LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

F-Sport Brake Pad / Rotor Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-19, 05:12 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question F-Sport Brake Pad / Rotor Recommendations

What’s going on guys / gals?

I own a 2010 Lexus LS460 Sport model with the 6-piston Brembos and it’s time for a brake change. My current stock brembo pads create dust like crazy! And they squeal / screech like something’s terribly wrong. I took them apart last night and realized how much caked / baked brake pad dust was build up all over the brake pins and hardware. I thoroughly cleaned / greased the pins and added some quiet product on the back of the brake shims.

My question is regarding what is the best replacement for a daily driver? I prefer low dust to braking performance because the dust is insane, I can meticulously clean the wheels and they will look black in a matter of days.

I found that Lexus / Toyota now makes a OEM Brembo “ceramic” brake pad replacement kit. This kit includes all four pads for the sport model, including the oem brake sensors for $112.00 shipped on eBay. Has anyone used this kit to see how they are with dust? I know there was a TSB for the F-Sport models where they replaced the pads and shims to updated part numbers, is this what I’m finding?

My other option is power stop ceramic brake pads, but I know Brembo OEM is quality. I’ve been pricing out Raybestos / centric rotors. I’m scared to do the powerstop Cross drilled and slotted kit as I’ve read that it caused vibration. I know the ISF guys have had great success with the raybestos / centric replacements.

Any help or insight from experience would be great. Thanks!
Old 06-06-19, 03:02 PM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

when I had my 2010 Sport, I switched to powerstop pads for both front and rear and never looked back. No more squeal compared to OEM pads and very little dust compared to the OEM pads. They can be had for cheap on rockauto.
Old 06-06-19, 04:46 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 145 Posts

I had to make a near panic stop today from nearly 80. Akebono? rotors and ceramic pads. Felt like a race car. Wife complained. Strong enough for me and I am a xracer. Could modulate the pedal in the hard stop easily.

now whether or not I can do that 10 times in a row is a different idea.
Old 06-06-19, 04:58 PM
DedBirdDog
Intermediate

Received 146 Likes on 96 Posts

EBC Red if they are available. If you need to replace rotors, go with cryo-treated and with EBC Red you will never do this again.
Old 06-07-19, 09:31 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FunFact
You really want to cheap out with a no-name, no quality kit on the single most vital aspect of your vehicle? You should rethink that.
Buy ceramic pads if you want less dust, but buy it from a company with a reputation to uphold. No China’s finest no-R&D pieces.
I’m asking for OEM Brembo ceramic pad advice, not trying to cheap out on anything.

I’ll take a look at the EBC, I noticed they don’t make a “green” version for the sport model. I couldn’t find akebono ceramic pads either, I’ll keep digging. Seems like most people are happy with the Power Stop ceramic option too.
Old 06-07-19, 10:13 AM
ALK
Advanced

Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by HiPSI
I’m asking for OEM Brembo ceramic pad advice, not trying to cheap out on anything.

I’ll take a look at the EBC, I noticed they don’t make a “green” version for the sport model. I couldn’t find akebono ceramic pads either, I’ll keep digging. Seems like most people are happy with the Power Stop ceramic option too.
Due to larger caliper size . I think your options are limited .
Old 06-07-19, 11:32 AM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

Another F Sport/Sport brake thread...

Project Mu for the big spenders. They bite hard just like Brembos and are low dust. I’m very happy with mine and slotted OEM rotor. However they sometimes squeal even a year later. I suspect my bedding in process is partially to blame.
Old 06-07-19, 11:39 AM
ALK
Advanced

Originally Posted by VanCityLS4
Another F Sport/Sport brake thread...

Project Mu for the big spenders. They bite hard just like Brembos and are low dust. I’m very happy with mine and slotted OEM rotor. However they sometimes squeal even a year later. I suspect my bedding in process is partially to blame.
Btw is the slotted rotor come on the f sport standard? Or you installed the RCF rotors ?
Old 06-07-19, 11:46 AM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

I sent them out to get slotted.

LS460s run 5x120 bolt pattern, you can’t run other F car rotors. However the part number is identical for GSF pad sizes. ISF’s run slightly smaller pads? and 14.8” rotors.
Old 06-07-19, 11:50 AM
ALK
Advanced

Originally Posted by VanCityLS4
I sent them out to get slotted.

LS460s run 5x120 bolt pattern, you can’t run other F car rotors. However the part number is identical for GSF pad sizes. ISF’s run slightly smaller pads? and 14.8” rotors.
Currently I am sourcing a clean f-sport front calipers for my 07 LS . I got them from Japan used . But the only issue is researching the pads . How much did the front set pads cost you ?
Old 06-07-19, 11:58 AM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

$370 for the front pair of Type NS. I’m sure OEM Brembos are right up there.