noticed that too every time I wash the car. I keep rags in the trunk to clean up any water than gets in. The other problem is dirt accumulates under the lower trunk lip if you drive in dusty weather.

jimrd 09-30-18 08:12 PM

Posted to another thread, may help you: My '15 would drip water (passenger side) into the trunk whenever the lid was opened if it had rained. I had the dealer fix it at my 5k service. All OK now. Here is the service record...might be something for you to check also.

SERVICE: REPLACED EXTERIOR TRUNK LID TRIM
DESCRIPTION: REPLACED EXTERIOR TRUNK LID TRIM ~ ~CUSTOMER STATES THAT WHEN OPENNING THE TRUNK AFTER A RAINNING DAY THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE TRUNK WILL DRIP WATER INSIDE THE TRUNK, HAS NOT NOTICE THE LEFT SIDE DOING THAT, ADVISE ~ ~POOR CONTACT ~ ~3101 SEAL ON EXTERIOR TRUNK TRIM WAS NOT CONTACTING PROPERLY 751991 1.2 TECH 497 REPLACED EXTERIOR TRUNK LID TRIM ( ENTIRE LOWER SECTION OF TRUNK LID) WATER WILL ENTER THIS AREA AND DRAIN FROM HOLES ON THE BOTTOM OF THE SECTION. SOME WATER DRIPPING ON RAI

FatherTo1 09-30-18 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by jimrd (Post 10320936)
Posted to another thread, may help you: My '15 would drip water (passenger side) into the trunk whenever the lid was opened if it had rained. I had the dealer fix it at my 5k service. All OK now. Here is the service record...might be something for you to check also.

SERVICE: REPLACED EXTERIOR TRUNK LID TRIM
DESCRIPTION: REPLACED EXTERIOR TRUNK LID TRIM ~ ~CUSTOMER STATES THAT WHEN OPENNING THE TRUNK AFTER A RAINNING DAY THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE TRUNK WILL DRIP WATER INSIDE THE TRUNK, HAS NOT NOTICE THE LEFT SIDE DOING THAT, ADVISE ~ ~POOR CONTACT ~ ~3101 SEAL ON EXTERIOR TRUNK TRIM WAS NOT CONTACTING PROPERLY 751991 1.2 TECH 497 REPLACED EXTERIOR TRUNK LID TRIM ( ENTIRE LOWER SECTION OF TRUNK LID) WATER WILL ENTER THIS AREA AND DRAIN FROM HOLES ON THE BOTTOM OF THE SECTION. SOME WATER DRIPPING ON RAI

Would love to solve this drip issue on our 2013. I am confused by which "external trunk lid trim" the SA is referring to in the notes. The only external trunk lid trim I could find is the strip of metal accent. Not sure how that would stop the drips.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Lexus-TOYOTA-...d5f9abffff10a6